User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Andy Brown

Do you use a cb radio?

Hi Everyone.
    I was wondering how many of you use a cb radio when traveling? There seems to be a move on
    to get rv folks to monitor channel 13. I can't tell you how many times I tried to contact someone
    going down the interstate with a tv antenna up,roof vent/ac cover coming off or bicycle falling off.
    with no luck. Seems like a good idea to me . What do you think? Charlie....

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good idea to me. I can see where that would come in handy. Now I've got to buy a CB, dang, one more thing on the list. Lol
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Splitsworld
    Andy,

Most guys i know on the west coast use mobile HAM radios. They have a far better range (25-50 miles mobile) and tons more frequencies available than "Citizens Band" or any of the PTT radios. There are a few problems with this though. Notably.. that a lot of people use them illegally as you are not required to have a license to purchase or own them. You are required to get an FAA Amatuer license to operate it legally. I am licensed and use a mobile HAM in my Jeep. Test is very simple if you know basic electronics. If you have any specific questions let me know.

thanks Split

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely run a CB when traveling. It was nice getting a "traffic/weather report" from the truckers when needed. Also, the conversation can be somewhat amusing at times, as long as there are no kids around. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many RVers monitor 146.52 on simplex
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Between my GPS, TPMS, Dash Camera, Ham Radio, Phone Charger, Kindle and IPOD, I have no more power ports available for a CB! I guess it's time to buy a new truck with more outlets.

Splitsworld
    thanks LC...i will dial that freq in! SPlit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Between my GPS, TPMS, Dash Camera, Ham Radio, Phone Charger, Kindle and IPOD, I have no more power ports available for a CB! I guess it's time to buy a new truck with more outlets.
    I'm just finishing the article about powering radio gear in a truck now, but what we did was run heavier-gauge wires (2) from inside the cab to one of the batteries on our truck. Fuse both sides at the battery, and then put an Anderson Power Pole connector (http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles) on the end in the cab. This can go to one of their distribution units (http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-power-distribution/), and then you run power from your individual items to this. It keeps it all separate from the vehicle systems.

We power a Kenwood TM-D710GA, Uniden 980 SSB CB, and Uniden BCD536HP Scanner with this setup.

As for utility, on the road the CB is quite useful. Just listening on Channel 19 can be very informative - especially when road delays or weather conditions come up - and sometimes you can get into some interesting conversations too. I usually keep 146.52 (national simplex/calling frequency) up on my Ham rig as well as running APRS with Voice Alert.

You do need an FCC Amateur Radio Operator License to transmit using the Ham radio, but there is a lot of additional utility and enjoyment to them. It's a simple 35 question multiple-choice test to get a Technician-class license. With a General-class or Extra-class license, you can even use them to communicate clear around the world - which is how our IC-7000 will be used in our Momentum.
    Last edited by RamGunner; 02-20-2015 at 10:11 AM.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Splitsworld
    Hey Ram,

Any reason in particular your run APRS?

Split

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    APRS is a system for communication via Ham radio that is often used primarily for position tracking. The TM-D710GA that we use has a built-in GPS, and if we receive an APRS packet (listen to 144.39 to hear them) it will show me the bearing and distance to the other station. Things like local repeaters are also often transmitted as APRS objects, and I can see those on my display and tune to them if I want.

I can also transmit my position if I want folks to know when I am. It's often used in Search&Rescue, and our ATV, truck, and soon-to-be Momentum all have this capability.

By running it with Voice Alert (listening for a CTCSS of 100) and transmitting the same with my packets - if someone is in simplex range I'll hear their packet audibly on the radio and can attempt simplex voice communication.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast