Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleInFL View Post
    https://www.tru-bal.com/c-1911-fas.html

Those worked better than the Centramatics on my truck ( F450). The issue is the inner tire lining up with the outer tire. I also put them on the front as well.

I put on the Tru balance Shims -- I guess you could call them that, got a good road force balance from the dealer, and the truck is as smooth as any other. Could help with your cupping too. Id call to be sure you get the right parts. Really nice people.
    I'm curious if you can give some more detail. It looks like the ones that go over the stud remain on the stud, so instead of 10 lug nuts you're now using 7? Their website keeps making reference to brake drums on the steering axle, I don't know about your a F450 but mine has disk brakes. If you could take some photos so we could see what we need to be looking at, that would be great.
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I'm curious if you can give some more detail. It looks like the ones that go over the stud remain on the stud, so instead of 10 lug nuts you're now using 7? Their website keeps making reference to brake drums on the steering axle, I don't know about your a F450 but mine has disk brakes. If you could take some photos so we could see what we need to be looking at, that would be great.
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Check out the install videos for each "Solution". I think Dale has Solution C on his truck and if you scroll down that page there are notes that indicate they work with disc brakes.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No issues with my HD3's, but only 12K thus far and currently a much lighter load. The Ford shocks are garbage. I'll be replacing my likely with Bilstein's somewhere around 20K mi.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    You should also do a full tire rotation since the truck will be in the shop.

I put these on my rear tires.

Crossfire Dual Tire Pressure Equalization System

KEN
    I just ordered the crossfire for my F450. I read some people have experienced some rear tire shake at highway speed‘s because of the weight of the crossfire. Have you noticed any issues like that? Did you have to do any type of modification or did your center cap fit right over the bracket?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjlebsa View Post
    I just ordered the crossfire for my F450. I read some people have experienced some rear tire shake at highway speed‘s because of the weight of the crossfire. Have you noticed any issues like that? Did you have to do any type of modification or did your center cap fit right over the bracket?

Thanks

I did have to modify the center cap to get the cap to fit. Dremel did great. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjlebsa View Post

Thanks

I run Crossfires on my RAM. They can indeed cause a shimmy as the valve section is of appreciable weight. You must mount it as near to the axle centerline as you can! Otherwise, the greater the eccentricity, the greater the vibration you will experience. The way it is mounted in your picture is a no-go for a 350/450 dually if you want any sort of smooth ride! The other thing you can do is run a set of Centramatics. I have been running them even before Crossfires were introduced because of the very nature of DRWs to have poor ride quality. They are fantastic, and will balance out any eccentricity left.
    Last edited by geotex1; 10-28-2020 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Cleaned up the typos!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I run Crossfires on my RAM. They can indeed cause a shimmy as the valve section is of appreciable weight. You must must it as near to the axle centerline as you can! Otherwise, the great the eccentricity, the greater the vibration you will experience. The way it is mounted in your picture is a no-go for a 350/450 dually if you want any sort of smooth ride! The other thing you can do is run a set of Centramatics. I have been running them even before Crossfires were introduced because of the very nature of DRWs to have poor ride quality. They are fantastic, and will balance out any eccentricity left.
    I do get a shimy at 75 or 80. How should they be mounted Rob and tell us more about the Centramatics. Thanks, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I do get a shimy at 75 or 80. How should they be mounted Rob and tell us more about the Centramatics. Thanks, KEN
    Here is how I have had mine on my RAM for 66K:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201028_140527.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	30444

I made very simple angle brackets by cutting down and shaping a piece of 3/16" thick angle and drilling it to mount to the valve and to a hub bolt when I initially installed them. Oh, fear not, the modified lug cover is not the uber expensive OEM Laramie Longhorm covers but cheap aftermarket copies.

Truth be told, I actually fabricated improved brackets that will better center the valve, but I have not had time to get them over for powdercoat! When I do, I'll also paint the hubs with POR-15.

Centramatics have been around a long time as an alternative to balancing beads. I have some other posts here about them, but long story short they balance via counterbalancing at speed. For duals, they go between the inner and outer wheels. They really make a big difference, especially if you have chunky, aggressive tread tires like my Nittos. I'll also try to grab a picture of how evenly my duals wear with the Crossfires and Centramatics! Now if only there was a magic cure for feathering of steer tires with a long wheelbase dually, I'd be really thrilled! Lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I run Crossfires on my RAM. They can indeed cause a shimmy as the valve section is of appreciable weight. You must must it as near to the axle centerline as you can! Otherwise, the great the eccentricity, the greater the vibration you will experience. The way it is mounted in your picture is a no-go for a 350/450 dually if you want any sort of smooth ride! The other thing you can do is run a set of Centramatics. I have been running them even before Crossfires were introduced because of the very nature of DRWs to have poor ride quality. They are fantastic, and will balance out any eccentricity left.
    Thanks. I ordered centramatic‘s today and will put those on. I’m planning on mounting the crossfire on the Lugnuts and then notching out the center hub cover to fit over the crossfire bracket. Hopefully the centramatics will balance everything out and I won’t notice anything negative.

Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's how my duals wear:

Name:	20201028_160105.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	30445

Name:	20201028_160114.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	30446

Always get a lot of questions about the Crossfires in the campgrounds too!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast