User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Batteries

Splitsworld

Batteries

All,

I am a huge fan of 6v batteries and run them in my TH now. Perfect for boondocking and will never go back to 12v again. My 385th arrives in a day or two so other than a PDI and hanging out a tad in it i have little experience with it. I plan to run 4x 6v trojans in the front. I noticed ample room on both sides of the onan but i am wondering about the bottom floor panel? Trojan 6v are about 63lbs each and putting 4 in there is going to be heavy.

Anyone running 4 in the compartment with any issues? sagging? is the floor panel strong enough to hold over 200lbs of battery?

thanks for your time. Split

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just curious, what's the advantage of using two 6v's rather than typical 12v?

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Although 6V and 12V battery combinations have roughly the same amp hour capability, the 6V batteries typically have a much longer life span. On average, they have 60% thicker plates than your usual group 27 deep cycle marine/RV battery.

I also prefer AGM batteries to lead acid batteries. Lead acid batteries require periodic maintenance (adding water), and must be vented to keep explosive hydrogen gas from forming. AGM batteries are truly maintenance free, and do not need ventilation. However, AGM batteries are more expensive.

Splitsworld
    i won't get into the "technical" jargon etc but i'll sum it up....thicker/longer plates meant to hold more charge for longer periods of time. More capacity for more charge cycles as well which lends itself to longer battery life (supposedly) and fuller charges. AGM are nice if you want to spend extra money and def have advantages but i don't mind checking/equalizing my batteries 2 or 3 times a year. Gives me a good idea of whats happening with my charging system. Haven't seen a 6 or 12v battery explode yet so i'll keep my fingers crossed. And lucky for us, GD vents the battery compartment!

So no input on the front compartments? Well i ordered my trojans so suppose i'll rig it up!
    Last edited by Splitsworld; 02-19-2015 at 01:17 PM.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think the front compartment on your 385 is very similar to my Reflection. I have two 6V batts, two 35# solar panels, and two heavy fishing boxes in mine. I don't see any issues at all.

Splitsworld
    ok thanks Jim! Hows the weather down south there? Still cooking along this winter up here in PHX! You going to the RV rally this month?

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just got off the roof of the fiver after doing a major cleaning and conditioning of the rubber roof. Even though I was only wearing shorts and a tee shirt, it was almost too warm. I had to come inside and turn on the AC to cool down.

We are going to come up for a one day visit at the rally. Probably on Friday. I'll PM you with my phone number and maybe we could introduce ourselves. We are planning a 2-3 day visit to Lake Pleasant in early March so we can pick up our new puppy in Wittman.

Splitsworld
    ok sounds good. I am trying to get the momentum to pleasant for test run this weekend but i have been pretty busy.