Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2930RL Upgrade to H Tires or Upgrade Pin Box

Second post as a new member, I need your great advise to decide which you would select if given a choice. We are ordering a new 2930RL and the wife wants to upgrade to H tires for added safety and I would like to upgrade the pin box for a better ride and less wear and tear on the rig. I know some of you may be thinking, happy wife, happy life, but I honestly believe the G rated Westlake tires are adequate for a couple of years of camping.

The wife always cautions on tire safety as we had a flat tire on a downhill mountain road a few years ago that was really scary to say the least.

Thanks for your help!

Marcel & Donna
    Future Grand Design 2930RL Owner
    2020 Ford F350 6.7L SRW 4x4 Lariat LB

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your rig came/comes with the Westlake load range G tires, there is no need to change them. The Westlake Gs are a good tire. Also, a higher load range tire won't help the "ride" on the coach. If it doesn't come with the MORryde dampened pin box, that's where I'd start.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob,
    Those were my exact feelings as well. Standard pin Box for this model has no cushioning features so we would be exposed to more clunking when we start and stop or drive on rough roads. If the G rated Westlake tires are good tires then I am pretty comfortable replacing the current pin box with a MORyde Pin Box System like RPB72-1621HD-05.

Thanks again for your opinion,
    Marcel

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If your rig came/comes with the Westlake load range G tires, there is no need to change them. The Westlake Gs are a good tire. Also, a higher load range tire won't help the "ride" on the coach. If it doesn't come with the MORryde dampened pin box, that's where I'd start.

Rob
    What Rob said. Although the MORryde box is a lot better, we have one installed, you shouldn't think it will cure all your rough road issues. To really help eliminate most of the rough road issues you would need to go to one of those air ride high dollar pin boxes. Ours works well enough to not have to spend that kind of money, but then again we haven't driven on roads / highways, in the northern winter states that tend to have a lot of bad roads.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MorRyde pinbox

Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    We just bought a 2020 2930rl-R and had them replace the stock pinbox with the MorRyde. It rode very nice coming home, compared to the Reflection without the MorRyde box we traded in. We live in PA and the northern roads have a lot of potholes and patching - we concur with Rob. Will keep our G-rated tires for a year or two then replace them.

Ed and Cindy
    2020 F-450 Lariat, CrewCab 8' bed, diesel
    2020 Solitude S-series 2930rl-R

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your good input. Now I have to decide between a MORryde or an air ride system since we will be traveling across the country including Alaska over the next two years.

Marcel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just recently did a test ride with a 5'vr that had sumo springs installed. The "bucking" was dramatically reduced. That will be my next upgrade.
    2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L w/B&W Companion Hitch
    2021 Solitude-S 2930-RL-R

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would encourage you to consider the Reese Goosebox if you don't already have a 5er hitch. Very comfortable tow. Nonetheless, I agree with others that the H-rated would reduce ride quality. I would seriously consider some immediate suspension upgrades for that long journey - MORryde HD shackle kit and an X-factor brace or three. Happy camping!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    ...To really help eliminate most of the rough road issues you would need to go to one of those air ride high dollar pin boxes.
    ^^^ This!

The MORryde pinbox helps eliminate fore/aft movement but if you really want to smooth out the ride on rough roads (up and down motion), you need an air bag dampened hitch. Of course, if you combine the two, you get a super nice ride!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyellowfin View Post
    Second post as a new member, I need your great advise to decide which you would select if given a choice. We are ordering a new 2930RL and the wife wants to upgrade to H tires for added safety and I would like to upgrade the pin box for a better ride and less wear and tear on the rig. I know some of you may be thinking, happy wife, happy life, but I honestly believe the G rated Westlake tires are adequate for a couple of years of camping.

The wife always cautions on tire safety as we had a flat tire on a downhill mountain road a few years ago that was really scary to say the least.

Thanks for your help!

Marcel & Donna
    Future Grand Design 2930RL Owner
    2020 Ford F350 6.7L SRW 4x4 Lariat LB
    I have the same truck as you (2017 version) and have been towing a Heartland Bighorn and before that a Carriage Cameo, and will soon be taking delivery of a 310GK. All are at the max pin weight for my SRW. I would stay with the G-rated tires (although I don't know anything about Westlake...but swear by Sailun). I think the best thing that I did was to add Timbren springs to the truck. They bolt on and are inexpensive, but dramatically increase the stability of the rig when towing. Best of luck!

Celt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast