Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tank heating without LP

Question: In the Reflection TT, which I believe has forced air tank heating, is there a way to heat the tank area without using the furnace? I am purchasing a 313RLTS and plan on heating it whenever possible with shore power electric and stand-up heaters. Thanks!
    Thebohs
    Fort Worth, TX
    Grand Design 313RLTS
    VIN: 573TR3724F3301981

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the Reflection 5th wheels, the only tank heating is furnace forced air . . . I suspect Reflection TT will be the same.

Addendum to my original post above . . .
    What is your fixed location vs travelling plan ?
    There are lots of ways to insulate and/or heat the underbody with electric heaters.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what your reason is for not wanting to run the furnace? If you want to be sure that your plumbing and tanks dont freeze you need to run your furnace a little. In my experience your water lines will freeze before anything else, I use electric heaters as well but only as a supplement to the furnace. It is very important to run your furnace at night when you arent running water . I always leave mine about 62 at night.
    Reflection 337
    2012 F-250 26,000 miles
    2015 F-250 46,000 miles

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by concreteman View Post
    I wonder what your reason is for not wanting to run the furnace? If you want to be sure that your plumbing and tanks dont freeze you need to run your furnace a little. In my experience your water lines will freeze before anything else, I use electric heaters as well but only as a supplement to the furnace. It is very important to run your furnace at night when you arent running water . I always leave mine about 62 at night.
    Well, I use a couple of ceramic oscillating heaters to heat the living area and I was trying to find a way to use the campground's free electric vs. the propane to protect the tanks. But I suppose I could just put the electric heaters on (for example) 60 and the furnace on 65. That way the furnace comes on far less often, but enough to heat the basement.
    Thebohs
    Fort Worth, TX
    Grand Design 313RLTS
    VIN: 573TR3724F3301981

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Thebohs,

I thought it might be the free electric vs the extra cost propane. Been there
    An electric heater in the basement might accomplish heating the tanks.
    You might have to remove the wall between the storage area and the tanks etc.
    As near as I can tell, there is no ducting specifically directed at heating the tanks.
    They are "heated" by the one outlet in the storage area and waste heat from the furnace ducts.
    A space heater in this area would accomplish the same thing.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thebohs,
    I understand the cost of propane vs free electric. I was just giving you my experience. I also use a ceramic heater in the bedroom at night and do just what you suggested. I stay in my camper when working out of town and have been in it at temps below zero. Somtimes it takes a little thinking outside the box. I have used a heater in the storage compartment directed towards where all of your plumbing connections are. I also keep a wireless thermometer in the storage bay so I can see how cold it is getting. Since I now have a Grand Design RV I put the thermometer inside the docking station to monitor temps in there.
    Reflection 337
    2012 F-250 26,000 miles
    2015 F-250 46,000 miles