User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the recall on my 2019. It never dropped before or after the fix.
    My understanding was that it had to do with water getting into the electric release and causing it to open.
    Unfortunately, this idea got stuck bouncing around under my tin foil hat,... so I keep checking the rear view mirrors after every bump.

I really like the idea of a safety catch system.
    I am going to look at using my factory in-bed locking handles to see if I can connect a strap or cord to the tailgate. It would make me feel better when driving. I don't want to make any holes in the tailgate, so I'll have to see what I can find.
    Thanks for the idea.
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    I had the recall on my 2019. It never dropped before or after the fix.
    My understanding was that it had to do with water getting into the electric release and causing it to open.
    Unfortunately, this idea got stuck bouncing around under my tin foil hat,... so I keep checking the rear view mirrors after every bump.

I really like the idea of a safety catch system.
    I am going to look at using my factory in-bed locking handles to see if I can connect a strap or cord to the tailgate. It would make me feel better when driving. I don't want to make any holes in the tailgate, so I'll have to see what I can find.
    Thanks for the idea.
    Rob
    come-on Rob! drill some holes!!! break that truck in good!! haha - just kidding

I used an existing screw in the tail gate for that small latch I made for attach to.

And I learned the hard way to put a spring on the chain in case I let it open too hard or fast - I learned the hard way the chain or latch can break without a spring.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geeze, as if I don't have enough things to worry about while towing. Hope they fixed this in the 2020 trucks.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont have the electric tailgate, mine is a 2016 so I'm not too familiar with the setup. If you were to use the key and lock the tailgate would it prevent the ability for the electric release? If that works, could be a temp fix until the recall is performed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's weird is my tailgate locks along with the doors when I start driving. You can't drop the tailgate with the button on the dash until you unlock the doors. Maybe that's something they changed in 2020 to prevent the tailgate from opening while underway. I dunno...
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of us who have Fords with Electric Tailgate releases, please be aware that the placement of the Tailgate release button can cause a problem.

My 2019 F350 has the release button on the lower Left hand side of the dash, down by the Park Brake Release pull. I have found that while pulling the Park Brake release lever, the heel of my hand can accidentally press the release button.

It has happened to me !
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I dont have the electric tailgate, mine is a 2016 so I'm not too familiar with the setup. If you were to use the key and lock the tailgate would it prevent the ability for the electric release? If that works, could be a temp fix until the recall is performed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    No there is no key hole on the electric release models, just the push button release.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    come-on Rob! drill some holes!!!
    Burrrrr (shiver), that makes me break out in hives! For some reason I just get queasy about drilling into such an expensive item.
    In the past, I have always made brackets to use existing holes (or to reach holes I put in, that are hidden).

I didn't think about the spring, but I think you are right, that's a heavy tailgate to drop down. I'm not sure a bungee cord or rubber strap would be enough.
    OK, now that I think about it, the tailgate goes down slowly. There might be some kind of 'assist' that slows the gate down. At first release, it goes open a couple of inches fast and then slowly lowers itself.
    The larger problem might be the stress from bouncing on the safety strap until I notice it.

Weekend project # 2,472.

Thanks;
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    Burrrrr (shiver), that makes me break out in hives! For some reason I just get queasy about drilling into such an expensive item.
    In the past, I have always made brackets to use existing holes (or to reach holes I put in, that are hidden).

I didn't think about the spring, but I think you are right, that's a heavy tailgate to drop down. I'm not sure a bungee cord or rubber strap would be enough.
    OK, now that I think about it, the tailgate goes down slowly. There might be some kind of 'assist' that slows the gate down. At first release, it goes open a couple of inches fast and then slowly lowers itself.
    The larger problem might be the stress from bouncing on the safety strap until I notice it.

Weekend project # 2,472.

Thanks;
    Rob
    haha..... My wife disappears every time I put a new hole into the RV or truck. Let's see - the RV's major holes... 6"x6" hole for electric reel for the 50mp cord; 6"x12" hole for the microwave vent; sawsall to the rear bumper (cut it off). Truck - actually none in the outside; a few in the dash for plugs & mounts... gotta love a drill and multitool!!!
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    sawsall to the rear bumper (cut it off). Truck - actually none in the outside; a few in the dash for plugs & mounts... gotta love a drill and multitool!!!
    Next to the cordless drill/impact tool, the Sawzall is the best thing out there. I couldn't even begin to count the number of things I've demolished with my Sawzall! It does wonders when nothing else gets the job done.

Going to the hardware store tonight. I will be checking out the chain/cable/spring options to see what I can use. The length has to be just right to allow connection/disconnection at the Tailgate.

Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast