User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 2250RK Solar Wiring

my new 2250 has solar wiring on the roof, i see where it goes to in the storage bay, i don't see wiring to battery, anyone have info on adding the charge controller and if the battery wiring is close by?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interested in this question myself; I'm in the same situation looking to take advantage of the preexisting solar port.
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on my solar prep, you are responsible for the wiring from the controller to the batteries. The wire pair you found just goes up to the roof port and is a very welcome option. Just make sure you get + and - correct, lol
    I had to buy more mc4 connectors to make it work as my kit assumed you were running your own wires down from the roof.
    Last edited by Grandesigner; 08-26-2020 at 07:45 AM.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scouser102 View Post
    my new 2250 has solar wiring on the roof, i see where it goes to in the storage bay, i don't see wiring to battery, anyone have info on adding the charge controller and if the battery wiring is close by?
    Nice option up on the roof for you, our 2019 uses an outside port which is directly connected to the batteries. So, I ran a wire down the top from a solar connecter on the roof which goes into my controller, then a separate wire from the solar outside port connector to the controller. Do you have pictures you can send of your hook-up?
    Mark & Lyne
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2017 Audi Q7 Premium Plus with factory tow package - 2 sway controllers
    TT Ready for boondocking with solar installed on roof

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our trailer, the wires are dead ended in the forward storage compartment and on the roof in a little black box. They are not connected to the batteries. So, you install the panels and connect them to the box on the roof, install the charge controller in the storage bay and then connect from the charge controller to the batteries.
    The charge controller location presents a bit of a problem but if you buy a Bluetooth enabled controller you can monitor it on your phone anywhere in the vicinity.
    Should also fuse protect the wires from the panels and decide if you want to connect the panels in series or parallel.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we had a solar panel added to our 303RLS they ran the wires up to the cabinet that backs up to the bathroom and installed the controller on the side facing the entry door. I have since added a Victron Battery monitor in the same area. It requires a little patience and a helper to get the job done.
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Imagine only has the external solar port which I didn't use. My portable setup is a MPPT controller mounted on the back wall near the hookup center in the pass through. The panel wires are run up through the mouse hole where the water & cable connections come in and I have a 2-pin SAE connector to the solar controller. The + side of the controller output is run to the hot side of the disconnect switch. The - side goes to a grounding lug I added and there's a 6ga additional ground I ran through the floor to the grounding bolt on the frame. This ground line does triple duty for the solar controller, a deck mount IOTA converter, and for the relay I added to the water pump to stop the interior lights from flickering when the pump is on.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an old thread but I am sure there are others that will be interested in knowing the answers as well. The solar prep from the roof will terminate in the front storage bay just behind the docking station. There is a black cover that should be labeled "Solar/Inv". If you remove that cover you will find 2 pairs of 10AWG red/black wires. One will be hot and goes directly to your battery. the other pair is the solar prep from the roof.

*NOTE: the hot wires go directly to the battery meaning the battery disconnect will not remove power from these lines.

Solar prep - Roof side:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_4100.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	33146

Solar prep - Termination point inside from pasthru storage compartment:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xnip2021-04-01_20-14-58.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	33147
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should not just connect the hot wires to the batteries unless you want to fry them.
    They really need to be interrupted with a controller.
    The controller will prevent over charging
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    You should not just connect the hot wires to the batteries unless you want to fry them.
    They really need to be interrupted with a controller.
    The controller will prevent over charging
    I agree completely
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast