Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OnStar WiFi Hotspot

Does anyone have any experience with using the OnStar WiFi Hotspot for your internet connection?

I just bought 2020 Sierra and it came with a trial period of Hotspot. I am sitting as I type in campground checking it out. Its supposed to have a 50 ft range but I have not tested it. I have TMobile and no service where I sit. I do have WiFi calling if I can get an internet connection. Truck is parked 15 ft away and I can connect phones, TV and iPad inside trailer.

Problem I’ve run into is truck must be either running or in Accessory mode for connection to work. I am sitting here now in trailer with Accessory mode on in truck, Fob is in seat (so it won’t automatically turn off) and door shut. Auto lights mode is turned off. I know this will eventually run down battery. I’m about to back up truck and hookup 7 pin. I think it’s supposed to keep truck battery charged when connected to shore power. If this works, this will be a pretty good solution for $15/mo.

Thoughts/Suggestions

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used it for the last 3 years or so while camping. You won't get anywhere near the speed a cell phone can get normally 3-6 down with a good connection but it will vary at times depending on load on the system. I have been able to watch Netflix in HD etc without much issue though.

It will drain the battery faster than you think. Even with 2 brand new yellow top optima's and everything off my truck will be stone dead if I forget to turn it off before bed. And that's turning it on in the late afternoon.

Oh and "unlimited" wifi is $25 per month. Still not bad if you have a decent At&t signal

Edit: I carry a trickle charger that I will sometimes hook up if I have it on for long periods. Still won't leave it on overnight.
    Last edited by JKellerJr; 08-21-2020 at 09:59 AM.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A buddy and I both have 2018 Denalis and both had GM's wifi for awhile. Last year we both managed to kill our batteries in a few short hours running wifi, despite turning everything else possible off. I had planned to wire in a trickle charger permanently so I could keep the truck plugged in to the campsite pedestal or trailer outside outlet while parked, and leave the wifi running. We ended up getting better cell phone plans instead and cancelled the GM wifi.
    2020 Solitude 380FL with B&W Companion 20K hitch
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F/U - I ran out of the Onstar $15/mo plan data in 2 days of usage and upgraded to the $25/mo unlimited data plan. I am currently in David Crockett SP in Lawrenceburg, TN still experimenting with wifi. I have a decent T-Mobile signal and added their $15/mo Personal Hotspot plan yesterday. I connected my MacBook Air to the T-Mobile hotspot and got 4.6 Mbps. I got a few instances of buffering/loading and grainy internet based TV but otherwise worked fairly well. I'm looking at several cell signal boosters to see if that would increase the signal in my camper and would this increase Mbps? I then connected to my Onstar wifi and got 22.7 Mbps. Onstar cost more but is much faster, at least in this location. But there's the downside with Onstar and having to have truck accessory on, running down battery. Anyone else have experience or interest in this? Thankyou for the replies above. Still trying to make a decision.
    Marty and Teresa Hawkins
    Mount Olive, AL
    2022 Reflection 260RD
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve had unlimited Onstar Wifi for over three years now and love it. It usually beats our cell phone hotspots in speed and signal strength. Of course in heavilly populated areas, cell phone congestion can reak havoc on speed. Only been a few spots where Verizon cell service had no bars. Both were is rural mountainous terrain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you turn on Accessories and leave keys in vehicle? How do you handle battery drainage?