Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow Vehicle / Trailer Selection Quandry

We have another two weeks before the dealer gets a new shipment of the 29 RS that we signed up for. Today we stopped by the dealer to look at a 29 RS they have on lot (pulled to many shows) too kick the tires and visualize where the stuff would go. We wandered over to the 303 RLS and can see that; the storage questions are all answered, there are several features that we liked better and with not much more in their asking price. So do we switch....

Challenges:

1. The additional 2 feet in length will be an issue in getting a space in Yosemite (it's in our back yard). With that said it is almost impossible to get a campsite given it's popularity.

2. Weight. I have looked at the other thread asking what tow vehicle will handle the 303 and see several owners with the same tow vehicle or specs that I have. In addition there is another forum with 72 pages of some what confusing discussion on the actual truck/trailer weights compared to capacity with many WAY over.

If I look at the 303 and my Tow Vehicle following the gist of the 72 pages the pin weight will be over by 200 - 300 pounds. Here is how I got to that number:

>Truck - 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 2x4 6.6 Diesel
    >Truck GVWR - 9,200
    >Truck's Weight (people/gas/etc) - 7,400
    >Available Payload (pin weight) - 1,800 (GVWR - Truck Weight)
    >GCWR - 22,000

>Trailer - 303 RLS
    >GVWR - 11,995
    >Dry Weight - 9,215
    >Pin Weight (Dry) - 1,660
    >Dry Pin Weight % Calculation - 1,660 / 9,215 = 18%
    >*GVWR Pin Weight Calculation using 18% = 2,159
    >GCWR (truck and trailer) - 19,395

*Note - with-out any cargo the pin weight assumption is based on the max trailer weight or 11,995 utilizing the dry weight amounts.

In the above calculations (assuming max load) the trailer pin weight is 359 pounds in excess of the Truck GVWR. With that said the 303 RLS has a cargo caring capacity of 2,780 pounds which is a 1,000 pounds (ish) more than the 29 RLS. I cannot see carrying 2,780 pounds of stuff. If I recalculate carrying a max of 11,000 pounds the pin weight at 18% would be 1,980, still over yet closer.

The confusion comes from the 72 pages of weight discussion and the attempted use of a puzzling calculator. Are the calculations/assumptions correct? Those with the same truck/specs how did you decide you were ok?

Thanks
    The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Chuck
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    Elk Grove, Ca

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psotab2qdx.jpg

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have at least 6 303 Reflections on the road towing with your truck, or within 1 or 2 models years ....

All are happy with their combination.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I'm not the only one that got confused trying to get this figured out. I got on line and found a calculator that by the time everything was done our truck would handle a good size TT but a 5th wheel could only weight 5k and they weren't talking hitch or pin weight. After doing some simpler calculations and going over things with my wife's oldest brother who's been RVing forever he looked at everything and said that the truck should handle it with no problem.

As far as the 29 vs the 303, my wife and I went thru the same thing. Back and forth between the 2 for over a month and still walked thru the 29 one last time before we signed the papers on the 303. Price was the same for either unit but we liked the large slide on the passengers side so we can fully open the slides where it's parked next to the garage.

Good luck and I can see where getting into Yosemite would be a deciding factor.
    Tommy & Elaine Thornton
    Manassas, VA
    2015 Chevy 2500HD Z-71 6.0 crew cab short bed
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your head can spin with all the crunching of pin weight numbers. I think it all comes down to what ever you are most comfortable doing with your truck. It was time for us to get a new truck not long ago .
    We almost got the 2500 but it left us with no wiggle room at all for upgrading to a slightly larger trailer some day if we ever decided to do so. I wanted the comfort knowing we wouldn't have to buy another new truck if we ever moved up to a Solitude.
    (not likely to happen, but you never know for sure)

As for the 29 vs the 303, go into both , take a big look around and go with what ever your gut tells you to. We love our 303, it fits us and our 3 dogs perfectly
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chuck, it can be a very confusing subject. I believe that if truck GVWR was the law, there wouldn't be very many 5vers towed by 3/4 Tons...particularly diesels as they weigh more. Many will look at the rear axle and tire load ratings to decide if they're within capability. I think that you have to live within your comfort zone with respect to limits. Whatever you do, you should do knowingly...by the info you've provided, I see that you believe that too.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe if a truck can handle the load, tires are rated for load you should be ok, just sayin
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We choose the 303 over the 27 and 29, because of the room and the position of the tv and theater seating. The 303 weighs 1500 # more than our old rv. We pull it with a 1/2 T pickup wirh air bag overloads. In my opinion you have plenty of pickup to tow a 303 (former duramax owner)
    Becky, BoBo and Mike
    2015 Solitude 369RL
    2020 GMC 2500 Duramax
    Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chuck,

You have put a lot of thought into this . . . which is a good thing.
    I agree that "normal stuff" in a trailer this size is not going to be anywhere near 2780 lbs. Assuming that you will travel with nearly empty tanks, 1000 lbs is probably a more reasonable cargo estimate. Having said this, I don't think you can use the % scaling model because almost all of the storage on either model is forward of the trailer axles. So, maybe half of the additional weight is carried by the pin ?

When we chose our 303, the GM 2500 was a serious contender to be our TV, so I am familiar with its specs. As huntr70 has noted, I think there are a number of rigs configured like your plan. (We chose a completely different TV . . . but that is a whole lot longer story).

When comparing the 29RS and the 303RLS, I think an important consideration is whether you want the majority of the windows on the curb side or the street side. When we chose the 303, the 29 wasn't out yet, but the other 5th we were seriously considering had basically the layout of the 29. We like being able to see what is usually the living side of the campsite through the main windows.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am not into abbreviations and numbers. Just throw a set of air bags on your truck and enjoy your new trailer. You'll be okay with the 303.

As far as the length: If any campground asks how long your fifth wheel is, just lie. 2' is not enough that they'll know the difference, and the Tape Measure Police don't exist.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The Tape Measure Police don't exist" . . . LOL
    Well, ain't that the truth !!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast