User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DISH Satellite Question

I just recently purchased a DISH satellite bundle (One satellite dish with the one coax output connection and the one Wally receiver). Everything is going well. Well, now I wish I had spent the $200 extra and bought the second receiver and the satellite dish with the two coax outputs. My bad...

Has anyone in the Grand Design world done this.....and then found a work around whereby you can see the DISH channels on a second TV. I'm not going to spend a ton of money on this problem I created. However, I'm willing to spend some.

The DISH setup is in the living room and the second TV is in the bedroom. If it can be done I would like to accomplish this with a wireless set up. I'm not running cables and cutting holes. Thank you.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not a direct reply to your post but may help. We bought a dish package, one antenna, two wally receivers. The set uo worked great for the first TV, very iffy for the second TV. Spent hours & hours trying to get it all to work. Changing which TV was primary, swapping receivers, different coax cables, even got a new antenna. Nothing worked. Got a second antenna (2 antennas) and now it works.
    Be aware-if you do get 2 TVs to work on 1 antenna, the primary TV controls which satellite the antenna is aimed at. Such as, if both TV are watching programs using Sat 61.5 and the primary changes channel to a channel using a different satellite, like Sat 72, the second TV loses its signal. Has to find a channel using Sat 72.
    Sorry for the long winded non-answer to your question but hope the info is useful.
    Pete & Joyce
    2019 Reflection 337 RLS
    2019 F-350 6.7 Diesel Srw 4x4 CC Short Bed
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get an RF modulator to push the same channel that is on the main tv down the existing coax. We do this to watch tv in the bedroom with the Wally RF remote it works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2018 Solitude 377MBS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterwray1 View Post
    I just recently purchased a DISH satellite bundle (One satellite dish with the one coax output connection and the one Wally receiver). Everything is going well. Well, now I wish I had spent the $200 extra and bought the second receiver and the satellite dish with the two coax outputs. My bad...

Has anyone in the Grand Design world done this.....and then found a work around whereby you can see the DISH channels on a second TV. I'm not going to spend a ton of money on this problem I created. However, I'm willing to spend some.

The DISH setup is in the living room and the second TV is in the bedroom. If it can be done I would like to accomplish this with a wireless set up. I'm not running cables and cutting holes. Thank you.
    It's probably not an inexpensive option, but you can add an HDMI splitter and then an HDMI wireless extender (search Amazon). Then you can feed the output of the Wally into the splitter and send one output of the splitter to the main TV directly and another output of the splitter to the HDMI wireless extender.

You don't say why you wish you had a separate receiver, but if it is to watch 2 different shows on 2 different TVs then you must be very selective about which satellite antenna you get. Most (maybe all?) portable antennas can only see one satellite at a time so whichever receiver is connected to the primary output of the antenna sort of dictates which channels the second receiver can see. I took a quick peek at Winegard's site and all the dual antennas I looked at had a footnote: "1 at a time (automatic)" meaning only the primary port of the antenna selected the satellite it will receive from (Dish has 2 or 3 sats each broadcasting different stations/channels).

Hope this helps....
    Last edited by traveldawg; 11-05-2020 at 06:43 AM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    It's probably not an inexpensive option, but you can add an HDMO splitter and then an HDMI wireless extender (search Amazon). Then you can feed the output of the Wally into the splitter and send one output of the splitter to the main TV directly and another output of the splitter to the HDMI wireless extender.

You don't say why you wish you had a separate receiver, but if it is to watch 2 different shows on 2 different TVs then you must be very selective about which satellite antenna you get. Most (maybe all?) portable antennas can only see one satellite at a time so whichever receiver is connected to the primary output of the antenna sort of dictates which channels the second receiver can see. I took a quick peek at Winegard's site and all the dual antennas I looked at had a footnote: "1 at a time (automatic)" meaning only the primary port of the antenna selected the satellite it will receive from (Dish has 2 or 3 sats each broadcasting different stations/channels).

Hope this helps....
    The Wingard Trav'ler can view all 3 of the Dish sattelites at once.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    The Wingard Trav'ler can view all 3 of the Dish sattelites at once.
    True. But I thought the OP was looking for a portable antenna. But the Trav'ler gets mounted to the roof. I had one on my last RV; I removed the dome and installed a Trav'ler - best antenna available IMO. Just chose not to go that route this time.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not inexpensive, but the RF Mogul antenna is the best thing since sliced bread. Install it and voila, 2 receivers work flawlessly and there is no pointing or other setup. I spent multiple $$ and 2 different antennas before realizing the RF Mogul is the real deal simple. We've used it on the road and stopped in 5 different places. The antenna is automatic everytime. One push of a button on the controller and Dish for 2 receivers happens!! If you have wallys the older style LNB is available from RF Mogul, but they are running out of inventory. The Hopper or ?? new receivers use the current LNB with a little different install. The company is super helpful and answered multiple questions in real time; a truly unique service for these days and time. The CEO is the former Windegard president and Chief Engineer. Hope this helps
    2018 Solitude 375RES
    Reese Goosebox
    2020 Ford F-450 Platinum
    Clarkston, MI