Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

344GK kitchen slide tipping out at top while making left turn

We have just found out that when making left turns, our kitchen slide tips out at the top. The bottom seems to stay put. These are not gradual turns, so it’s not on all turns. But we have had two different people inform us about this, and we can’t see it happening. So not sure how sharp the turn needs to be to make this problem appear. We have checked the fluid, and it seems full, about 2 inches from top. Don’t seem to have a leak, that is showing up. When it happened the first time, we were exiting an off ramp and making the left turn at stoplight, so not going very fast. Then we pulled onto a side street, and checked the slides, they would not go in anymore. The second time, it was climbing a hill on US-93 south of Hamilton, Mt. Which is a windy road, but doing between 25 & 35. We pulled over and again checked the slides and they wouldn’t go in anymore. It appears that the top part of the slide might be the only thing tipping out. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Harold
    Harold & Susie
    2019 344GK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hpangle View Post
    We have just found out that when making left turns, our kitchen slide tips out at the top. The bottom seems to stay put. These are not gradual turns, so it’s not on all turns. But we have had two different people inform us about this, and we can’t see it happening. So not sure how sharp the turn needs to be to make this problem appear. We have checked the fluid, and it seems full, about 2 inches from top. Don’t seem to have a leak, that is showing up. When it happened the first time, we were exiting an off ramp and making the left turn at stoplight, so not going very fast. Then we pulled onto a side street, and checked the slides, they would not go in anymore. The second time, it was climbing a hill on US-93 south of Hamilton, Mt. Which is a windy road, but doing between 25 & 35. We pulled over and again checked the slides and they wouldn’t go in anymore. It appears that the top part of the slide might be the only thing tipping out. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Harold
    Similar problem discussed here https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post306090
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gene, yes they are similar problems. But the link was to the Reflection line, and mine is a Solitude which has hydraulic slides And I think the Reflection has electric slides.

New info, the wife, watched the slide carefully why we traveled from East Bend recreation area along Mt 43 to Wisdom, Mt. And noticed the slide top rear tipping out. So we stopped at Wisdom and she removed the items from our freezer and the upper cabinet in between microwave and refer. This limited some weight near the top rear of slide. Then she rode in the unit from Wisdom to the rest stop at the junction of US-93 & Mt43. And she indicated that the slide flexed and move some, but only a few inches. Of course I took it very easy on the left turns, 50mph or slower.
    Already have a call into our dealer.
    Last edited by Hpangle; 08-24-2020 at 09:45 PM.
    Harold & Susie
    2019 344GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gene, yes they are similar problems. But the link was to the Reflection line, and mine is a Solitude which has hydraulic slides And I think the Reflection has electric slides.

New info, the wife, watched the slide carefully why we traveled from East Bend recreation area along Mt 43 to Wisdom, Mt. And noticed the slide top rear tipping out. So we stopped at Wisdom and she removed the items from our freezer and the upper cabinet in between microwave and refer. This limited some weight near the top rear of slide. Then she rode in the unit from Wisdom to the rest stop at the junction of US-93 & Mt43. And she indicated that the slide flexed and move some, but only a few inches. Of course I took it very easy on the left turns, 50mph or slower.
    Already have a call into our dealer.
    Keep us posted. I have a 344GK as well and never noticed this issue. Then again, I never thought to check.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Solitude kitchen side slide (with fridge) would also do this on sharp leaning turns. I've inspected the slide carefully and everything is tight and working fine. There's really nothing in the design of the slide to keep the top from tilting out when you turn sharply. I just keep a slide lock bar on that one slide and dont have that problem anymore.
    2017 Solitude 379 FLS
    2017 Ford F350 SRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you place the slide lock? We below post on update on our problem. Harold
    Harold & Susie
    2019 344GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well we received our 5th wheel back from the dealer, and I wanted to provide a follow up/status on this issue. Prior to making the trip from Montana to Idaho, we contacted the dealer and was told to contact Grand Design, which we did. They were very nice and added this problem to our existing list of problems covered under warranty. They also suggested we get a brace for the kitchen slide. Our son-in-law made a brace out of two 2x4’s screwed together and trimmed to fit. And when placed towards the rear of the slide, it seems to work! The downside is that the wife must climb on the island and crawl across the island to reach towards the rear of the slide to place and remove the brace. We tried to place the brace towards the front (close to center) and that doesn’t work as well as towards the rear.
    We dropped the 5th wheel off at the dealer, and made sure this was added to the list of items for repair. They contacted Grand Design (Jerry) and was told to have the customer to use slide locks. We feel this happen due to the refer placement at the rear of the slide, and with a top freezer, which is almost always full, and therefore top heavy. I understand the answer, but an not happy at having the wife do the extra work of crawling over the island every time when the slide needs to come out or go in. We really like the 344GK floor plan, it’s just we wish we knew about this issue prior to purchasing!
    Our process is to put both slides in and then add the brace(s). An another option is to just put the kitchen slide in, by shutting off the valve for the table slide and then putting in the brace(s), opening the valve and putting in the table slide. We still need to crawl up on the island to reach the slide top in order to place the brace(s). We are not sure how long the slide valves will hold up under this additional usage? So this is not our preferred process.
    We are also waiting for a purchased slide lock for the front part of the kitchen slide. It may not be necessary, but we are doing this as a safety measure.
    Harold & Susie
    2019 344GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you place the slide lock? We below post on update on our problem. Harold
    I use this slide lock https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009IJQKD0
    When my slides are retracted in, I can only access the right portion of the slide or I would have to crawl over the island. On the top portion of the slide there is a metal frame and then the decorative wood trim. I place my lock in this top portion of the slide, one side against wall, the other side of the slide lock against the metal portion of the frame. Make sure its on the metal frame or if the slide was to lean, it would just rip off the wood trim. If you can view my floor plan image below, I drew a red line where I place it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floorplanslidelockplacement.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	29906
    2017 Solitude 379 FLS
    2017 Ford F350 SRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saffron, thanks for the info. We have on order that same slide lock. We plan on using it towards the front of our kitchen slide. Our 344GK has the kitchen slide on the curb side. Meaning the island blocks from accessing the rear of the slide. My wife crawls over the island in order to reach the rear part of the kitchen slide.
    Harold & Susie
    2019 344GK