User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    The pin wt is calculated by comparing rear axle wts only.
    Just for my own peace of mind since I will be getting a 5th wheel at some point I did a bit of research on this and found this on Etrailer.

Question:
    Have 01 dodge ram 1500 2whl drive extended cab 5spd manual transmission. And my trailer 21ft 5th wheel. Just wondering what the tongue weight was .my truck weight is 6400 lbs the trailer is 5700 lbs .dry weight .

asked by: Brian

Expert Reply:
    The pin weight of a 5th wheel trailer will usually be around 20% of the trailer's gross trailer weight (GTW) rating. The only real way to find the loaded pin weight of your 5th wheel trailer would require access to a commercial scale used to weigh semi-trailers. You will want to attach the 5th wheel trailer to your truck and drive on the scale where only the 4 wheels of the truck are position on the scale. Once you have noted this weight you can then detach the trailer and weigh the truck. The difference between these two weights will be the loaded pin weight of your trailer.

Also found the same thing on a number of other sites confirming it is not the rear axle difference but the weight difference of the entire truck.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, that is incorrect. The pin weight is the difference in total weight (with and without trailer) of the truck.

The balance, or distribution of that pin weight (front vs rear axle) is determined by the location of the king pin or ball relative to the rear axle. If it is directly over the rear axle, all of the pin weight will be on the rear axle and there will be no effect on the front axle weight. If the king pin/ball is in front of the rear axle, some of the pin weight will be carried on the front axle and that same amount will be removed from the rear axle. If the king pin/ball is behind the rear axle some weight will be removed from the front axle and added to the rear.

In all cases you want to make sure you are not exceeding your rear axle capacity (in my opinion).

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Lol

Who told you that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Sorry, that is incorrect. The pin weight is the difference in total weight (with and without trailer) of the truck.

The balance, or distribution of that pin weight (front vs rear axle) is determined by the location of the king pin or ball relative to the rear axle. If it is directly over the rear axle, all of the pin weight will be on the rear axle and there will be no effect on the front axle weight. If the king pin/ball is in front of the rear axle, some of the pin weight will be carried on the front axle and that same amount will be removed from the rear axle. If the king pin/ball is behind the rear axle some weight will be removed from the front axle and added to the rear.

In all cases you want to make sure you are not exceeding your rear axle capacity (in my opinion).

Chris
    Exactly (and obviously) correct!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input, since this post I have added Timbren rear suspension kit. It did take a lot of squat out of the rear. Before adding them it pulled fine, since the addition, the ride does feel better.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jksmith1990 View Post
    Thanks for your input, since this post I have added Timbren rear suspension kit.
    It did take a lot of squat out of the rear. Before adding them it pulled fine, since the addition, the ride does feel better.
    Installing Timbrens fixed all my issues!

I liked them so much, I did an in-depth writeup on our travel blog:

https://boondockingadventures.com/in...ey-on-airbags/

Here's a link to the exact set of Timbrens we installed (for the 2011-2016 Superduty):

https://amzn.to/2RWxSzr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12