Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rock Tamers - who uses them

Any of you guys use rock tamers or any other mudflap towing guards?

I like to keep my things as nice as possible and after the last 4 years I've succumbed. I ordered some rock tamers tonight.

My question is, what other brands do you guys use or consider?

Rock tamers seem to have the nicest, and easiest setup from what I've viewed, but they dont provide the most coverage area. The flaps are 24x24, where in comparison the rock solid's are 18x34. Much more lateral coverage area but the rest of the unit seems to lack the ease and quality.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the extra long Durflaps. So far they've done a great job.

Not my actual truck but very similar:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duraflaps.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	28771

Quote Originally Posted by the.jmo View Post

I like to keep my things as nice as possible and after the last 4 years I've succumbed. I ordered some rock tamers tonight.

Rock tamers seem to have the nicest, and easiest setup from what I've viewed, but they dont provide the most coverage area. The flaps are 24x24, where in comparison the rock solid's are 18x34. Much more lateral coverage area but the rest of the unit seems to lack the ease and quality.

2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I've got the extra long Durflaps. So far they've done a great job.

Not my actual truck but very similar:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duraflaps.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	28771
    I think they look ugly as all get up, so I only want them while in tow, and being that I use 2 different trucks to tow I like them removable also. So I need to stick with a hitch mounted system.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with Weather Tech mud flaps on all 4 wheel wells on the truck. They make one specific for a dually that covers the entire width of the wheels. I'm happy with them, they are solid, not a rubber flap and install is very easy. I dont care for the way Rock Tamers look, that's why there are many options, we all have different opinions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You didn't say what size truck or trailer, but I put some removable mud flaps (rock guards - what ever you want to call them) on my SRW that I made myself from some 18 wheeler mud flaps I had hanging around (no pun intended) to see if they helped and learned a few things....

1. On a SRW they just weren't wide enough (couldn't hang them out much wider than the truck) so when I drove on wet roads there was actually more spray going around the sides of the flaps making the RV dirtier than without them.

2. Trying to make them wider than the truck caused them to want to flap too much and also tear at the top where I mounted them to the support arm. I considered making some kind of anti-flap type support/device on them, but given lesson 1 I just stopped using them.

3. I hardly ever removed them after reaching my destination even though it only took a minute or 2 to do so. Maybe I'm lazy, maybe I didn't want to leave them laying about the campsite, or loose in the truck bed.

After 14,000 miles of towing I have little to no damage on the RV and it stays cleaner than with the flaps I made.

If I try something again it would be to install aluminum diamond plate to the lower front of the 5th wheel. Actually I think someone on this site did that and it looked pretty good.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    You didn't say what size truck or trailer, but I put some removable mud flaps (rock guards - what ever you want to call them) on my SRW that I made myself from some 18 wheeler mud flaps I had hanging around (no pun intended) to see if they helped and learned a few things....

1. On a SRW they just weren't wide enough (couldn't hang them out much wider than the truck) so when I drove on wet roads there was actually more spray going around the sides of the flaps making the RV dirtier than without them.

2. Trying to make them wider than the truck caused them to want to flap too much and also tear at the top where I mounted them to the support arm. I considered making some kind of anti-flap type support/device on them, but given lesson 1 I just stopped using them.

3. I hardly ever removed them after reaching my destination even though it only took a minute or 2 to do so. Maybe I'm lazy, maybe I didn't want to leave them laying about the campsite, or loose in the truck bed.

After 14,000 miles of towing I have little to no damage on the RV and it stays cleaner than with the flaps I made.

If I try something again it would be to install aluminum diamond plate to the lower front of the 5th wheel. Actually I think someone on this site did that and it looked pretty good.
    Both of these trucks pull my boat, but preferably only the Ford. I daily drive and pull with it.
    I use my ram only to haul the 5th wheel and it typically stays in the garage and is not daily driven unless there is a circumstance that requires it.
    Tapatalk wont allow me to attatch another photo but my 5th wheel is a 380TH

Which is why i would like the system to be easily transferred. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200723_153050.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	28778Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191109_165157.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	28779

Last edited by the.jmo; 08-16-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they look ugly as all get up, so I only want them while in tow, and being that I use 2 different trucks to tow I like them removable also. So I need to stick with a hitch mounted system.

I'm not a huge fan either, but it's either use the mudflaps get or get rock chips on my rear quarter panels. Dual rear wheels means twice the number of flying rocks and debris. I even went so far as to cover the entire rear fenders with XPel film. The XPel has done a terrific job of protecting the fenders.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh