User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jthamilton

New 323bhs electric water heater not working

It seems that we may have little gremlin when it comes to electric water heater. I'm pretty certain that first night it worked well. Then after traveling a few hundred miles and we settled in Shoshone, Calif. we didn't have hot water and I used the gas to heat it. We went out all day yesterday so I tried the electric again and we had somewhat decent hot water when we got home. However I'm not sure if this was leftover from using the gas the night before (which I doubt). This morning we had to turn gas on again.

We have checked breakers and today I will dig a little deeper but does anyone have any other ideas for checking for problems?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I'm a little confused by your description. You said it worked the first night, I'm assuming when you were plugged in to shore power, then there was no hot water when you arrived you didn't have any hot water. With no intent to insult you but you are aware that the electric WH does not work on 12v? So, when you were driving you would have had to have it on gas or it would likely cool down. I do not travel with my hot water heater on. I find the electric in ours actually works pretty quickly but if we need hot water soon after we arrive I always turn on gas for a short while to get it hot then switch to electric. Also, you have a couple kids right? If they're anything like ours was, you will probably never keep up with just electric
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Jthamilton
    Yes, sorry should have made myself little more clear. After the first night I thought I had electric switch on, the wife says she is sure we had gas switch on. It seems ( I hate to admit) im wrong and she is right!

We do wait until we're settled before starting things like that. The confusing thing is yesterday when I left electric on again. I'm not sure how efficient the tank itself is but holding a decent hot temp all day seems unlikely. Is it possible to check power to the heating strips on the tank itself?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I see. I don't know about checking the heat strips. I haven't looked in the water heater manual but I'm sure you've already thought of that. Sorry.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had intermittent problems with our water heater when it was new. Working with our dealer over the phone, it came down to a diagnosis of "bad circuit board". Towed the rig 50 miles back to the dealer and the technician put in a new circuit board (in about 2 minutes). Then said, I want to try something . . . and put the old circuit board back in. Everything worked and has been working ever since. Seems that (like most electrical problems) it was the connectors. So, you might try unplugging and reconnecting the various easily accessible electrical connections behind the exterior access panel.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Jthamilton
    Good to know! We just realized for the fridge to run off gas the battery shut off must be turned on, I dont recall my Lance needing this but not really sure.

For rather dumb question does the battery shut off need to be on for the electric to be functional to the water heater? I typically keep it turned off when plugged into shore power. Is there something im missing here?

We will definitely call factory when able but all we have is intermittent email where we're located.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may also want to double-check that the WH is actually plugged into a 120V outlet. On ours, you could see the connection when the center drawers in the hutch were removed.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Jthamilton
    Another question about power. We haven't been able to plug into the 50 amp since we purchased it. My understanding is the only drawback to the 30 amp plug is not being able to run a second AC which we don't have anyway.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jthamilton - - "My understanding is the only drawback to the 30 amp plug is not being able to run a second AC which we don't have anyway." - - - not exactly true. If you're limited to 30 amps then you're going to probably find amperage management will come into your lifestyle, ie: A/C, with microwave going, coffee pot just turned on, overhead lights, TV on, and a hair dryer in the bathroom going will more than likely push the system over 30 amps. I learned how to function without everything operating on electricity at the same time in previous units. If I needed hot water in the morning while the coffee pot was going and the TV was on with someone drying their hair; then it was simple enough to switch the water heater to gas.

When you need to change the combination of what's on when, you'll know it. The main breaker will trip, you reset it, and adjust what is on/off.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Jthamilton
    Good point! I simply never thought of it that way. However we have not tripped a breaker yet. I routinely would trip something with old trailer when we run too many items. We're going out shortly and I'm going to shut everything off after taking shower so as to rid ourselves of some hot water and run only the water heater along with the fridge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast