Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Using a portable generator

I purchased a 3400 watt portable generator (weights 95 lbs) to use when I'm at campgrounds without electrical hookups. Our first trip to a campground without electrical hook ups is coming up in September. I will be carrying the generator on a Curt cargo carrier which fits into my 5th wheel hitch on the back of the trailer. My question is: Is it a safety concern for me to use the generator will still sitting on the cargo carrier or do I need to move it further away from the trailer? Obviously I don't want to have the windows open near the back of the trailer so I don't get fumes inside. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMortons View Post
    I purchased a 3400 watt portable generator (weights 95 lbs) to use when I'm at campgrounds without electrical hookups. Our first trip to a campground without electrical hook ups is coming up in September. I will be carrying the generator on a Curt cargo carrier which fits into my 5th wheel hitch on the back of the trailer. My question is: Is it a safety concern for me to use the generator will still sitting on the cargo carrier or do I need to move it further away from the trailer? Obviously I don't want to have the windows open near the back of the trailer so I don't get fumes inside. Any thoughts on this? Thanks
    I have a champion 3500 dual fuel. It sits on the same tray on the back of my 31MB. I run it there and haven’t noticed issues with fumes. Biggest complaint running it on the tray for me is the noise and vibration that comes through the trailer. So I try to pull it off and move it 10 -20 feet away. But have left it attached with no issues yet (that I know of!)

+++++++++++++++++++
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Andersen ultimate
    2020 GD 31MB
    Champion dual fuel 3500 generator
    Steadyfast stabilizers
    Dinosaur electronics ignitor board
    MicroAir Easy-Start
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMortons View Post
    If down the road you get tired of lifting a 95# generator on/off, take a look at this 2000w Champion at about 38#. It’s one of the lightest on the market. It can be paralleled, starts on 1st pull, is just about as quiet as a Honda but at one-half the price, and it sips gas.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...ter-generator/
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses. The Champion dual fuel generator is the same one I have. I thought about getting a lower wattage generator that weighed less but I wanted to run one of my A/C units without concern. I probably won't be using it all that often so I don't think the weight will be a problem. The higher wattage may come in handy around the house too.