User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Malfunctioning Air Conditioner

We have a 2019 Momentum 395M equipped with three Airxcel 4800 air conditioners. We are currently in Las Vegas with temps over 105 degrees. The three units have been working well until today, when the garage unit started blowing hot air. The garage temp rose to 108 before I gave up and turned it off. I tried the unit on auto, low and high. Same results. I have sent an email to the manufacturer, waiting for reply. Any of you nice folks have any ideas? Appreciate any feedback.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It isn't uncommon for the compressers to go at a young age (just guessing) . Unless you know how to work on them a call for service may be in your future
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Malfunctioning Air Conditioner

Our refrigerant leaked out and the mobile RV tech said he would replace it for $1300.
    I’m guessing the monkeys at a stealership would charge even more so we’re just going to keep using the $150 window unit we bought for boondocking. We bought a second one recently and installed it in the bedroom escape window and both running on max still pull about half the power of our roof air. I only installed the bedroom one because the temps here have been hitting 110. The nice thing about these little units is they’re portable so when it gets cooler I’ll pop them out and store them back in the pass-through. I originally bought the one to use while boondocking when it was like 90 degrees and it works really well for that, cools our whole rig down and it’s such low draw I was able to power it off our batteries and our solar kept the batteries topped off all day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Our refrigerant leaked out and the mobile RV tech said he would replace it for $1300.
    I’m guessing the monkeys at a stealership would charge even more so we’re just going to keep using the $150 window unit we bought for boondocking. We bought a second one recently and installed it in the bedroom escape window and both running on max still pull about half the power of our roof air. I only installed the bedroom one because the temps here have been hitting 110. The nice thing about these little units is they’re portable so when it gets cooler I’ll pop them out and store them back in the pass-through. I originally bought the one to use while boondocking when it was like 90 degrees and it works really well for that, cools our whole rig down and it’s such low draw I was able to power it off our batteries and our solar kept the batteries topped off all day long.

If your thinking about doing the recharge first ask how they would do the recharge. There are no hookups on these trailer ac units. Not to say it can't be done, someone that's good could put some hookups on it. First you would want to know why it went dry. These things don't just lose there charge that quickly without there being something wrong. Now how much will it cost to fix and recharge. Might be cheaper to just replace it. A new unit should be under $1000 plus labor. It's not that difficult to replace. Hardest part would be getting the unit up on the roof.
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before calling for service, you might try running the fan on high for 15-20 minutes then retry setting for auto high. Sometimes, especially in high heat the units freeze up and if that is the case running the fan on high will solve it. If not call in the cavalry.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have cleaned the filters recently haven't you. I know we have to clean ours a lot. When they start getting dirty you will know by the system not cooling as well.
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    If your thinking about doing the recharge first ask how they would do the recharge. There are no hookups on these trailer ac units. Not to say it can't be done, someone that's good could put some hookups on it.
    He said these are closed systems and cannot be recharged. The fee he quoted included replacing the entire unit plus labor.

First you would want to know why it went dry. These things don't just lose there charge that quickly without there being something wrong.
    He said it happens all the time. He said it looked like a slow leak because a fast leak would leave a pool and there wasn't one with ours. He said it would take several months to leak out slowly maybe even a year. This sounds logical since we haven't used it in almost 2 years since we were following the weather and never stayed anywhere that got above 80 for the first 2 years of full-timing. Of course, all warranties have also expired by now.

Now how much will it cost to fix and recharge. Might be cheaper to just replace it. A new unit should be under $1000 plus labor. It's not that difficult to replace. Hardest part would be getting the unit up on the roof.
    Yea, I don't do this kind of work anymore, especially in triple-digit heat and on a roof. Our 2 current window units are more than capable of keeping up with demand and like I said they use less electricity. If a new roof unit was $500 I'd consider it, but I'm not interested in spending a grand on another roof unit that might only last a year, like the first one.
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 08-15-2020 at 08:07 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    He said these are closed systems and cannot be recharged. The fee he quoted included replacing the entire unit plus labor.

He said it happens all the time. He said it looked like a slow leak because a fast leak would leave a pool and there wasn't one with ours. He said it would take several months to leak out slowly maybe even a year. This sounds logical since we haven't used it in almost 2 years since we were following the weather and never stayed anywhere that got above 80 for the first 2 years of full-timing. Of course, all warranties have also expired by now.

Yea, I don't do this kind of work anymore, especially in triple-digit heat and on a roof. Our 2 current window units are more than capable of keeping up with demand and like I said they use less electricity. If a new roof unit was $500 I'd consider it, but I'm not interested in spending a grand on another roof unit that might only last a year, like the first one.
    I am curious, did you permanently mount your window air conditioners or are you setting them up as needed?
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    I am curious, did you permanently mount your window air conditioners or are you setting them up as needed?
    As needed.
    The one in the rear kitchen window just leans outward against the top of the frame.
    I can pop it in or out of that window in like 2 minutes. It runs on about 3 amps. The one in the bedroom leans out against an aluminum bar that I cut to be just wider than the inside of the window. That one runs on 4 amps.
    We stuff rolled up Reflectix into the gaps and we’re done. Soon as the temps drop I’ll pop them both out and store them in the pass through.