Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing locks

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changing locks

I am looking at adding an RV keyless lock. Reviews seem to be pretty decent with some people having long term durability issues. I never realized that most campers are pretty much keyed the same. I was debating on whether to switch out the storage compartment locks also. Has anyone tried this?

Here is a link to one of the most suggested manufacturers on this forum

http://https://www.rvlock.com/collections/fifth-wheels-travel-trailers

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have used the RVLock 4.0 for going on five years without any issues. I replace the keypad membrane about a year ago due to fading, but the lock has been very reliable. Your link above goes to a dead page... here's another one:

https://www.rvlock.com/collections/a...keypad-for-rvs

If you search the forum, you'll find a number of posts on this topic.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We have used the RVLock 4.0 for going on five years without any issues. I replace the keypad membrane about a year ago due to fading, but the lock has been very reliable. Your link above goes to a dead page... here's another one:

https://www.rvlock.com/collections/a...keypad-for-rvs

If you search the forum, you'll find a number of posts on this topic.

Rob
    Sorry about the link, but that is the lock. I looked it up on Amazon and it seems that recent reviews of this lock are not as good. I figured maybe they have either switched where they are manufactured or they changed the design or used cheaper parts. I think I will give it a try anyway.

Looks like only a few people on the forum have swapped out the slam hatch locks (my second question). Almost all these campers are made in Indiana where I live. My dealer told me that about 90% of the locks are all keyed the same which I never realized. The compartment lock on my 2021 303 RLS looks like the same type of lock on my previous 2013 Forest River fifth wheel, so it wouldn’t surprise me. I have never had anything stolen at a campground since most campers tend to look out for one another so this is more of an issue while on the road. A thief is more likely to use a crowbar and not a camper key.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My solution... Don't lock it. I leave mine unlocked at my seasonal site, the key is in the golf cart, the keys never leave my cars at home/work/public parking lots and in 50 years I've never experienced theft.

I can't imagine that spending $1000 on door locks and slam locks is worth protecting your mundane RV junk stored in the camper. If you want to steal my hoses or chairs... go for it. You obviously need them more than me. Campgrounds aren't exactly full of welfare bums who are stealing for crack rock cash.....
    2020.5 Reflection 311BHS Dual AC, 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Level 2, 3.73 / 392 Hemi 14,404.34 lb towing and 3,004.34 payload, 2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB CC/LB, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2014 Wrangler Willys Edition, 2019 Iron Bull 14K 22' Equipment Trailer, 2019 Quality Trailers 7K 18' Utility Trailer

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Radcolt View Post
    Sorry about the link, but that is the lock. I looked it up on Amazon and it seems that recent reviews of this lock are not as good. I figured maybe they have either switched where they are manufactured or they changed the design or used cheaper parts. I think I will give it a try anyway.

Looks like only a few people on the forum have swapped out the slam hatch locks (my second question). Almost all these campers are made in Indiana where I live. My dealer told me that about 90% of the locks are all keyed the same which I never realized. The compartment lock on my 2021 303 RLS looks like the same type of lock on my previous 2013 Forest River fifth wheel, so it wouldn’t surprise me. I have never had anything stolen at a campground since most campers tend to look out for one another so this is more of an issue while on the road. A thief is more likely to use a crowbar and not a camper key.
    You might consider waiting until Labor Day. We got ours at 40% off on a holiday sale - they do it all the time.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced the locks on the baggage doors so that I only have one key, not 3 different ones. . . . . rvlocksandmore. . . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theclarks View Post
    I replaced the locks on the baggage doors so that I only have one key, not 3 different ones. . . . . rvlocksandmore. . . . .
    Plus two on One Key to Open Them All...rvlocksandmore.
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2X on rvlocksnadmore had them key all the locks I bought to my front door key. I hope to change out locks on the baggage doors this week.
    John & Joan
    w/Dakota & Cooper
    Tidewater VA
    2016 303 RLS (#7608) Build 3/16
    Dodge 2004.5 S/B
    B & W Companion Slider Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for rvlocksandmore. I went from 3 keys to a keyed-alike setup with a secure key code for around 80 bucks. It took me 30-40 minutes to replace 2 door latches, 2 slam latches and 2 cam locks.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theclarks View Post
    I did the same.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast