User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drolaw View Post
    They do have a vent hose. One is attached to the hose that goes to the front vent of the RV. The other has an opening at the bottom but no vent hose. They are both enclosed in separate battery containers. I plan to switch to lithium at some point (probably spring).
    So just one box top going to the front vent?
    If so, till a switch to Lithium, you could Tee the boxes together on top to the one vent hose:

Poppy's 5th Wheel:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery Boxes Tee - Poppy's 5th Wheel.jpg  
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally got a chance to sit down and follow-up with photos on my project. I'm not happy with the cable management in the front compartment. I think I need a bus bar or two. I think that will help clean up the cable/wire mess. The batteries and the boxes they sit in caused me to get creative...which means it's an eye sore. I'm going to replace the batteries sooner than I expected since the batteries are not ideal.

First step - unplug the converter from the breaker panel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0482.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	29666

I left the converter in place and left the DC wiring as is. Figured if I ever needed to use the converter it's already in place.

Name:	IMG_0483.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	29667

Wired the SPS

Name:	IMG_0492.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	29668

Labeled the SPS for future reference if needed.

Name:	IMG_0493.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	29669

Name:	IMG_0494.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	29670
    Last edited by Drolaw; 09-19-2020 at 07:06 PM.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put the inverter in the basement instead of the front compartment since I plan to replace my flooded batteries with lithium.

Name:	IMG_0495.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	29671

Here is the mess I ended up with. I'm going to redo this using a bus bar to help clean up the wire mess - there are too many wires on the batteries terminals. Everything works perfectly but it's an eye sore

Name:	IMG_0507.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	29672

Name:	IMG_0508.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	29673

If anyone knows what type of bus bar I need (I've seen some use 600amp others 250amps so it's confusing to this layman) let me know? Does the 4/0 wire go to the bus bar from the battery or can I use a smaller gauge?

Overall, this was a fun project and I enjoyed doing the labor myself. While it wasn't pretty I learned a lot about my RV's electrically system and there is always self satisfaction in doing something yourself.

The reason I did this was to change out the NOrcold to a residential fridge. After a week long trip I can report the residential fridge worked flawlessly. I highly recommend the residential fridge. If you're on the fence about switching or ordering one with a residential fridge...DO IT!! You will be better off and happier with the results.
    Jim & Kate
    2020 Solitude 344GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a question related to your install, and I am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I have ordered a new 2121 Solitude 310GK with the generator. I have plans to install 2 Lion Energy lithium batteries(for now), a dc-dc charger from my vehicle to the 310, and the Victron 3000w Multiplus.
    My plan is to use the on-board transfer switch to supply the Multiplus with generator/shore power, and wire the Multiplus back to the panel. My question relates to how the Multiplus would handle this type of install.
    Will the Multiplus pass-thru the shore/generator power two both legs of the main panel? When it is inverting, can I wire it to the main panel and power pre-determined breakers?
    I have tried to do my research on all of this, but this is where I get totally stumped...I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
    And, BTW Jim, very nice install. I can only hope mine looks as good.

Mark and Rebecca (my first post here)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mark and Rebecca - it was definitely a fun project for me.

I originally thought of doing what you're describing but I found out quickly that the setup would require a lot of rework at the panel. Several on this board suggested that I consider the SPS https://amsolar.com/rv-inverter-acce...-tsfmb1?rq=SPS. I'm glad I did. The setup was easy and clean.

I can confirm that the multiplus can be wired to power both legs of the panel (see pic below for an example). If you do not go with the SPS the wiring will be different and I believe it requires a sub panel - but not 100%.

With my current install the SPS determines how to route the AC back to the main panel. When I'm on shore power the Multiplus switches from inverter to charger and passes the AC to both legs of the panel. Once I disconnect shore power the multiplus switches from charger to inverter and powers both legs by inverting DC to AC.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-13.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	30135

I hope that helps.

Jim
    Jim & Kate
    2020 Solitude 344GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

I wanted to go your route to my 375RES-R. The SPS from AM solar was on back order with no ETA on when i would have received the unit. I was put on a paper list of about 150 folks wanting same. So I went with the MagnaSine Magnum hybrid MSH3012RV 3k inverter that has the smart phase built into it. Dual in 6/4 and dual out 6/4 to the separate120v sub panel legs. I have all the components to install and will be doing the project starting in November, when the RV will be sitting a few months.
    2019 Ford F350 Dually
    2020 GD Solitude 375RES-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FOWLERGK View Post
    Jim,

I wanted to go your route to my 375RES-R. The SPS from AM solar was on back order with no ETA on when i would have received the unit. I was put on a paper list of about 150 folks wanting same. So I went with the MagnaSine Magnum hybrid MSH3012RV 3k inverter that has the smart phase built into it. Dual in 6/4 and dual out 6/4 to the separate120v sub panel legs. I have all the components to install and will be doing the project starting in November, when the RV will be sitting a few months.
    I saw a detailed blog where someone used a mechanical switch to mimic what the SPS does - this allows the Victron Inverter (or other inverter) to supply 120V to both sides of the existing breaker panel while allowing a Hybrid Inverter to boost a 120V incoming AC source, and can be switched back to allow normal 50amp (2 phases of 120V) operation when 50amp service is available. The SPS does the same thing by sensing the different phases on an AC line and switching automatically. The manual switch was about $50 from what I saw and the blog included detailed wiring diagrams for the actual switch and the whole system (including solar).

https://allaboutrvsinfo.com/rv-inver...30-and-50-amp/
    Last edited by openrangeowners; 10-14-2020 at 02:02 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim
    Thanks for the clarification on the SPS, it really provided the missing link I was looking for. I contacted Amsolar and put myself on the list to purchase the SPS when it is back in stock, along with the Victron MP.
    Since I don't take delivery until December, the SPS might be available then.
    Thanks again!
    Mark and Rebecca
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited CrewCab 8 Ft. Bed 6.7 HO 4wd B&W Companion Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update on the Multiplus install in my new Solitude 310. I am still waiting on the SPS fro AmSolar, but I am almost done with the 12v side, ready to connect the batteries (4 105ah Lion Energy Lithiums) and see how the 12v side responds.

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	31138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0166.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	31139Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0169.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	31140
    Mark and Rebecca
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited CrewCab 8 Ft. Bed 6.7 HO 4wd B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good Mark. Definitely send picks of the final install.

Quick question - what size Busbar are you using? I can't determine what size I need and how to connect it. I may be overthinking it but seeing that you already have pos and neg busbars I would love to see how you wire it up and what size wire you are using.
    Jim & Kate
    2020 Solitude 344GK

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast