User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interior finish on 2020 imagine not very durable

Has anyone else who has a 2020 imagine notice how very weak the wood tone finish is on these units? I wonder if it's across the board or just ours? The finish scrapes off very easily to reveal a white undercoat (or whatever it is). I first noticed this when the sliding door to the bathroom snap failed while we were on a trip, to prevent it from bouncing around in-flight, I put some duct tape to hold it open. I removed the duct tape 12 hours later when we got home, and off came almost all of the 'wood finish'. So no duct tape... instead later I was doing some work and used regular blue masking tape...that should be safe right? NOT. although it had less finish peeling off, there was still a chunk that came off. This is the most fragile finish I have ever seen on anything. Anyone else have this problem? For those that have, what are you doing to touch this up? Since its multi-tone i'm not sure how best to match it.

Cheers,

Bob
    2020 imagine 2500rl; 2021 F250 Tremor 7.3
    youtube: @bobanddangsjourney

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcrowe View Post
    Has anyone else who has a 2020 imagine notice how very weak the wood tone finish is on these units? I wonder if it's across the board or just ours? The finish scrapes off very easily to reveal a white undercoat (or whatever it is). I first noticed this when the sliding door to the bathroom snap failed while we were on a trip, to prevent it from bouncing around in-flight, I put some duct tape to hold it open. I removed the duct tape 12 hours later when we got home, and off came almost all of the 'wood finish'. So no duct tape... instead later I was doing some work and used regular blue masking tape...that should be safe right? NOT. although it had less finish peeling off, there was still a chunk that came off. This is the most fragile finish I have ever seen on anything. Anyone else have this problem? For those that have, what are you doing to touch this up? Since its multi-tone i'm not sure how best to match it.

Cheers,

Bob
    I know. When I removed the sticker they had installed over the control center a piece of that finish came off. It's a really really thin and fragile finish. The dealer mixed some oil paint that is used on canvas painting and did a really good job of matching. You can kinda of see it if you know where to lock and know about it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought an "early build" 2020 2800bh last year that had the older style cabinets and woodwork. When I saw the lighter color cabinets and woodwork of the newer build I was glad I got the older model. While the lighter color is fine IMO the newer style cabinets resemble Walmart furniture.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrbsrsr View Post
    I bought an "early build" 2020 2800bh last year that had the older style cabinets and woodwork. When I saw the lighter color cabinets and woodwork of the newer build I was glad I got the older model. While the lighter color is fine IMO the newer style cabinets resemble Walmart furniture.
    Agree, we rented a 2019 2500RL prior to purchasing, and the interior woodwork seemed a lot better. I like the actual hinges and hardware on the new style, but the wood (can you call it that?) and the finish sucks in comparison.
    2020 imagine 2500rl; 2021 F250 Tremor 7.3
    youtube: @bobanddangsjourney

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it's a painted finish...yikes we should be getting our 2021 in the next two weeks. I think the cabinets are very Euro-modern looking.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatlady View Post
    Sounds like it's a painted finish...yikes we should be getting our 2021 in the next two weeks. I think the cabinets are very Euro-modern looking.
    No it's a paper finish. It's just really really thin.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed it is not durable as well. I really like the look of the 2020 Imagine, it was a big factor in my purchase. I've never liked the dark colors of older campers.
    All that aside, I noticed at the bottom of the bedroom "dresser" (2450RL) it is already delaminating at the bottom edge by the floor, ill be putting in a warranty claim for that on the 1st of the month. Ill let you know what they say.
    Ill just be as careful as possible, cause I still really like the camper.

Mark

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm close to buying a reflection 5th wheel. This honestly sounds like a deal breaker to me. Guess i'll do a blue masking tape test before purchasing now.

Todd

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of the RV cabinets are built this way as solid wood would be heavy and expensive. The same holds true in some of the mid to lower range priced cabinets for home. Yes these finishes are not as durable as a home cabinet is, but is what the RV industry and many other cabinet makers use right or wrong. Good luck finding another brand of RV in the price ranges they are being sold that don't make the cabinets this way. You would need to be up into the higher end models.

We have a 2020 Reflection and I have damaged the finish on a few of our doors. One i had to glue the paper back on and others I used furniture markers/crayons to cover the nicks/scratches. I don't expect these to take the wear like my solid wood cabinets at home so I have to remember to be careful. Also I never attach anything to the cabinets with sticky backing including painters tape or command hooks unless I know it will stay there forever. Once you try to remove them you will damage the paper.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody is asking for solid wood cabinets, but if the finish is as fragile as some of the people are saying...that is concerning. Especially when someone claims the older model cabinets were better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast