User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    OKI-MAN
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Actually the 6.0 was built by International and the engine itself was a good engine. What messed it up was the government mandated emissions.
    Well be that as it may, I replaced the turbo, FICM, EGR valve and still couldn't pull a light trailer with only 117K miles on it when I gleefully walked away from it. It had a Ford emblem on it so to me thats no different than the Cummins in my Dodge or the Isuzu in the Chevys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem with the 6.0 was with the EGR cooler, the passages in were too small and they would plug up. Eliminating the Egr or replacing the cooler with one from Bullitproof was the best options for fixing it. With doing that you could have likely put a lot more miles on it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Actually the 6.0 was built by International and the engine itself was a good engine. What messed it up was the government mandated emissions.
    What messed it up was how the engineers and bean counters chose to comply with the emissions requirements.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an '02 F350 with the 7.3. Was a good truck for the first 219,000 miles. But whoa the last four years I only put 21,000 more miles on it and $8,500 in repairs in that time frame. It started with diesel fuel in radiator and anti-freeze in fuel. They replaced injector cups first, said that fixed it. Nope. Cracked heads, how that happened I don't know, never ran hot. All down hill from there. Replaced drivers side head again as first one was bad. Three sets of injectors. Injector wiring harnesses in galve covers. ICM. Finally ran good, then turbo blows. Then wire harness again. On back of tow truck at least half dozen times. Camping trips were not relaxing anymore, kept waiting for what next. Final straw was after thirteen years without a scratch on either dually fender, blew a rear tire (BFGoodrich that had a recall I never knew about) and destroyed right fender and minor damage to Reflection.
    Time to go truck shopping. Looked at all three. Knew I wanted to stay with dually. Seriously considered gas, because of all the expensive repairs on a diesel that in the end didn't give me any more miles than all my previous gas trucks. Ended up with the Chevy w/Duramax because they gave us the best deal. Would love to keep it a long time like the Ford, but first sign or repair after 6 year 100,000 mile warranty is up, it will be gone. I am not going down that road of never ending expensive repairs again.
    Btw, ran into my old truck at a gas station one day, guy said he has already replaced all eight injectors and something else. Confirmed my decision to get rid of it and start making truck payments again, was the right one.

To the OP I would definitely go with dually. I don't pull a trailer as heavy as yours, but I wouldn't want to do it with singles. I know many people do, but this is much more stable. Good luck, enjoy your new truck and fiver!
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your story sounds somewhat familiar, we had a 03 Ford with130,000 miles. It had been a good truck though without any serious breakdowns. It was starting to develop a little rust, and we felt just a little slip in the trans. With a big trip scheduled and not wanting to have that dreaded break down on the road, we decided to trade it in while we could still get good money for it. We were looking at 3/4 ton Fords and Chevy's. We were looking at LTZ's and Lariats when I saw an ad for a GMC 3500 Denali and thought let's take a look. When they said we could get it for the same price we were being offered for the 3/4 ton's, we couldn't leave it there.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123