User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who can Tow me all the way home ?

I've been looking at Good Sams, AAA, and my auto insurance..

Nobody that I can find, will offer coverage that will tow me home ..

Example. My truck breaks down, I'm fine with the truck going to the nearest mechanic, but where does my travel trailer go ? they only tow it to the nearest service center ? But it doesn't need service ...

Will anyone take my travel trailer, and tow it across the country home, if my tow vehicle breaks down ?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have AAA, I do not think they will tow the rig home but, may tow it to a campground or the like. Or, maybe tow it to somewhere you can "store" and put you up in a room.
    I had a trailer that was wrecked, they towed it to the nearest dealer of my choice. I had 3 to choose from. Luckily I as only less than an hour from home.
    For sure it's something to look into and know.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This question has been raised over the years here. As I recall members shared that there is a GDRV (or maybe RV in general) FB site (I do not do FB) that deals with this issue. I recall references to the commercial RV delivery companies that deliver RVs/trailers/etc. to dealers as an option. It also seems there were a group of private folks who were approved/licensed/etc. to do this.

Hopefully someone who is familiar with this will chime in. If I find the thread(s) on this forum dealing with this I will share that/those.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it all depends on where you are when you break down.

If you are close to home (within 100 or 200 miles) AAA RV coverage will tow you up to 200 miles depending on your coverage. If you are further out, you may need to make arrangements to have your camper towed to a local campground or storage yard. Unless you are planning to have your engine or transmission replaced, your Tow Vehicle should be able to get repaired in a day or two. If your Tow Vehicle is down for much longer than that, you can contact an RV transport company to haul your camper home.

If your truck is in an accident and is not driveable, then your Insurance company will pay to have your camper towed home as part of your insurance claim.

If you have a medical condition, then a membership in FMCA would be your best bet because they have insurance coverage that will get your RV back home if you are incapacitated.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know of any travel insurance that will, but I would recommend joining an RV club like the "Escapees". There's a network of friendly people willing to help, if you get in a bind you can usually find someone to provide crash space or even come out and help drive.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are policies you can buy to get the rig, you and your loved ones home but they are pricy.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have AAA RV coverage, well I had never had them to tow me but I needed them to change my tire.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    There are policies you can buy to get the rig, you and your loved ones home but they are pricy.
    That is what the FMCA insurance does, it comes with the membership.

It is an incredible benefit that you hope you never need to use.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    That is what the FMCA insurance does, it comes with the membership.

It is an incredible benefit that you hope you never need to use.
    You would have to help me understand why you think that. I am on the website now looking at the coverages, and I am not seeing anything that agrees with your supposition.

FMCA Roadside Assistance Program
    FMCA's Roadside Rescue®, powered by SafeRide RV Motor Club, will be there when you need it. SafeRide RV provides fully equipped services and valuable benefits to FMCA Members. You can even extend your coverage to additional family members living in your household and add additional passenger vehicles.

Benefits Include:
    Towing to the nearest qualified repair center
    Fuel delivery
    Lockout service
    Tire change
    Battery boost
    Tech assistance
    And more!
    Am I covered for towing?
    Towing is covered to the nearest qualified repair center. If a non-accident related tow is necessary, the customer’s disabled vehicle will be taken to the nearest qualified repair facility.

What does "nearest qualified repair shop" mean?
    Qualified equates to placing the unit at a repair center that can handle the specific type of repair. In many cases the member has already “pre-qualified” with the location they request it be towed to. If not, you will be towed to the nearest location within the SafeRide RV Motor Club network of authorized repair shops.
    https://www.fmca.com/fmca-rv-roadside-assistance
    Last edited by larry0071; 08-12-2020 at 05:09 AM.
    2020.5 Reflection 311BHS Dual AC, 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Level 2, 3.73 / 392 Hemi 14,404.34 lb towing and 3,004.34 payload, 2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB CC/LB, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2014 Wrangler Willys Edition, 2019 Iron Bull 14K 22' Equipment Trailer, 2019 Quality Trailers 7K 18' Utility Trailer

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    You would have to help me understand why you think that. I am on the website now looking at the coverages, and I am not seeing anything that agrees with your supposition.

https://www.fmca.com/fmca-rv-roadside-assistance
    The "Get your RV back home" coverage falls under the FMCA "Assist" program and not under the Roadside Assistance program.

Here are a couple of highlights from their FMCA Assist Benefits page:

What is FMCAssist?

FMCAssist is emergency medical evacuation and repatriation coverage available to active FMCA members who experience a medical event and are no longer able to continue their travels. FMCA members must be 100 or more miles from home to qualify. Full-time RVers are always considered 100 or more miles from home. FMCAssist services are also available to members when traveling abroad. Some exclusions and limitation amounts pertain to these benefits.

What services are provided as part of the FMCAssist program?

Emergency Medical Evacuation/Repatriation
    Repatriation
    Emergency Medical Reunion
    Return of Mortal Remains
    Return of Dependents
    Recreational Vehicle/RV Return (limited to trips in North America only)
    Automobile Return (limited to trips in North America only)
    Pet Return
    Prescription Medication and Glasses Replacement
    Discount Drug Card

Here is the link for the full description of coverage:

https://www.fmca.com/fmca-assist

This is some serious good coverage for just the price of the FMCA membership.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast