Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bubbles on roof - brand new trailer

We bought a 2021 Xplor 265BH end of May, the freezer was icing so we made an appointment to take it back to the dealer; what a surprise when my husband went up to the roof to make sure there was nothing on the slide out, the roof membrane had bubbles. The dealer representative just called and said he sent pictures to Grand Design and that they said that is normal. We are very concerned because moisture can build underneath the bubbles and then we will have a serious problem. I would like to add the pictures but really don't know how to add them. Have any of you had this situation? Thank you for your replies.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like this is becoming a popular complaint. Hard to tell without pics (you have to pay to be a site member to post). I would take pics and get in touch with GD directly to make sure it is documented.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishfultraveler View Post
    We bought a 2021 Xplor 265BH end of May, the freezer was icing so we made an appointment to take it back to the dealer; what a surprise when my husband went up to the roof to make sure there was nothing on the slide out, the roof membrane had bubbles. The dealer representative just called and said he sent pictures to Grand Design and that they said that is normal. We are very concerned because moisture can build underneath the bubbles and then we will have a serious problem. I would like to add the pictures but really don't know how to add them. Have any of you had this situation? Thank you for your replies.
    How did this problem end up? Did GD resolve it?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to add my two cents. We purchased a GD 2970RL in November and just finished our 4th camping trip with it. It has gotten warmer now and when inspecting the roof it looks as if the top layer is coming unglued from the foundation under it. This causes the bubbles to appear and is unsightly but so far appears to be water proof. That being said, one would think that bubbles can be popped by something falling on them (pine cones for example). Having just paid out of pocket a lot of money to fix a roof problem on another trailer I have to admit to being concerned about this after only 5 months of ownership.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd bet that bubbles of air would actually be harder to puncture than when the membrane is up against a hard backing. Even so, I'd want it attached properly.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through this last year. Purchased our 28bh in June and noticed the bubbles. Told the dealer and they we’re told by GD that it is normal. So far no problems.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0945.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	33233
    2021 Reflection 28BH
    Pullrite Superlite 2600
    2019 Ford F250 CC SB 6.7L
    2017 Jayco 27bhs (Sold)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth I remember seeing a dealer on youtube showing a new trailer and he commented that the bubbles on the roof are common when new and would go away in time. I wouldn't think you would make a video purposely showing a defective roof and say it's normal if that's not the case but who knows...
    2021 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn/CCSB//4X4/SRW/HEMI/4:10
    2019 Imagine 2250RK~Sold

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bubbles on any glued down roofing membrane are common, but don't have to be. All are generated by workmanship issues. "Islands" are generally not an issue, but watch for them growing and coalescing which signifies a bond issue like as exceeding pot life of the adhesive, trapped dirt (commonly saw dust), decking was laid wrong side up (happens all the time regardless of buildings
    or RV applications, etc.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Roof bubbles in brand new Xplore.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseshoer View Post
    How did this problem end up? Did GD resolve it?
    Sorry I did not reply to your comment before, I have been busy with my 100 yo mom.

The problem has not been resolved it has gotten worse. When we took the tt to the dealer last year (a couple of months after the purchase) we told them about the roof bubbles and the soft feeling soft in the rear. The dealer told us they sent pictures to GD and they said it was normal to just keep on eye on it. Come to find out the dealer never ever sent GD pictures of our roof, just lied to us.

Everything seemed ok and last week we had a leak in the living area, we contacted the dealer and they are too busy and won't be able to even see the trailer until late June or July ( the one year warranty will be over then) I called GD and got permission to take it to an RV tech here in town. The tech says we need a new room that the roof was not installed properly and even some of the beams have to be replaced. GD gave ok to do a "hot patch" but won't approve roof replacement they want me to take it to the dealer in Tampa. The RV tech suggested we get a 2nd opinion and suggested we call La Mesa that they have a mobile tech that can go to where the tt is and they can check and take more pictures to verify the need for a new roof. La Mesa was very nice and said they did not want to take our money and that GD has a representative that can go to where the tt is to inspect it. Called GD and they said nope, they don't have such a thing. Called La Mesa back and we can take the trailer to them on the 29th and they will inspect and take pictures of the roof.
    We do not want to really deal with the Tampa dealer, they lied and kept our tt for 2+ months the last time and now they don't have any appts until end of June.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishfultraveler View Post
    Sorry I did not reply to your comment before, I have been busy with my 100 yo mom.

The problem has not been resolved it has gotten worse. When we took the tt to the dealer last year (a couple of months after the purchase) we told them about the roof bubbles and the soft feeling soft in the rear. The dealer told us they sent pictures to GD and they said it was normal to just keep on eye on it. Come to find out the dealer never ever sent GD pictures of our roof, just lied to us.

Everything seemed ok and last week we had a leak in the living area, we contacted the dealer and they are too busy and won't be able to even see the trailer until late June or July ( the one year warranty will be over then) I called GD and got permission to take it to an RV tech here in town. The tech says we need a new room that the roof was not installed properly and even some of the beams have to be replaced. GD gave ok to do a "hot patch" but won't approve roof replacement they want me to take it to the dealer in Tampa. The RV tech suggested we get a 2nd opinion and suggested we call La Mesa that they have a mobile tech that can go to where the tt is and they can check and take more pictures to verify the need for a new roof. La Mesa was very nice and said they did not want to take our money and that GD has a representative that can go to where the tt is to inspect it. Called GD and they said nope, they don't have such a thing. Called La Mesa back and we can take the trailer to them on the 29th and they will inspect and take pictures of the roof.
    We do not want to really deal with the Tampa dealer, they lied and kept our tt for 2+ months the last time and now they don't have any appts until end of June.
    Wow, so a roof with bubbles is normal even though they are there because of improper installation causing air to get between the membrane and the roof? This is so unfortunate, as you spent your hard earned money on a brand that touts high quality. I am window shopping, and I really had my heart set on a GD, but seeing post like this are concerning. Is this a common problem across all brands? Would love to know the final outcome. Did GD stand behind you with a warranty fix?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast