User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installed Jack-It Bike rack on 2500RL

I finally got around to installing the Jack-It Bike rack on our 2500RL, and it seems to work well (1 trip so far, not a lot of data points).

I had an issue with not having sufficient slack in the power cable to actually pull the tongue jack out. In fact, When I first loosened it, I forgot all about the power cable and started to pull it up until I was reminded the wire was there with an abrupt jerk. Looking at the wire, I could see the strain-relief had popped out of the jack housing. So I decided to try to operate it and make sure everything was still good... it did nothing.

So I then decide I'm going to try to take the housing off while the thing is still on the tongue and see if I managed to jerk the power wire free. Getting into the housing is not very easy... I find myself looking down at the tongue and admiring the paint on both that and the jack mount - nice thick finish. Oh Duh! Screwed one of the bolts back in, and voila the jack works again. How dumb can I be? Anyhow, after wasting 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get the casing open, I simply put everything back together, clipped the power cable (I could have unscrewed it from the frame and popped a few of the retaining straps, but I just cut it and crimped a waterproof butt connector when done) and the rack was installed 5 minutes later.

The bike rack works fine, just remember that thick layers of paint do not conduct electricity very well!
    2020 imagine 2500rl; 2021 F250 Tremor 7.3
    youtube: @bobanddangsjourney

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we purchase a 2670MK in June and have been pondering the purchase and install of a Jack-it rack. I have seen a couple on the road however never had the chance to actually visit with owner of one in use. We have leaving Sept 9th on a 10 day and want to take our bikes and a kayak! Kayak has a rack on the TV so my option for bikes is limited.
    You mentioned clipping the power cables and not really a fan of that. Hoping I can trace the wire back and disconnect. I'll have to look into that this weekend when I am by the camper. My wife is not happy with all the movement inside when we move around so just purchased strong arms and will install those this weekend.

Just wanted to make a comment on the jack it and if anyone else has had experience with them please jump in.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would be no problem to trace the power cable. I was just being lazy. I didn't want to clip the retaining straps attached to the frame. On my tt the wire attached to (a fuse I think) right under where the a frame goes under the trailer.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been looking at buying the Jack-It rack. It looks like a nice rack. My only concern is clearance on tight turns. Meaning I'm worried that the bikes (only 2) might hit the back of my pickup truck (which has a Leer cap on it) when I'm making a sharp turns or backing in to a space. Has this been an issue?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Question that I have not advice on. I did see in one of the treads on the Jack it that they had not problem with toppers. The design of the bikes cantilevered back should allow clearance but in extreme (jack knife) situations.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I've been looking at buying the Jack-It rack. It looks like a nice rack. My only concern is clearance on tight turns. Meaning I'm worried that the bikes (only 2) might hit the back of my pickup truck (which has a Leer cap on it) when I'm making a sharp turns or backing in to a space. Has this been an issue?
    I have a cap on my f150 and it has no problem with clearance on turns. I was concerned as well but once I mounted the bikes I realized it was a non-issue.
    2020 imagine 2500rl; 2021 F250 Tremor 7.3
    youtube: @bobanddangsjourney