User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience with two previous trailers, if one or two tires are wearing faster then you may have a bent axle. Just one tire wearing faster would seem to indicate an axle issue.
    Last time I had my axles aligned the business owner said that even when installing brand new axles they still do an alignment.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    No experience with Maxxis. I put GY Endurance on current and previous TT, but nowhere near the miles you’re traveling. I’m happy with them. I have read others with Maxxis who are pleased and a few got ~30k miles in 3-4 years before changing, not due to problems, but a sense that it was time.

In my research for ST tires between Endurance and Maxxis, buy whichever you can find cheaper and availability. In my case I don’t remember if Maxxis offered my size. If buying “made in USA” is a consideration then stay with the Endurance. Otherwise, they seem pretty equal from what I’ve read.
    I highly recommend Maxxis. I put them on my Open Range 5er and a friend of mine put them on his Keystone and no issues. And customer service is in the US
    Gary & Debbie Reischer
    Chadds Ford, Pa
    2020 Solitude 2930RL-R
    2015 F350 Lariat CC 6.7 Diesel Pull Rite 4400 Super Glide Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV tires Can be a dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertS377 View Post
    Hi All

ref tire: ST225-75-15 load range E

I'm going to need to replace my GY Endurance tires very soon and have some thoughts and questions. We do a lot of traveling, on average 10-12K p/year. I put these GY's on in November 2018 and have 28,000 miles on them. They have lost a lot of tread and at best have maybe 2K life remaining. I rotated them only once, probably should have done it more often as two are more worn down.

So my questions...is this about normal RV tire wear? If it matters, we do a lot of HWY travel thru hot Texas, Florida, and states in between,
    If so, should I rotate more often?

Lastly, i was really happy with these as a replacement for the Westlakes, (only got 13K out of the Westlakes before a failure)
    but has anyone found Maxxis or another brand in this size to last longer?

Thanks,
    Bob

After 40+ years of having and dealing with motorhomes and fifth wheels I have settled on; check axle alignment and adjust if necessary, Have a TPMS, and always run maximum sidewall pressure. I have had no failures and have gotten as much as 30000 miles with even wear. I believe heat is the biggest culprit to tire failure. This is usually caused by to low a tire pressure causing extreme flexing. In addition to using a good UV protectant on them keep them covered when parked for a time.I am sure you will find age will cause a tire to become unsafe before it is worn out.
    After having many brands I have been very satisfied with Good Year Endurance tires. I am on my 3rd set. Hope this helps, Bill

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    The real question is...did they wear evenly?
    Personally I think that's plenty of miles for a trailer tire. We've made countless trips to WA from Phoenix and to CA so we accumulate a lot of miles. Our tires always wear out, never time out. If they wore fairly evenly I wouldn't be looking for a problem that isn't there.
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never mind
    Last edited by Grandesigner; 08-27-2020 at 08:51 AM.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    Never mind
    I was agreeing with you friend. Please have a great day.
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bob: From my perspective, 28,000 miles sounds fabulous, especially since you travel so much on hot roads. I thought my original equipment Rainier STs were the lousiest tires made when I replaced them at around 5000 miles. One had a tread failure and the others were looking cracked and old at 2 years old even though I use covers in storage. But I was wrong. The Carlisle Radial Trails I replaced them with had three (out of four) tread separation failures within 5000-7000 miles, also at 2 years age. Several folks have recommended Sailun S637T's which I'm trying now, but I don't think those are available in your size.

I can't think of any inherent reason to have to rotate trailer tires. There's no steer axle to cause edge tread wear as with a car/truck. They don't spin on loose gravel. They should all drag evenly during turns. If your suspension is working properly, the RV isn't loaded abnormally (sounds like its not), your wheels are aligned, and your tire pressures are set correctly (you're watching that carefully), the tires should wear evenly. The fact that your tires are wearing more on the front axle makes me suspect you have an alignment issue. In addition to faster and/or uneven wear, misalignment puts abnormal stress on the belts and can cause high tire temperatures. I agree with the others, I think I would have that looked at.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12