User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Victron Multiplus install questions

Howdy all,

My Victron Multiplus inverter kit arrives in a couple of days (ordered it through amsolar) and I started to think about questions I have that I could not find an answer for.

Background - I had my local dealer (ExploreUSA) installed a residential fridge (Thanks Jeff - it's a night and day difference - well worth the $$). I elected to do the inverter install myself. I attached a diagram below on the kit I ordered.

I'm struggling with finding a solution on the questions below and was hoping someone could help or point me in the right direction.

1. For the wires that are currently attached to my battery (see pic below) do I keep them wired as is (directly to the battery) or wire them differently when I add the Multplus?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0458.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	28668

2. Do I need to do any special wiring configuration for the 12DV side of the breaker panel? Based on the diagram from amsolar I do not see any special wiring considerations. Seems plug in play for my setup...can it be that easy?

3. Do I need to plan for any other special rewiring scenarios ...for example the wiring from the vehicle to the RV when traveling?

Name:	99-VT3050KIT.pdf 
Views:	198 
Size:	798.3 KB 
ID:	28667

I'm appreciate any help and direction and I'm sure I'll have more questions..for example. What do I do with the wires from the converter that are not 6 awg as required in the amsolar diagram?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0458.jpg  
    Last edited by Drolaw; 08-10-2020 at 09:05 PM.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drolaw View Post
    Howdy all,

My Victron Multiplus inverter kit arrives in a couple of days (ordered it through amsolar) and I started to think about questions I have that I could not find an answer for.

Background - I had my local dealer (ExploreUSA) installed a residential fridge (Thanks Jeff - it's a night and day difference - well worth the $$). I elected to do the inverter install myself. I attached a diagram below on the kit I ordered.

I'm struggling with finding a solution on the questions below and was hoping someone could help or point me in the right direction.

1. For the wires that are currently attached to my battery (see pic below) do I keep them wired as is (directly to the battery) or wire them differently when I add the Multplus?

2. Do I need to do any special wiring configuration for the 12DV side of the breaker panel? Based on the diagram from amsolar I do not see any special wiring considerations. Seems plug in play for my setup...can it be that easy?

3. Do I need to plan for any other special rewiring scenarios ...for example the wiring from the vehicle to the RV when traveling?

I'm appreciate any help and direction and I'm sure I'll have more questions..for example. What do I do with the wires from the converter that are not 6 awg as required in the amsolar diagram?
    I'll try.
    I'm assuming no additonal busbars.

1. "For the wires that are currently attached to my battery."
    The existing battery + wire could be connected onto the 4/0 lug. The 4/0 lug would 1st connect directly to the battery post(s).

2. Do I need to do any special wiring configuration for the 12DV side of the breaker panel?
    Probably remove the existing Converter & it's DC wires that run to the Fuse Panel.

The Ford trailer tow charge wire might be able to keep enough amps running back to the inverter so it could power the frig while traveling.
    If not, then adding a DC to DC charger like an Victron Orion-Tr Smart wired to the truck might be added.

The Arrow that you added to the AM Solar diagram is pointing to a shunt that would be part of a BMV-712, or a SmartShunt for amps monitoring.

Attached a couple DC drawings as I guess your wiring is and what it might look like by adding Multiplus.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FW OEM w Hydraulic.pdf   FW w Hydraulic w MP INV.pdf  
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry - double post. No sure what happened.
    Last edited by Drolaw; 08-11-2020 at 04:19 PM.
    Jim & Kate
    2020 Solitude 344GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post

1. "For the wires that are currently attached to my battery."
    The existing battery + wire could be connected onto the 4/0 lug. The 4/0 lug would 1st connect directly to the battery post(s).
    Thanks Gene.

To make sure I understand you correctly.

Am I replacing the current wire (that is connected to the battery in the picture) with 4/0 wire and running that in place of the current wire?

Or

Do I replace the lug on the current wire with a 4/0 lug on both ends of the existing wire?

Sorry for the dumb questions - I tell my wife often that I'm a Software Engineer not a civil or electrical engineer - She doesn't laugh anymore...
    Jim & Kate
    2020 Solitude 344GK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gene.

To make sure I understand you correctly.

Am I replacing the current wire (that is connected to the battery in the picture) with 4/0 wire and running that in place of the current wire?

Or

Do I replace the lug on the current wire with a 4/0 lug on both ends of the existing wire?

Sorry for the dumb questions - I tell my wife often that I'm a Software Engineer not a civil or electrical engineer - She doesn't laugh anymore...

You'd keep the existing battery wire and lug.
    The 4/0 wire with it's lug goes onto the battery post and then place the existing wire's lug on top of the 4/0 & bolt to them battery post.
    Same for the 4/0 wire for Multiplus Battery (-), goes to the battery negative post and existing battery wire's lug on top of the 4/0 lug.

There are various ways these can be wired, so I expect you'll get a some more suggestions.
    No problem with questions, I couldn't code to save my life.
    I was thankful AB PLC ladder logic had easy to read comments.
    Last edited by gbkims; 08-12-2020 at 09:09 AM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Y...I couldn't code to save my life.
    I was thankful AB PLC ladder logic had easy to read comments.
    I don't code as much anymore - when I do it's in python or go (golang). I lead a software engineering organization so I spend more time in budget and product meetings .

The last of the items I've ordered arrived today. I'm going to try to install it this weekend depending on the weather..it's suppose to be >100 degrees.
    Jim & Kate
    2020 Solitude 344GK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't code as much anymore - when I do it's in python or go (golang). I lead a software engineering organization so I spend more time in budget and product meetings .

The last of the items I've ordered arrived today. I'm going to try to install it this weekend depending on the weather..it's suppose to be >100 degrees.
    I wondered how much cable for the AC wiring is in the AM Solar kit. Looks like 16' of their Gray 6/3.

Where are the Multiplus and the smart transfer switch (SPS) going to be placed?
    Depending on where, the SPS is placed it will need enough 6/3 cable (SOOW is like AM Solar's Gray Cable) to reach the Multiplus AC IN-1 & AC OUT-1.
    Last edited by gbkims; 08-13-2020 at 12:49 AM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Gene,

It does come with 16' of 6/3 wire, 5' of 4/0 wire and 5' of 6/4 wire.

Name:	8.3+x1000.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	28723

I feel I'm going to need additional 6/3 wire. I haven't decided where I'm going to put the SPS but I will put the Inverter in the front cargo area near the batteries. If I put the SPS where the converter is now it's a little over 7' to the front storage bay. That doesn't leave me a lot slack. I would put the inverter closer to the breaker panel but the batteries I have are Flooded so they need the ventilation.

Another dumb question - when getting the extra 6/3 wire does it need to be SOOW. Reading your post was the first time I saw that acronym and had to look it up .
    Jim & Kate
    2020 Solitude 344GK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Gene,

It does come with 16' of 6/3 wire, 5' of 4/0 wire and 5' of 6/4 wire.

Name:	8.3+x1000.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	28723

I feel I'm going to need additional 6/3 wire. I haven't decided where I'm going to put the SPS but I will put the Inverter in the front cargo area near the batteries. If I put the SPS where the converter is now it's a little over 7' to the front storage bay. That doesn't leave me a lot slack. I would put the inverter closer to the breaker panel but the batteries I have are Flooded so they need the ventilation.

Another dumb question - when getting the extra 6/3 wire does it need to be SOOW. Reading your post was the first time I saw that acronym and had to look it up .
    Jim,

The 6/3 doesn't have to be the SO type. The Romex 6/3 w Gnd NM-B that Lowes & HD sell will work and its the wire that the RVs use from the shore power inlet over to the CB panel.
    Because Romex is building wire, the wire strands are thicker than the SO wire and the Romex can be a bit hard to work with.

The slide outs use 14/3 SO (SJOOW) for its flexibility, connected to the Romex wire that runs throughout the RV.

I thought running SO from the Multiplus in the front compartment and maybe the SPS in the basement might be easier with 6/3 SOOW.
    The problem is where to grab a length of SOOW locally. I usually get some off of ebay.

Nomado has a post on his Multiplus install that's a bit similar.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post219046

I've been looking at what the SPS does and started a diagram I may use later on.
    It's got the wiring rearranged a bit for ease of drawing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RV 50A Wiring w SPS.pdf  
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

The 6/3 doesn't have to be the SO type. The Romex 6/3 w Gnd NM-B that Lowes & HD sell will work and its the wire that the RVs use from the shore power inlet over to the CB panel.
    Because Romex is building wire, the wire strands are thicker than the SO wire and the Romex can be a bit hard to work with.

The slide outs use 14/3 SO (SJOOW) for its flexibility, connected to the Romex wire that runs throughout the RV.

I thought running SO from the Multiplus in the front compartment and maybe the SPS in the basement might be easier with 6/3 SOOW.
    The problem is where to grab a length of SOOW locally. I usually get some off of ebay.

Nomado has a post on his Multiplus install that's a bit similar.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post219046

I've been looking at what the SPS does and started a diagram I may use later on.
    It's got the wiring rearranged a bit for ease of drawing.
    Nice diagram - makes my pencil diagram look like I'm still in elementary school.

Since I'm putting the SPS in the basement (closer to the CP) and the inverter in the front storage compartment the 16' 6/3 awg I received from the amsolar kit will be short. I can't find anything locally that has that wire type in-stock without buying 50 or 100 ft so I'm using Amazon. I think I'll use the time to reinforce the bottom of the front compartment as Nomado pointed out in his thread.

Why I waited for Aug to do this is beyond me..lol. Oh yeah, I replaced the fridge...one mod leads to another .
    Jim & Kate
    2020 Solitude 344GK

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast