User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Short Box Consideration

The tight spot risk is NOT backing up . . . it is going forward !
    I have a slider that I always use for a bunch of reasons (see previous posts) when backing into sites. What caught me by surprise was getting boxed into a sharp left hand (U) turn.
    All of a sudden, the trailer was tight to the truck, in the blind spot behind my left ear.
    Didn't touch ! But came within an inch !!

Something to think about for those with short box trucks . . .
    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You bring up a good point. They are so many different situations When you think you seen them all, another one comes alone. Reason you have to really pay attention to situation and keep the big picture focussed and not get tunnel vision.

LA5ver
    I was not so lucky. I have a slider but it was stuck in the forward position. Trying to make a turn in our cul-de-sac. Put a little crease in the driver side. This was the first ding on our new truck. My wife says to leave it. If I get it fixed, i'll just do it again.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting... The first thing I did when I got the chance towing the new camper home was to maneuver in a parking lot to check truck to camper clearance. I still had a few inches of clearance when turning full lock going forward because our F250 just doesn't have a very tight turning radius. Of course the clearance reduces when backing up tighter. This was with a Reese 15K Pro Series slider in the forward position. I've since changed to a B&W Patriot fixed hitch that's 4" further rearward than the Reese and now over the axle centerline...don't worry about clearance at all. Still mindful when backing into a tight spot and hasn't been an issue.

BTW, I never used the slider function on the Reese and still got into some tight spots. I did have a situation where I wanted to use the slider but couldn't get it to release...got into the site regardless.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the same small ding (crease) in my truck cab. Happened backing up my old 5W. The third time I backed into my driveway.
    Didn't have it repaired.

I too have gotten into a jam going forward (at a gas station.) Got too far into the turn and unable to move the slider. Luckily, I was able
    to back out of it.

Lessons learned......
    As long as I don't have to re-learn 'em, I'm okay just chalking it up to experience.

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting read. When we got the pick up it was to take the place of our 02 Tahoe to tow our 25' TT and wasn't planning on upgrading to a 5th wheel. Did install a slider and also had to remove the weatherguard tool box that I teased my wife about by referring to it as her trunk. The pickup is her DD and I drive the Tahoe, got rid of a Tacoma. Thanks for the info I'll defiantly be very cautious.
    Tommy & Elaine Thornton
    Manassas, VA
    2015 Chevy 2500HD Z-71 6.0 crew cab short bed
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'll just try to avoid towing in tight places with my 323BHS and F250 short bed truck.

Or, I'll let my wife back my trailer in. The one time I couldn't back into a campsite, she did it in one try--in the pitch dark. I've never heard the end of it.