Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything Has A Cost

We are quickly realizing that everything has a cost (not talking price) when it comes to selecting an camper size. build and floorplan.

We. have started our research very early, we don't retire for 6 years. Our plan is to travel full time, no more than 14 days in one spot. We plan on getting rid of the house and setting money aside to reestablish a full time residence once our health reaches the point where travel isnt practical. We figure at least 3 years on the road. Because we plan on staying mostly at State Parks and COE campgrounds and moving so oftern, we want to keep the length under 30 feet. We have found plenty of floor plans that work well for us in that length range The cost however is that most units in that size lack a few of the features and options we would really like. Most notably 50 amp power, double pane windows and dual ac units.

My question is for those that have owned rigs both with and without those features, how big of a difference have they made in the fulltime livability of the units?

We are not new to camping but have never done it for more than a week at a time or in anything larger than a 22' camper. Mostly it has been tents over the last 40 years.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonepuupy View Post
    We are quickly realizing that everything has a cost (not talking price) when it comes to selecting an camper size. build and floorplan.

We. have started our research very early, we don't retire for 6 years. Our plan is to travel full time, no more than 14 days in one spot. We plan on getting rid of the house and setting money aside to reestablish a full time residence once our health reaches the point where travel isnt practical. We figure at least 3 years on the road. Because we plan on staying mostly at State Parks and COE campgrounds and moving so oftern, we want to keep the length under 30 feet. We have found plenty of floor plans that work well for us in that length range The cost however is that most units in that size lack a few of the features and options we would really like. Most notably 50 amp power, double pane windows and dual ac units.

My question is for those that have owned rigs both with and without those features, how big of a difference have they made in the fulltime livability of the units?

We are not new to camping but have never done it for more than a week at a time or in anything larger than a 22' camper. Mostly it has been tents over the last 40 years.

With what you are looking for I would suggest looking at the 303. It is 33 ft but we have been in ours for over 5 years now. We aren't full time but we do live in it for 7 months out of 12, sometimes more. We also gravitate to state parks and national forests. We haven't had any problems finding or getting into sights with this length. Then you would get some of the items with it that you would like.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonepuupy View Post

I don't know if you're looking for a trailer or fifth wheel, but.....

We have a 26RL fifth wheel (no longer made), but the 29RS is similar. We're slightly over 30 foot, and we don't have dual pane windows. We have 2 AC (we added the second one ourselves). And we have 50 amp power.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the 303 and ordered it from the factory. It comes with 50-amp. We added the dual-pane windows, more about that in a minute. We also got the table and chairs (we leave two of the chairs at home, in the basement, since there are just the two of us. We opted for the second A/C. You’ve gotta love the fact that you can be sitting in the living area, running the A/C in the bedroom, and hardly even hear that it’s on. Same for going to bed and leaving the unit in the living area running. You don’t really hear it if you have the bedroom door closed. Our unit is 32’ 5”, so pretty close to what you are wanting.

Now for the windows. The large window at the rear, along with the pretty large window behind the recliners, both developed issues with the tracks. Neither one would slide properly, and both ended up binding the rubber guide that runs along the bottom of the window. We reported the issue to the dealer, and both were totally replaced, under warranty. I didn’t realize, until we had it back at home, that they had put in single-pane, regular windows, not the dual-pane. We were getting ready to hit the road for a three-week trip, and didn’t have time to get back to the dealer and have the proper windows installed.

There was a definite difference with the single-pane windows. We could hear a lot of outside noise coming through those two windows. Also, since it was late-winter/early-spring, the weather was from quite cool to downright cold. Both of the single-pane windows sweated so much, from indoor condensation, that they had to be wiped down several times a day. As a contrast, we’ve never had to wipe down one of the dual-pane windows, and they didn’t sweat during that trip either. If I were to buy another trailer (which we have no plan to do, as we think that the 303 is the perfect size for a couple, either short or long-term) it would definitely have dual-pane windows.

Hope that you find what you are looking for.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    We have the 303 and ordered it from the factory. It comes with 50-amp. We added the dual-pane windows, more about that in a minute. We also got the table and chairs (we leave two of the chairs at home, in the basement, since there are just the two of us. We opted for the second A/C. You’ve gotta love the fact that you can be sitting in the living area, running the A/C in the bedroom, and hardly even hear that it’s on. Same for going to bed and leaving the unit in the living area running. You don’t really hear it if you have the bedroom door closed. Our unit is 32’ 5”, so pretty close to what you are wanting.

Now for the windows. The large window at the rear, along with the pretty large window behind the recliners, both developed issues with the tracks. Neither one would slide properly, and both ended up binding the rubber guide that runs along the bottom of the window. We reported the issue to the dealer, and both were totally replaced, under warranty. I didn’t realize, until we had it back at home, that they had put in single-pane, regular windows, not the dual-pane. We were getting ready to hit the road for a three-week trip, and didn’t have time to get back to the dealer and have the proper windows installed.

There was a definite difference with the single-pane windows. We could hear a lot of outside noise coming through those two windows. Also, since it was late-winter/early-spring, the weather was from quite cool to downright cold. Both of the single-pane windows sweated so much, from indoor condensation, that they had to be wiped down several times a day. As a contrast, we’ve never had to wipe down one of the dual-pane windows, and they didn’t sweat during that trip either. If I were to buy another trailer (which we have no plan to do, as we think that the 303 is the perfect size for a couple, either short or long-term) it would definitely have dual-pane windows.

Hope that you find what you are looking for.
    That is exactly the kind of info we were looking for. Thank you very much! Dual panes sound like a no brainer. We are still a few years away from our purchase, but if we were to make the choice today we are leaning towards the 240RL. Seems to have all the space we would need.

We are looking for a smaller (22-26 footer)used trailer to purchase over the winter. A practice trailer if you will. We will probably only get 3 or 4 weeks and maybe another half dozen weekends use out of it. We will purchase our forever home about a year before retirement.

I appreciate your input. We are just up the Turnpike from you. We live in Boardman, OH.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a 311BHS 5th wheel this year with dual AC units and not dual pane glass.

My wife and I love that once the sun is down, we can do as described above and run the center/large AC in the night and barely if at all hear it.

But the single pane glass.... We run both units on a 96°F day full freaking blast and struggle to keep it below 80°F. If I were to go back, I would insist on the dual pane glass. Heck, it's a piddly $1500 (meaningless copared to a $55,000 purchase) upgrade. If $1500 means much to you, I suggest you get out of RVs and camping. Get into knitting.

I may look at swapping out the windows myself to get to double pane. It is not that big of a job, they are essentially pinched into the holes in the walls. Seal them up properly and move on with life.

But get the dual AC if your going to be baking in the hot weather and full sun, get the dual pane glass to help both with hot and cold weather. Have your solar panels installed and solar controller wired up, your invertor installed and lithium batteries all done at the dealer prior to pick up.

If I were going to full time, I think I would consider one of the much more robust lifetime roof options out there. One and done that thing, no roof top antics every 2-3 months to inspect, clean and seal. Make sure to upgrade tires, brakes and axles as you order the unit. It will be far cheaper than piece meal upgrading it later and tossing out the parts you just paid for a year ago.
    2020.5 Reflection 311BHS Dual AC, 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Level 2, 3.73 / 392 Hemi 14,404.34 lb towing and 3,004.34 payload, 2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB CC/LB, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2014 Wrangler Willys Edition, 2019 Iron Bull 14K 22' Equipment Trailer, 2019 Quality Trailers 7K 18' Utility Trailer