User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dometic Fridge not Keeping Temparature

I'm in North Carolina and have a little shade on the fridge side of my 2018 Reflection. My double door Dometic Fridge is set at 5 (the coldest setting). But during the day the double door Dometic Fridge is not keeping up. It'll get as high as 45 degrees inside. I've had milk spoil quickly in the door, and have had to throw food out. I've got 2 thermometers in it, and on lower shelves they will around 45 degrees. On upper shelves they will read between 38 and 45 degrees. Even the digital temperature read on the front of the door will get as high as 40 or 41 during the day and down to 35 at night. As I sit here still rifting my egg whites and coffee which had milk in it, I'm looking for a better way that keeps my food safe and doesn't cost over a $1000, and doesn't destroy my rig's value.

At only 2 years old, I'm sure the unit still functions as intended. Any advice? Do fans work? If you've installed fans across the chilling fins, what did you wire them to?
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do a search on this forum for fan mods. I've added 2 120mm radial fans in the lower vent directing air up through the chimney. I've also added a 5 fan unit that sits on the inside fins of the fridge. I'm about to add 2 140 mm exhaust fans on the upper vent.

The fans do help, but only so much. On electric mode the fridge now seems to be able to hold temps in the safe zone. But while traveling on propane on a 3.5 hr drive, the fridge got up to the high 40's the other day. Bear in mind that I live where it's typically 100° on a hot day.

The alternative is to replace the Dometic POS with a residential fridge. There are many threads on this forum on that matter as well. If my last two fan mods don't work, I'm going to go the residential fridge route.

Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    I'm in North Carolina and have a little shade on the fridge side of my 2018 Reflection. My double door Dometic Fridge is set at 5 (the coldest setting). But during the day the double door Dometic Fridge is not keeping up. It'll get as high as 45 degrees inside. I've had milk spoil quickly in the door, and have had to throw food out. I've got 2 thermometers in it, and on lower shelves they will around 45 degrees. On upper shelves they will read between 38 and 45 degrees. Even the digital temperature read on the front of the door will get as high as 40 or 41 during the day and down to 35 at night. As I sit here still rifting my egg whites and coffee which had milk in it, I'm looking for a better way that keeps my food safe and doesn't cost over a $1000, and doesn't destroy my rig's value.

At only 2 years old, I'm sure the unit still functions as intended. Any advice? Do fans work? If you've installed fans across the chilling fins, what did you wire them to?
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, for those that have done the swap for a residential fridge, how well do they hold up in winter outdoor temperatures?
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    USDA says temps above 40 degrees in a fridge is unsafe!
    https://www.fsis.usda.gov/shared/PDF...ood_Safety.pdf
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank