User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EMS first, because there is just too many electrical components that could be adversely affected by an electrical issue at the pedestal, whether from a sudden surge in power, a drop in current below a safe operating threshold or wiring issue at the pedestal. As an example the EMS I installed paid for itself a week after installing it, then a few times since with a drop in voltage, a surge from a lighting strike, a mis wired pedestal and even a surge in voltage due to a scorpion getting into the electrical panel. Stuff happens.
    Second a TPMS but IMHO if at all possible, I would get both at the same time because a sudden or even a gradual loss in tire pressure while traveling can be catastrophic so a TPMS IMHO is an essential piece of equipment I would never leave home without... wait this is my home.
    As for a backup camera I do not consider it an essential item, rather a nice thing to have if funds permit. We had our 5er a year and a half before buying one and while it has been nice to have, we did quite well without it.
    Last edited by BB&LAB; 08-12-2020 at 08:42 AM.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is hard to choose between a TPMS and EMS. Both can be critical. Plus the TPMS can save you from bad tires. Replacement tires next, and finally a rear camera. But all good upgrades.
    Greg and Colleen Gates
    Albuquerque, NM
    2020 Solitude 344 GK
    2019 F350 Lariat Superduty DRW

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggates View Post
    It is hard to choose between a TPMS and EMS. Both can be critical. Plus the TPMS can save you from bad tires. Replacement tires next, and finally a rear camera. But all good upgrades.
    I'll have to disagree with you there... a TPMS can do nothing to prevent delamination of a tire nor prevent the resulting damage to the trailer (which can be in the thousands or dollars). There's no warning in a case like that. I would vote for a tire upgrade first, then EMS and TPMS as budget allows.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 08-12-2020 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Spell checker doesn't catch if if you spell the wrong word correctly...
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I'll have to disagree with you there... a TPMS can do nothing to prevent denomination of a tire nor prevent the resulting damage to the trailer (which can be in the thousands or dollars). There's no warning in a case like that. I would vote for a tire upgrade first, then EMS and TPMS as budget allows.

Rob
    I think this is the route I'm going to follow.

Thanks all!
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick note on tires. I have a 2014 369RSL. I don’t remember what the OE tires were but they were junk, only made it about 8000 miles with all kinds of odd wear. I went to Michelin XPS Rib LT tire and they have been excellent. 30,000 miles and less than half worn, and we run right at the max GVWR (wife thinks we’re going on safari). Pro tip: they were a little bit bigger than the OE tires and we hitting the fender flares. Just snipping off the corners near the tire solved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I'll have to disagree with you there... a TPMS can do nothing to prevent delamination of a tire nor prevent the resulting damage to the trailer (which can be in the thousands or dollars). There's no warning in a case like that. I would vote for a tire upgrade first, then EMS and TPMS as budget allows.

Rob
    No, the TPMS cannot prevent a bad tire, but it can let you know it happened. Here is what happened to me with my last trailer. We were heading out on a long (2 day drive) trip. As I installed the tire monitors I discovered a few of them had died (from old age, had the system over 10 years). But I have had only 1 flat tire in the entire time I had the previous trailer, I thought we could be ok to go without this one trip. Murphy being who he is, I was wrong. We were 3 hours from home when a tire blew. And I had no indication in the cab. Truck was oversized for trailer and I had a Hensley hitch, so the trailer continued to track with no noticeable change as the back passenger tire rode on the rim. Luckily, a passing car waved me over and I stopped before the front tire (which was now carrying significantly increased load) blew. Which would have likely rolled the trailer. If I had installed a working TPMS I would have know the tire was gone and stopped as soon as it went. So for me, I will never travel without a TPMS again. YMMV.
    Greg and Colleen Gates
    Albuquerque, NM
    2020 Solitude 344 GK
    2019 F350 Lariat Superduty DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get tires. Run, don’t walk. I wish I did. Tried to post a picture of the damage from a Westlake blow out, but can’t figure out how.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surge protector hands down. Ours saved our camper at a premium site at a resort campground. It shut the power off and we called the parks maintenance people. They as much as said our surge protector was too sensitive then attempted to plug the wire in without the surge protector but the power outlet was too hot to touch more then half an HR after we called them to look at it. The guy ooend the box and it was smoldering. We moved to another site plugged the surge protector in and everything was fine. I've been using the same surge protector for the last three years at dozens of parks without any other incidents.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get a good surge protector for $100. Don’t need the fancy $3-400 ones. But never plug your RV into anything without one. Preferably one that has lights to tell you the power coming from the hookup is ok. Get the surge protector. The others later.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I have all 3.

Of the 3, I would rank the EMS as the most critical. This is because I've been to parks where there were undervoltage situations that could have damaged the trailer's electronics. I always plug the EMS in first and then flip the breaker to on. I let it cycle through and let me know both legs are ok. Then I turn the breaker off and hook up my trailer's electrical umbilical.

I do like the TPMS mainly because my F450 does not come with one. And it's far simpler to keep an eye out on tire pressures with the TPMS system than it is to run around with a tire pressure gauge, especially that inside tire on a dually.

My Furrion observation camera was not getting a signal this last trip and I had no issues. I don't really use it for backing up anyway since. I have my wife get out and we use walkie talkies. I also get out and look whenever there's a question. On the freeway, I had no issue changing lanes, as I could tell there were no cars in on my side or the other, since these trucks have such huge mirrors.

I do value the observation camera when in heavy city traffic though. When traffic is bumper to bumper, it helps me to be assertive and take an opening when I see it. I know exactly how much room I have to merge without hitting the other cars. So if I can't fix the Furrion, I'll be replacing it with another camera.
    A little off subject, but I think I just learned something new! I have the "Technology Research Corp 34951 Surge Guard 50A Portable Wireless Surge Guard" I'm new to RV'ing and learning a lot. W have been on two trips so far while returning our TT form Grants Pass, OR to Seattle area. When doing the initial setup, specifically the power - I first look at the breakers to ensure all are off. Then I connect the 50A Surge Guard, allow it to go through its checks, then I connect the TT Power Cable. I did not know I should turn off breaker BEFORE connecting the main power cable.

We are preparing to make a major cross country move, from the Seattle area to Central Florida. The Westlakes came installed on our rig, but as a precautionary measure, I just ordered FIVE Goodyear Endurance tires for the trip. Just a little more reassurance. After the new tires are installed I have the new TPMS ready to go. My truck came with the TPMS in its system, I also have a Furion back up camera. I know this one seems to get the least support, my main reason for getting it is to see behind me on the highway. To ensure I have clearance from the guy behind me. As I said - I'm new to this - on our 500 mile trip bringing the rig home, that was one of my main concerns - I haven't installed it yet but plan to tomorrow. I hope this knocks off another of my concerns.

Thats why I love this site!!! Sorry to deviate a bit from OP initial post. Just wanted to give a shout out to you folks - again!!

Steve

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast