Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to replace my Endurance Tires

Hi All

ref tire: ST225-75-15 load range E

I'm going to need to replace my GY Endurance tires very soon and have some thoughts and questions. We do a lot of traveling, on average 10-12K p/year. I put these GY's on in November 2018 and have 28,000 miles on them. They have lost a lot of tread and at best have maybe 2K life remaining. I rotated them only once, probably should have done it more often as two are more worn down.

So my questions...is this about normal RV tire wear? If it matters, we do a lot of HWY travel thru hot Texas, Florida, and states in between,
    If so, should I rotate more often?

Lastly, i was really happy with these as a replacement for the Westlakes, (only got 13K out of the Westlakes before a failure)
    but has anyone found Maxxis or another brand in this size to last longer?

Thanks,
    Bob
    Last edited by RobertS377; 08-13-2020 at 05:39 PM.
    Bob & Donna - Maryland
    2017 303 RLS
    2023 Ford F350 CCLB 6.7 Diesel w/B & W Companion 3300 hitch

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real question is...did they wear evenly?
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trailer tires typically time out before they wear out. I would verify correct pressure, alignment, brakes and suspension for underlying cause of (what I believe) is premature wear.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How fast do you tow and how heavy are you?
    I would jump to 16" and run Ribs.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertS377 View Post
    Hi All

ref tire: ST225-75-15 load range E

I'm going to need to replace my GY Endurance tires very soon and have some thoughts and questions. We do a lot of traveling, on average 10-12K p/year. I put these GY's on in November 2018 and have 28,000 miles on them. They have lost a lot of tread and at best have maybe 2K life remaining. I rotated them only once, probably should have done it more often as two are more worn down.

So my questions...is this about normal RV tire wear? If it matters, we do a lot of HWY travel thru hot Texas, Florida, and states in between,
    If so, should I rotate more often?

Lastly, i was really happy with these as a replacement for the Westlakes, (only got 13K out of the Westlakes before a failure)
    but has anyone found Maxxis or another brand in this size to last longer?

Thanks,
    Bob
    No experience with Maxxis. I put GY Endurance on current and previous TT, but nowhere near the miles you’re traveling. I’m happy with them. I have read others with Maxxis who are pleased and a few got ~30k miles in 3-4 years before changing, not due to problems, but a sense that it was time.

In my research for ST tires between Endurance and Maxxis, buy whichever you can find cheaper and availability. In my case I don’t remember if Maxxis offered my size. If buying “made in USA” is a consideration then stay with the Endurance. Otherwise, they seem pretty equal from what I’ve read.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    How fast do you tow and how heavy are you?
    I would jump to 16" and run Ribs.
    We travel with the RV basically empty. Other than electric cord, water hoses, and a few items. Minimal clothing and no groceries, and holding tanks empty. We stock up at our destination as we mostly visit our kids and grandkids , so we stay a long time.

I don't drive over 65, and another poster asked if the wor evenly. The answer to that was no, not really. The front tires wore much faster than the rear. Im satisfied with how the look.

I've considered 16" rims...still looking at that option

As for tire pressure. Im OCD about that. I have a TPMS and i check them constantly before traveling with a digital gauge as well as the TPMS.
    Bob & Donna - Maryland
    2017 303 RLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure it is normal for either front or rear to wear much faster than the other, so something must be going on that needs looking into.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    I'm not sure it is normal for either front or rear to wear much faster than the other, so something must be going on that needs looking into.

Yea i don’t know. I rechecked this morning and it was mainly the front curb side tire that wore badly

Someone mentioned the brakes, but I have them serviced every 10k miles religiously

I guess I’ll have it checked when i take it in next month for another matter
    Bob & Donna - Maryland
    2017 303 RLS

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea i don’t know. I rechecked this morning and it was mainly the front curb side tire that wore badly

Someone mentioned the brakes, but I have them serviced every 10k miles religiously

Getting your trailer weighed would be a good place to start to make sure you don't have too big of a difference from side to side. The model you have are good for the kitchen slide being a lot heavier. Even with that ther are a lot of those trailers out there not having that problem. How does your trailer sit when towing, is it level. If not that could have something to do with it. Another possibility if both wheels on one axle are wearing funny you could have a bent axle. If only one wheel is wearing faster than the rest you could have a bent spindle. First things first would be looking to see if you are level or not when towing, then getting the trailer weighed. One step at a time. After that have a qualified mechanic that works on frames and axles look at it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before you put tires on it take it to a good alignment shop, not an rv dealer, and have the alignment checked out. You might have a bent axel or bent spindle. I had a ailgnment shop tell me that the most common out of align wheel on trailers is the curbside front due to hitting curbs. If the alignment is good then start looking for other causes. You should get a tire tread gauge so you can measure your tread depths. You also said you rotated the tires. This spreads the wear between the tires so the curb side front tire may be wearing worse than you think.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast