User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never think about using it. If one reads the manual every other page reminds you to ensure you pack the very large bearing in that turning pin box. Not sure what that would cost, but went with an Anderson hitch and will never use the turning pin box.. I had a F250 short bed when I first got the 260RD, but even then had no plans to use their turning pin box.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an Andersen hitch, therefore I don't need it. Besides that mine started squeaking so I locked it down.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the revolution hitch on my Jayco that I traded in for my Solitude and would have transfered it to Solitude if the bolt pattern would have matched up. I liked it because the trailer tracked better and it was easier to back into my storage pad. I have a short bed truck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Began this season towing our 2020 295RL with a 2019 Chevy 2500HD gasser, shortbed. Used the "Turning Point" early on and I was very impressed with the ability to go 90 degrees with the 6 1/2 footer. Never threatened the cab. But... found the wedge to be an uncomfortable setup. Once torqued the bolts stayed tight, but could not find a wedge to fit my hitch and the pin would continuously "slap" back and forth in the hitch around sharp curves like highway exits. Finally gave up on the wedge and locked out the pinbox as the few times I needed the 90 degrees didn't offset the hitch slop. I have since replaced the truck with a new 2019 Ford F250 Lariat Power Stroke diesel, 8 foot bed. So the hitch will stay locked out. Also... it may have already been stated in this thread, but just in case, there is necessary yearly maintenance on the "Turning Point" box that requires dropping it off the the trailer and repacking the bearing if you're going to use the feature. It's not difficult, but it's not a one man job given the weight of the inbox. I can only imagine the cost of having a dealer do it. So do your research and be aware.
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB - 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Platinum CrewMax 4x4 shortbed twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.4-liter V-6

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turning Point Pin Box and Don't Use it?

Quote Originally Posted by terryriddle View Post
    I would never think about using it. If one reads the manual every other page reminds you to ensure you pack the very large bearing in that turning pin box. Not sure what that would cost, but went with an Anderson hitch and will never use the turning pin box.. I had a F250 short bed when I first got the 260RD, but even then had no plans to use their turning pin box.
    I am currently looking at a 295RL. I have a 2019 F-250 CCSB... with a B&W turnover ball installed. I was wondering about the setup you described. Keeping the turning point pin box locked and using the Andersen Ultimate Hitch. Is that what you are using?

The turning point pin box is not recommended with the b&w companion hitch unless it’s connected to a factory puck system.

If so, are you happy with the design and maneuvering?

I’m also considering a 303, but can’t really find one at a decent price.

Thanks for your insight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SabreDriver; 09-12-2020 at 05:26 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreDriver View Post
    I am currently looking at a 295RL. I have a 2019 F-250 CCSB... with a B&W turnover ball installed. I was wondering about the setup you described. Keeping the turning point pin box locked and using the Andersen Ultimate Hitch. Is that what you are using?

The turning point pin box is not recommended with the b&w companion hitch unless it’s connected to a factory puck system.

If so, are you happy with the design and maneuvering?

I’m also considering a 303, but can’t really find one at a decent price.

Thanks for your insight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    When I had the F250 short bed 4x4 I was using the Anderson hitch for my Reflection 150 260RD fifth wheel and it cleared the cab with this hitch. I never used the turning pin box due to logic of wear and seeing others that had issues and the annual maintenance cost to keep it safe. Not worth it. I found my F250 short bed GVW would not support the 260RD..moved to a F350.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a 260RD towing with a short box F-250, but went with the B&W Patriot slider hitch so we could keep the Turning Point pin box locked. Switching the TP between stationary and pivot seemed too cumbersome to be practical for "need it now" maneuvers.

Our actual experience with this combo was limited to about 20 different campsites, but even with the short box pickup we never even needed to use the slide feature of the hitch... good to know it was available, but really nice not to need it.
    Last edited by TS_Breezes; 09-12-2020 at 07:46 PM.
    2020 F-450 Lariat, CrewCab 8' bed, diesel
    2020 Solitude S-series 2930rl-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first "personalization" task was to convert the Turning Point to a rear pivot position when I got the 295RL home since I have a short bed.
    I can easily turn 90 degrees with out worry now.

I use the Curt A20 Hitch, so I had to buy an aftermarket wedge after grinding down the original wedge to fit failed.
    After the 2019 season was over I dropped the pin box to lube the bearing.
    I was surprised to see that the shaft and bearing was every bit as "beefy" as the kingpin and well lubricated from the factory.
    There is also a lube plate (teflon/nylon) mounted in there so no need to worry about lubrication for that.
    I feel very comfortable driving down the road with the Turning Point in the rear pivot configuration after about 2,700 miles so far.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TS_Breezes View Post
    We had a 260RD towing with a short box F-250, but went with the B&W Patriot slider hitch so we could keep the Turning Point pin box locked. Switching the TP between stationary and pivot seemed too cumbersome to be practical for "need it now" maneuvers.

Our actual experience with this combo was limited to about 20 different campsites, but even with the short box pickup we never even needed to use the slide feature of the hitch... good to know it was available, but really nice not to need it.
    Just wondering, why would you need to switch it back and forth between locked (stationary) and unlocked (pivoting)? I think most leave it in one mode or the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used it to take delivery of my 5er and immediately put it back to original when I got home. I couldn’t stand the way the trailer towed. I started to research what I would need to do to keep it working properly. The maintenance instructions alone were enough for me to stop using it.
    Steve and Michelle
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 4WD

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast