User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MSRP versus Sale Price

So the "COVID demand" for RV's is truly a real thing. It's almost impossible to look at a new Imagine 2600RB here in Texas, because they're being sold/diverted as soon as they're shipped (don't look at dealers' websites showing availability; they're not really there). We have found a unit to look at (150 miles away) but all this has got me to thinking; if demand is really exceeding supply as badly as it seems, what's that doing to the ability to negotiate price down from MSRP?

So, for all those of you who have bought a new Grand Design within the last three months or so, how much were you able to bargain below MSRP at the dealer?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVLIN View Post
    So the "COVID demand" for RV's is truly a real thing. It's almost impossible to look at a new Imagine 2600RB here in Texas, because they're being sold/diverted as soon as they're shipped (don't look at dealers' websites showing availability; they're not really there). We have found a unit to look at (150 miles away) but all this has got me to thinking; if demand is really exceeding supply as badly as it seems, what's that doing to the ability to negotiate price down from MSRP?

So, for all those of you who have bought a new Grand Design within the last three months or so, how much were you able to bargain below MSRP at the dealer?
    Here is what Im going to do. Do you remember when Harley Davidson and specialty motorcycles were the rage? Well, many of those motorcycles are selling for a dime on the dollar, or crashed. I think that the RV market will be the same people that impulse bought because of covid will lose interest fast and flood the market with used units. Just give it time, I would almost guarantee it. Just my opinion.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MSRP versus Sale Price

I’m shopping now and they aren’t being very flexible with pricing. It’s definitely a sellers market.

At the same time, no one is trying to lock me into a contract because it’s easy to find another buyer.

I agree there’s likely to be a lot of availability in a year or so. But if you want an RV now that doesn’t help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered a 310GK in mid July in Seattle. There were probably 4 Solitudes at one dealer and 6 at the other when I went looking. I got 30% off of the total. Base unit price plus the options plus washer+dryer+install plus the new GD axle upgrade fee ($2,285) plus the $500 worth of junk (sewer hose, etc) the dealer gives you. All of that got 30% off. Then on top of that I paid state tax, city tax, administration fee, other fee.

It was by reading THIS group that I was even aware that I could get that big a discount. I NEVER get as good a deal as other people, so when one dealer offered a 20% discount I was just resigned to paying more. Second dealer came in at 26% off. I really didn't want to deal with that dealer based on his Google reviews. So I just sent the quote to the dealer I wanted to buy from that had the great customer and service reviews and said, if you can match this price I'll buy from you. I was honestly surprised when he did better than match it.

The "process" takes longer than buying a new car it seems. It comes with a bit of angst (it's SO much money; is this the "best" dealer). You have to be content to wait for the next email and not be in a hurry. I've got another RV for a home, so I didn't NEED it NOW. But now that it's ordered, WHEN IS MY RV GETTING HERE!
    (Ordered 7/13/20) 2021 Solitude 310GK, FBP, DP, HP, Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes
    Built 9/9/20; To Paint 9/11/20 (5-6 weeks); Done Paint 10/1/20; MORryde axle upgrade 10/5/20; Done at MORryde and paid for 10/8/20; Arrived at Dealer 10/20/20; picked up 11/7/20

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely a sellers market; I got 25% off of MSRP Plus taxes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Covid RV demand is real. A neighbor is number 50 on the waiting list for a small Jayco at a major Jayco dealer, Crestview Buda. PPL Motorhomes has the lowest number of RV's for sale in many years.

Good luck with your negotiations. Shoot for 30% off and prepare to settle.

We were shopping in 2017 when Harvey hit Texas. Best price local was $27K or 20% off MSRP. Bought a 4 month old 2017 2600RB on ebay for $22K with warranty transfer. Driving 600 miles round trip was well worth saving $5,000 for us.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We took delivery of our Imagine 2970RL on July 31st after putting down a refundable deposit in early June. We were looking at the 2600RB and went to a dealer to look at one that according to their website they had on the lot. We showed up and they said they just shipped it to one of their other branches because they sold it. They did have a used 2018(?) 2600RB that we looked at just to get a feel for the layout and size. We then started looking at the other Imagines they had on the lot. We looked at the 2970RL and really liked it. But what were we thinking it was so much bigger than the 2600RB. We were coming from a smaller less modern TT. We kept looking and kept coming back to the 2019 2970RL. We left and I emailed the sales person and asked what the price on it would be. They gave me their price. In my head I was stuck on I want 34% off MSRP. Well that didn't happen. I think we parted ways at $34,000, with them being close but not where I wanted to be in my mind. Felt good to be able to walk away.

I then found a 2021 2970RL online at a nearby dealer that said 'Coming Soon'. I emailed their Internet sales person and asked for a price. She said the trailer was on order with an estimated delivery date of August 1st. She gave me a purchase price of $34,777 which included an Equalizer E2 WD hitch. I asked if they could do $34,000 which is where I wanted to be with the previous dealer. She said no that was their best. I put down a $1,000 refundable deposit with delivery estimated to be August 1st. So we were essentially where we left off at the other dealer for a prior year model. The new purchase included the hitch so we were exactly were we were but with a current model year. My negotiations with the first dealer provided a reality check on what a 'good' purchase price was.

The dealer received a 2021 2970RL on the lot towards the end of July and asked if we wanted that one. We said we would wait for ours on August 1st. WE still had equipment and accessories to get so we weren't in a hurry.

What I found was that a 30% plus off MSRP on a Grand Design is probably not going to happen, especially now. On other brands and models such as Jayco and Forrest River you can probably get that much of a discount but that just means they jack up the MSRP and play a numbers game. We are very happy with what we got and what we paid. I am confident that we bought our second trailer first since we were considering the Imagine 2600RB and ended up with a larger Imagine 2970RL. Looking back my wife and I are very happy we went with the larger 2970RL.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MSRP was about 50k, got it for about 38.5k with little effort. Taxes extra of course.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just picked up our 2021 2970RL 3 weeks ago. MSRP was $61,995 and we got it for $43,995 plus taxes in Canada

Shopped around after and saw 2020’s going for $46-48k. So we think we got a good deal.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I’m going to wait till next year, I should imagine a lot of those RVs will be finding their way onto the used market. A lot of folks find RVing is not for them, I strongly suspect even more who impulse purchased this year will be realizing the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast