Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Understanding Pin weight???

Hello Everyone,
    I know this topic has been beaten into the ground and resurrected many times. I am trying to get a handle on the pin weight . I have a 2020 Chevy 2500HD High Country 4wd V8 Duramax. Yellow sticker reads as follows:
    GVWR - 11350
    GCWR - 27500
    FGAWR - 6000
    RGAWR- 6600
    Curb - 8281
    Max Payload - 3069
    TRLWR - 18500
    Two scale weights, fist truck with myself, wife ,dog, full tank gas 3/4 DEF all other fluids around 90%
    Steer 5040
    Drive 3600
    Gross 8640
    Next, truck, trailer (2 propane (1)full (2) 3/4 full, all tanks empty, loaded for a week)
    Steer 4840
    Drive 6540
    Trailer 10840
    Total gross 22220
    By my calculation I come up with a pin weight of 2740?? It also shows I am 30#'s over the GVWR. What do ya'll see??
    Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    Jim

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pin weight is actually pretty simple Jim.
    1- Weight your truck without the trailer.
    2- Weight your truck again with the trailer attached.

Compare the rear axle weights. The difference is your pin weight. The only caveat is you need to have the same things in the truck both times. In other words, if your wife and dog were in the truck when it was weighed without the trailer, they need to be in the truck with the trailer attached.

The rear axle weight of your truck without the trailer was 3,600. The rear axle weight of your truck with the trailer was 6,540. The difference is 2,940. That is your pin weight.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the response, the scale weights were done back to back, with no change in truck occupancy. I was basing my estimate on GWT 22220 - TRLWT-10840 - GTRKWT-8640 = 2740, that's how I've seen folks determine pin weight. I see and understand what you're saying, makes sense

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jksmith1990 View Post
    Thank you for the response, the scale weights were done back to back, with no change in truck occupancy. I was basing my estimate on GWT 22220 - TRLWT-10840 - GTRKWT-8640 = 2740, that's how I've seen folks determine pin weight. I see and understand what you're saying, makes sense
    Keep in mind that 200lbs came off the front. That is why the numbers don't add up exactly right. It's load and balance. Your trailer is adding 2740lbs to your truck but the rear has increased by 2940lbs because it includes the 200lbs from the front. If your truck is not level, a bit higher in front, adding air bags and leveling the combination will help put some of that weight back to the front and possibly some back to the trailer also. Depending on your hitch setup, you may be able to move it forward just a notch to help with the balance (assuming a 5th wheel). Another factor in the equation, look at the tire ratings. If they are the stock tires, the RAWR reflects the tire ratings. Yours is very close. You could gain some cushion there with higher rated tires. The axle itself is rated much higher. You are still 5K+lbs under GCWR so you may be able to distribute the weight a bit and be OK. The better the balance, the better the pull.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response, it is a 5er using an Andersen hitch. I guess my wife & I need to put on a few more LBS….LOL . I've been looking at Airbags and also Timbren. I will also see look at moving stuff around. You've been a big help….thanks

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2710 pin weight puts you at 25%, pretty much what it should be.

You are close the RAWR.

You are at 2740, I would call it good.

How does it tow?
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    2710 pin weight puts you at 25%, pretty much what it should be.

You are close the RAWR.

You are at 2740, I would call it good.

How does it tow?
    WRONG!!! As mentioned above his pin wt is 2940, the 200 lbs off the front has nothing to do with it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    WRONG!!! As mentioned above his pin wt is 2940, the 200 lbs off the front has nothing to do with it.
    Sorry but never had a 5th wheel so maybe I am missing something. If his total truck weight before hooking up is 8640 lbs and truck weight after just connecting the 5th wheel is 11380 lbs then the pin weight is 2740 lbs because that is the increase in truck weight by adding the pin weight. This is the same way of determining the tongue weight of a bumper pull. Loaded truck weight minus unloaded truck weight without the WDH. Seems like simple math to me unless I am missing something here that complicates the math.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Sorry but never had a 5th wheel so maybe I am missing something. If his total truck weight before hooking up is 8640 lbs and truck weight after just connecting the 5th wheel is 11380 lbs then the pin weight is 2740 lbs because that is the increase in truck weight by adding the pin weight. This is the same way of determining the tongue weight of a bumper pull. Loaded truck weight minus unloaded truck weight without the WDH. Seems like simple math to me unless I am missing something here that complicates the math.

Rob
    The pin wt is calculated by comparing rear axle wts only.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Loaded truck weight minus unloaded truck weight without the WDH. Seems like simple math to me unless I am missing something here that complicates the math.

Rob
    You are correct. I did the same thing. I never accounted for weight loss off the front as that is irrelevant as related to this. Not sure where that came from. As you said, simple math.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast