User Tag List

Thread: Disc brake kits

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disc brake kits

I am getting ready to put disc brakes on my 310 but have some questions. I have look at three different kits stop your trailer, performance trailer brakes, and now I see that E trailer has a complete kit. the last one is about $350 cheaper. Just trying to figure out the different between the kits. any opinions would be welcome. Also what do most of you do with the wiring that run to the current electric brakes?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope this response may still be helpful. I installed electric over hydraulic disk brake kit for my 32 ft boat trailer. Dramatic improvement. I used Kodiak disks at the time. For me the most important part was the hydraulic brake controller, I used a Dexter unit. Wiring hookup was straight forward. I would suggest placing the hydraulic brake controller as close as possible to your axles and and trailer wiring harness to minimize your hydraulic hose or tubing run. On my boat trailer I didn't have the option due to obvious water issues. From the controller you can use 1/4" or 3/8" flexible hydraulic hose all the way from controller to your axle(s) tee to caliper or manually bend metal tubing and transition to the flexible hose from the axle tee to caliper. All in all straight forward. Be careful of mixing part brands, as your threaded connectors may be different. I would remove/disconnect much of your old electric brake wiring remembering you still need some for your brake controller and brake lights etc. Good luck and safe travels.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I haven’t done yet because we ended up moving 650 miles away so the disc brakes got put on hold until spring. I am retired now so should have more time to work on it.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scott d View Post
    Thanks for the info. I haven’t done yet because we ended up moving 650 miles away so the disc brakes got put on hold until spring. I am retired now so should have more time to work on it.
    If you want a complete kit that is easy to install, then Performance Trailer Brakes is your kit. It is all Dexter components (Kodiak is a Dexter brand), comes complete, and the line kits is all hardline except for flexible whips (hoses) for each caliper. Machines brass tes. Standard GM brake pads are used. Dacrament coated rotors are included, along with new bearings, grease seals, and dust covers. Electric over hydraulic is cake to set up. Positive and negative direct to battery and the trigger wire straight to your umbilical junction box for direct splice. Use nothing of the electric brake wiring.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scott d. There are two you tube videos doing the disk brake upgrade install. One by etrailer upgrading a 2018 GD Momentum and the other by Performance Trailer Brakes. 25 and 40 minutes respectively if I recall.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add my recommendation for the components from Performance Brakes. I'm very happy with the brakes. I did have their mobile install team put them on and they did a great job.
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any of the kits work, the differences seem to boil down to the accessories that come with it such as brake lines, electrical and fasteners. You'll just need to decide which kit works better for your situation. I went with StopYourTrailer using the Dexter pump and Kodiak brakes. Ive had no issues. As far as the current electric line, I left it in place since it was tucked up into the belly and it was no longer connected to anything. On the axle, I tied them up and left them in place. The most time consuming item for me was locating a place for the pump to make sure I had enough brake line and it would be out of the weather so to speak. Which ever kit you get, you will love the vastly improved braking power!
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar