User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to load a 5th wheel for first timer!

Headed out soon for our 1st trip in our 5th wheel. Truck is 2013 Chevy 2500HD with Duramax, payload is 2800#. Hitch is B&W Patriot slider. Trailer is 31' long, dry wt. is 9100, GVWR is 11000#. With my bumper pull I would load a little heavy in the rear of the trailer to reduce tongue weight. Is there a certain way to load for a 5th wheel.

1. Load some extra weight in the rear of the trailer (to reduce pin weight so payload is better)?
    2. Load anywhere (ie front storage) since hitch is over truck rear axle (would this INCREASE pin weight)?
    3. Load some heavy stuff in truck bed in front of hitch near rear window (to reduce trailer weight which should reduce pin weight)?

My neighbor says it doesn't matter, all the weights equal out. He actually said it will tow better with about 1/2 tank fresh water but that would sure add a lot of extra weight (about 300#). I got some chucking while driving it home from the dealer so hoping that gets better with the trailer fully loaded. Thoughts? I plan on getting to a CAT scale on this trip.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdan View Post
    Headed out soon for our 1st trip in our 5th wheel. Truck is 2013 Chevy 2500HD with Duramax, payload is 2800#. Hitch is B&W Patriot slider. Trailer is 31' long, dry wt. is 9100, GVWR is 11000#. With my bumper pull I would load a little heavy in the rear of the trailer to reduce tongue weight. Is there a certain way to load for a 5th wheel.

1. Load some extra weight in the rear of the trailer (to reduce pin weight so payload is better)?
    2. Load anywhere (ie front storage) since hitch is over truck rear axle (would this INCREASE pin weight)?
    3. Load some heavy stuff in truck bed in front of hitch near rear window (to reduce trailer weight which should reduce pin weight)?

My neighbor says it doesn't matter, all the weights equal out. He actually said it will tow better with about 1/2 tank fresh water but that would sure add a lot of extra weight (about 300#). I got some chucking while driving it home from the dealer so hoping that gets better with the trailer fully loaded. Thoughts? I plan on getting to a CAT scale on this trip.
    I think it's best to try to load the trailer evenly. That way there's equal distribution of weight on the axles/wheels. I don't know whether reducing the weight on the hitch is necessary, or do-able.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to a CAT scale. Weigh the truck loaded as you would tow with a full tank of fuel without the trailer and then weight the truck and trailer to see where your weights are. This should give you a PIN weight and you can adjust from there. Knowledge is power. The limiting factor on 3/4 ton trucks is available payload, then rear axle and tire rating. Once you have your weights you can determine how to load.

YMMV
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't mention which 5th wheel you have but most of them don't have a lot of storage space in the rear so you can't really add enough heavy items to make much of a difference.

Yes, adding items to the front storage compartment will increase pin weight. I would avoid adding heavy items to the front storage if you can since you have a 2500. Any weight added forward of the axles adds to the pin weight. The further forward that you load the weight, the more impact it has on the pin weight.

Anything you take from the RV and move to the truck will reduce the pin weight but it also reduces your available payload. In other words, you don't gain anything by doing this.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    you didn't mention which 5th wheel you have but most of them don't have a lot of storage space in the rear so you can't really add enough heavy items to make much of a difference.
    i have the reflection 29rs. It has the sofa in the rear, theater chairs on one side and tv/fireplace on other which are behind the axles, the other half of each slide (dining table, 2 chairs and bench on one side and frig/stove on the other) sit on or in front of axle. Other that that i have a narrow spot between the slides and put a 40# canopy there.
    2. Load anywhere (ie front storage) since hitch is over truck rear axle (would this increase pin weight)?
    yes, adding items to the front storage compartment will increase pin weight. I would avoid adding heavy items to the front storage if you can since you have a 2500. Any weight added forward of the axles adds to the pin weight. the further forward that you load the weight, the more impact it has on the pin weight. i had hoped to do this but really no room to do it.

anything you take from the rv and move to the truck will reduce the pin weight but it also reduces your available payload. In other words, you don't gain anything by doing this.
    wouldn't weight in the trailer only be appx. 20% added to payload vs in truck bed at 100%? In other words 100# in the truck would equal 20# in added pin weight?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdan View Post
    In other words 100# in the truck would equal 20# in added pin weight?
    It's all about where the weight in the trailer goes. If you put 100lbs in the RV directly over the center of the axles, yes, that would add approximately 20lbs to the pin weight. If you put that same 100lbs in the front closet of the RV, you'd be adding almost the full 100lbs to the pin weight because that weight is directly over the pin box rather than being distributed over the axles. If you hang that 100lbs off the rear bumper of the RV, it would probably lighten the pin weight slightly. It depends on the distance from your axles to your rear bumper among other things.

And by the way, every pound you add to the truck reduces your available payload by a pound. The weight of your passengers, the hitch and anything else added to the truck (tools, dogs, etc) reduces your available payload.
    Last edited by bertschb; 08-16-2020 at 09:11 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    It's all about where the weight in the trailer goes. If you put 100lbs in the RV directly over the center of the axles, yes, that would add approximately 20lbs to the pin weight. If you put that same 100lbs in the front closet of the RV, you'd be adding almost the full 100lbs to the pin weight because that weight is directly over the pin box rather than being distributed over the axles. If you hang that 100lbs off the rear bumper of the RV, it would probably lighten the pin weight slightly. It depends on the distance from your axles to your rear bumper among other things.

And by the way, every pound you add to the truck reduces your available payload by a pound. The weight of your passengers, the hitch and anything else added to the truck (tools, dogs, etc) reduces your available payload.
    That all makes sense. Almost all of my added weight is in the front storage area. Since it's about 3' back from the pin I wonder what % of that weight is actually added to the pin weight? Was thinking about getting a hitch mounted cargo carrier and use it on the back of my trailer. I would think this would be better than loading the heavy stuff in the front storage area? First though I need to get to a CAT scale and get my numbers. Thanks for the input.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, finally got to a CAT Scale today. Didn't get a 'truck only' weight so not sure how much good these numbers are other than to know that I am not 'over' on my axle weights:

Steer Axle 4500 (truck sticker 5200 max)
    Drive Axle 5580 (truck sticker 6200 max)
    Trailer Axle 8020
    Gross weight 18100

Would like to know the pin weight but we didn't want to unhitch. Any comments on these figures?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to load a 5th wheel for first timer!

With the truck you described and those numbers, if the truck pulls it well but more importantly, controls the trailer going downhill, then have a great time!
    But I’m also assuming it loaded like you were headed out for a trip.

+++++++++++++++++++
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Andersen ultimate
    2020 GD 31MB
    Champion dual fuel 3500 generator
    Steadyfast stabilizers
    Dinosaur electronics ignitor board
    MicroAir Easy-Start
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgkeaney View Post
    With the truck you described and those numbers, if the truck pulls it well but more importantly, controls the trailer going downhill, then have a great time!
    But I’m also assuming it loaded like you were headed out for a trip.

+++++++++++++++++++
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Andersen ultimate
    2020 GD 31MB
    Champion dual fuel 3500 generator
    Steadyfast stabilizers
    Dinosaur electronics ignitor board
    MicroAir Easy-Start
    Actually was headed back from our beach trip so loaded weight was pretty close minus food and a couple cases of beer! :-)