Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How ot get TV for Travel Trailer

Hello Folks!

AT&T is our cell provider,, for DW and my iPhones. I am in the old grandfathered plan, so I dont want to leave it. Based on many comments here, I am considering Verizon to supplement my AT&T Service. I should note, I called AT&T a couple weeks ago and asked them to provide our cell phones with hotspots. I purchased 30G plan for each phone. Thinking I'd use mine then when its expired, pick up on DW's. Not sure if this is exactly how this stuff works, but that was my thinking.

We just returned from obtaining our trailer. We encountered very spotty internet / cell service in Oregon, near Crater Lake. As a result, I figured I'd look at Verizon as a back up. I know very little about the tech stuff - so this is where I may need your help!!

I was going to purchase Verizon's Jetpack® MiFi® 8800L, then add one of their "Unlimited" Plans. In researching them - I could end up paying $150.00/mo. YOWZERS!!!

I hear a lot about Visible and their affordable Plans!! I started a chat with some guy and he'd never heard of a Mobile Hotspot, nor a jetpack???? How could that be?? He was trying to sell me another phone, and use that as the hotspot, which I don't want or need (I think??) Our AT&T iPhones had the hot spots activated, due I really need to buy more phones from Verizon or Vision to get a Verizon hotspot??

Guess I need some education. Can anyone clarify this stuff??

Thanks!
    Steve

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much data do you need per month? And what's your budget? If you want unlimited data and great coverage, it's going to be spendy, you'll wind up with something like a Pep link and 2 unlimited data plans for different carriers, probably in the 250/mo range and another 1000+ on hardware. If you want cheap/easy and don't need a lot of data, there are options for that too. But, unlimited data+great coverage+easy to use = $$$. Sadly, this wasn't the case 8 months ago, I'd tell you to get a Togo and call it a day. If you need less than 100G/yr, that's still a decent option, just nowhere near as good as it was 9 months ago (they had an unlimited plan for $365/yr)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We use a Bix wireless AT&T SIM card ($85/mo) in an LTE Router. This allows us to connect 10 devices and share on average 15 down/15 up bandwidth and we typically use about 300 GB a month with zero throttling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    How much data do you need per month? And what's your budget? If you want unlimited data and great coverage, it's going to be spendy, you'll wind up with something like a Pep link and 2 unlimited data plans for different carriers, probably in the 250/mo range and another 1000+ on hardware. If you want cheap/easy and don't need a lot of data, there are options for that too. But, unlimited data+great coverage+easy to use = $$$. Sadly, this wasn't the case 8 months ago, I'd tell you to get a Togo and call it a day. If you need less than 100G/yr, that's still a decent option, just nowhere near as good as it was 9 months ago (they had an unlimited plan for $365/yr)
    How much data do I need??? I don't know - I want to be able to watch a few movies, the news, a few shows every once n a while, web surf and email - and of course make calls as required. We're not full timers, but will be out for 4-6 weeks at a time - one, two ro three times a year. I was hoping to avoid a satellite dish for TV, and go the streaming route. As mentioned previously, I have 30G hotspot, as does DW, both AT&T. I thought it might be a good idea to supplement with a Verizon Hotspot. Now, not sure thats the way to go??? Perhaps a Dish Sat for tv and the hot spots for web and phone???

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If by "TV" you meant television, you're probably not going to get what you want in terms of TV (coverage, data usage vs. cost, etc.) by depending on cellular data plans for streaming. It's been our experience in five years of full-timing all over the country that the best places to get out in nature and camp usually have the poorest cellular coverage - no matter which carrier. The closer you get to civilization, the more congested the towers will be, resulting in slower speeds. Satellite TV, on the other hand, gets you a good signal any place you can see the part of the sky where the satellites are (We've only had problems in a couple of places - mostly on the Olympic peninsula in Washington state). Although we have a prepaid Verizon MiFi hot-spot with a grandfathered, truly unlimited data plan for $50/month (which we use for NetFlix, Amazon Prime, etc.), we have a Dish Network account with a Pathway X2 antenna that will pick up HD programming and locals no matter where we are in the country (meaning both eastern and western satellite arcs). Cellular data is going to have to get a lot better and cheaper before we depend on it as our only source for TV.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you are asking about which plans or costs so much as looking for coverage. If you download the Open Signal app to your phone you can see not only local coverage maps but any area you want visit. Since this is probably the most popular coverage app their data is pretty accurate and conclusive. Also you can find a link to differing carrier coverage here: https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/Coverage
    I can't recall it now but I do know there is a campground app / website that does include the quality of wireless coverage.
    If you want data for streaming I suggest you follow Dave Matthews Band's advice and look into his plan. In the spring there was a large shift away from low cost unlimited data plans with big cost increases. This looks like the most cost effective I have seen recently. You would need to obtain an LTE modem / router but it would be much easier once set up. Top Tip: this would be something you could use at the house as well.
    My experience is Verizon has more coverage on the coasts while AT&T still has a hold in the heartland though both as a percentage are pretty close. Last winter I was able to obtain a low cost AT&T unlimited plan and acquired my own LTE modem which works well for what you are asking. Since LTE became available I have had a Verizon unlimited phone plan. I used it for 9 years as my internet connection while traveling for work or pleasure. Last fall was the first I experienced a slowdown due to capped data on it ( about 50Gb ). If you are streaming TV it really won't take long to go through that amount of data. From the first I rarely used the hot spot for data instead tethered ( hard wire to my computer ) the phone to obscure where usage was from, it seems that they have figured that out as well.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 08-11-2020 at 06:03 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morning Folks!

Well, as our cross country trip is nearing (end of this month), we have decided to go with a satellite dish (Dish network Pathway X2) with a tripod, and one Wally for now. Would do a second, but unsure at this time where we would locate it in our bedroom, as space is limited and so is our knowledge of this stuff. That will change in time, and if we can determine where to locate a second Wally, we'll pursue one then.

I'm left with the decision for internet. As mentioned in my initial post, DW & I both have AT&T iPhones and just activated Hot Spot feature, with 30G service, each. We will alternate as needed. We may not need 30G each, since we decided on SAT for TV - so may downgrade to save a few bucks???

Now we're debating a JetPack from Verizon to supplement the AT&T service - Is this a good idea? I did look at Visible, but when I started a chat with one of their agents, he didn't even know what a jetpack was? To be honest - I'm learning too, but was surprised I had to explain it to him.

I was considering the 8800L Jetpack for $199.00, then one of the Verizon plans - but still in research phase. As an alternative, I know there are many different Jetpack manufacturers available. For example, can I buy a Netgear Hotspot, then choose a plan from ANY provider? This is new to me so I'm not sure how it works.

In my example, can I purchase a Netgear M1 Hotspot, then call Visible (or other provider), and purchase one of their plans? Do they then send me a SIM card, which would then be inserted into the Netgear Hotspot, then I'm set to go?? Is that it? Or am I totally wrong?

I was also looking at a MoFi 4500 4G LTE Router. This also sounds like a good tool for the tool kit - I just don't know if this is something I need? Do I need this and a Hotspot? Or is it this, or a Hotspot?

Do I need or want any kind of booster?

My idea of using cell service soles for streaming doesn't seem feasible, so as I said the satellite will now resolve that, and will just go with the monthly pay as you go. That seems to fit the bill for us!!

As for internet - With the options mentioned above, what in your opinion will work best? Internet isn't a hard requirement, we don't need it for work. But we do enjoy web surfing, social media, and of course phone service.

We don't have unlimited fund. So I'm looking for your advice rather than blowing money on things I don't need. I'd prefer the internet plan(s) be of the sort where I can turn on or off - Our trip is expected to last 4-6 weeks (End of August they perhaps the middle of October (traveling from the Seattle area, to Central Florida). The a pause of a few months perhaps until our next weeks (or month) long venture.

So I hope I've provided the parameters - what are your thoughts?

Thanks again to all of you who have provided your insight!!

Steve

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    Morning Folks!

Well, as our cross country trip is nearing (end of this month), we have decided to go with a satellite dish (Dish network Pathway X2) with a tripod, and one Wally for now. Would do a second, but unsure at this time where we would locate it in our bedroom, as space is limited and so is our knowledge of this stuff. That will change in time, and if we can determine where to locate a second Wally, we'll pursue one then.

I'm left with the decision for internet. As mentioned in my initial post, DW & I both have AT&T iPhones and just activated Hot Spot feature, with 30G service, each. We will alternate as needed. We may not need 30G each, since we decided on SAT for TV - so may downgrade to save a few bucks???

Now we're debating a JetPack from Verizon to supplement the AT&T service - Is this a good idea? I did look at Visible, but when I started a chat with one of their agents, he didn't even know what a jetpack was? To be honest - I'm learning too, but was surprised I had to explain it to him.

I was considering the 8800L Jetpack for $199.00, then one of the Verizon plans - but still in research phase. As an alternative, I know there are many different Jetpack manufacturers available. For example, can I buy a Netgear Hotspot, then choose a plan from ANY provider? This is new to me so I'm not sure how it works.

In my example, can I purchase a Netgear M1 Hotspot, then call Visible (or other provider), and purchase one of their plans? Do they then send me a SIM card, which would then be inserted into the Netgear Hotspot, then I'm set to go?? Is that it? Or am I totally wrong?

I was also looking at a MoFi 4500 4G LTE Router. This also sounds like a good tool for the tool kit - I just don't know if this is something I need? Do I need this and a Hotspot? Or is it this, or a Hotspot?

Do I need or want any kind of booster?

My idea of using cell service soles for streaming doesn't seem feasible, so as I said the satellite will now resolve that, and will just go with the monthly pay as you go. That seems to fit the bill for us!!

As for internet - With the options mentioned above, what in your opinion will work best? Internet isn't a hard requirement, we don't need it for work. But we do enjoy web surfing, social media, and of course phone service.

We don't have unlimited fund. So I'm looking for your advice rather than blowing money on things I don't need. I'd prefer the internet plan(s) be of the sort where I can turn on or off - Our trip is expected to last 4-6 weeks (End of August they perhaps the middle of October (traveling from the Seattle area, to Central Florida). The a pause of a few months perhaps until our next weeks (or month) long venture.

So I hope I've provided the parameters - what are your thoughts?

Thanks again to all of you who have provided your insight!!

Steve
    Steve
    I don’t know how to link a post from my phone but look for “MoFi4500”. I have a post somewhere from a couple months ago detailing how mine works, speeds, etc. and how we use it for streaming TV and internet for all our devices. By the way it acts as a hotspot.
    PM me if you have any questions.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How ot get TV for Travel Trailer

In reference to my post above, here’s my download and upload speeds at different times on different days over the past month or so.
    The MoFi4500 with the SIM card from Bix is about five times faster than the hotspots on our iPhones even though they’re all AT&T lines.

My guess is the antennas on the $300 MoFi are extremely powerful compared to the $5 antenna in a cell phone. The router isn’t even connected to an external antenna; it’s actually sitting inside my media cabinet over the TV.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adjustments.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	28725

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6192.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	28724

Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 08-13-2020 at 07:40 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a late model GM truck with WiFi then you can purchase unlimited and secure data plan from AT&T for less than 30.00 a month. I have On-Star on my 2018 GMC and AT&T data plan is 20.00 a month. If I park close enough to my 5th wheel I can use internet from truck. This WiFi plan may be available on Ford & Ram as well, I just know about GM trucks. Also, most of the time WiFi is faster then at most RV Parks and secure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast