User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I run Crossfires on my RAM. They can indeed cause a shimmy as the valve section is of appreciable weight. You must mount it as near to the axle centerline as you can! Otherwise, the greater the eccentricity, the greater the vibration you will experience. The way it is mounted in your picture is a no-go for a 350/450 dually if you want any sort of smooth ride! The other thing you can do is run a set of Centramatics. I have been running them even before Crossfires were introduced because of the very nature of DRWs to have poor ride quality. They are fantastic, and will balance out any eccentricity left.
    I too ordered the Centramatic Wheel Balancers. Smooth and balanced works for me.
    Maybe I'll fly on the freeway when not towing. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I have increasingly grown concerned about the uneven tire wear on my 2019 F450 with Continental 19.5" HD3 tires. My Momentum weighs in right around 20k. The blocks on the HD3' are starting to get "edges" on some of them. Running your hand over the tire you easily feel the difference in block wear. Formerly I would have said these tires were "cupping". But not sure that is the case. Treadwear is still really good, lots of tread left.

I stopped by a tire dealer today and the lad told me I had shock issues. Ok, 2019 with only 30k and the shocks are shot? Hmmm! Ok, why are the rear tires cupping also?

I am going to swing by a Ford dealership next week and ask them. I am not sure a normal retail ship will know about the F450 and heavy 5th wheel towing. Then add in the individual characteristics of the HD3 tire, it's an odd duck for sure.

Anyone else have issues with the tires on their F450?
    Sir, you should have the Ceramic Balancing Rings installed in-between the dual rear-wheels.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Install the Ceramic Balancing Rings on your Dually (F450). And birds will sing, the skys will be blue, all will be right again in your life.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have increasingly grown concerned about the uneven tire wear on my 2019 F450 with Continental 19.5" HD3 tires. My Momentum weighs in right around 20k. The blocks on the HD3' are starting to get "edges" on some of them. Running your hand over the tire you easily feel the difference in block wear. Formerly I would have said these tires were "cupping". But not sure that is the case. Treadwear is still really good, lots of tread left.

I stopped by a tire dealer today and the lad told me I had shock issues. Ok, 2019 with only 30k and the shocks are shot? Hmmm! Ok, why are the rear tires cupping also?

I am going to swing by a Ford dealership next week and ask them. I am not sure a normal retail ship will know about the F450 and heavy 5th wheel towing. Then add in the individual characteristics of the HD3 tire, it's an odd duck for sure.

Anyone else have issues with the tires on their F450?
    Every F-450 I have ever heard of, including mine, has this problem. My Stock continentals not only cupped but they started throwing the lugs off at about 5,000 miles. I've tried Yokohama and now Coopers all with the same cupping. I do have about 30,000 miles on the coopers now and there almost half way worn down. I balance the wheels and run ceramic balancers on all 4 corners. The only way I found to get them to last is buy doing a 6 tire rotation about every 5-7000 miles.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Every F-450 I have ever heard of, including mine, ... I've tried Yokohama and now Coopers all with the same cupping. k
    It's always fun to learn about a new piece of equipment, the good, the bad, and the tires. Had I known ahead of time about the F450 tire wear issue I would have insisted on tire rotation. That seems to the root of my problem. I had a tire replacement plan, but the odd wear and an errant screw in the shoulder of a tire has blown that plan out of the water, time to revise.

So it's good to know about the Yohohama and Cooper tires. I was kind of leaning toward the Goodyear G622 or the Hankook H107, extreme snow tire. Unrepairable flat required a new Continental Hybrid HD3 and to keep things congruent I pulled the new Hybrid HD3 off the spare and put the 2 new tires on the front, used tire on the spare. Wear on the duallies was not as much as wear on the front. New plan it run this until cupped tires smooths out and rotate, then when the first tires reach wear bars go for all new. Expensive plan, but a lot rides on my truck, like my whole life, so I will spend an extra buck to keep things optimal.

I figure I have 6-9 months before I have to do something with the tires. I have found the 19.5's and F450 to be a bit of odd duck. There aren't many options for 19.5 tires, and the F450 is too big and heavy for conventional tire stores and too small for heavy duty truck repair facilities, but, you can find some HD truck facilities and some conventional stores that can work on them, it's just not the norm. You just have to check.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always fun to learn about a new piece of equipment, the good, the bad, and the tires. Had I known ahead of time about the F450 tire wear issue I would have insisted on tire rotation. That seems to the root of my problem. I had a tire replacement plan, but the odd wear and an errant screw in the shoulder of a tire has blown that plan out of the water, time to revise.

So it's good to know about the Yohohama and Cooper tires. I was kind of leaning toward the Goodyear G622 or the Hankook H107, extreme snow tire. Unrepairable flat required a new Continental Hybrid HD3 and to keep things congruent I pulled the new Hybrid HD3 off the spare and put the 2 new tires on the front, used tire on the spare. Wear on the duallies was not as much as wear on the front. New plan it run this until cupped tires smooths out and rotate, then when the first tires reach wear bars go for all new. Expensive plan, but a lot rides on my truck, like my whole life, so I will spend an extra buck to keep things optimal.

I figure I have 6-9 months before I have to do something with the tires. I have found the 19.5's and F450 to be a bit of odd duck. There aren't many options for 19.5 tires, and the F450 is too big and heavy for conventional tire stores and too small for heavy duty truck repair facilities, but, you can find some HD truck facilities and some conventional stores that can work on them, it's just not the norm. You just have to check.
    The Ford dealership and a local general tires dealership were able to get the Coopers for me. I like the Coopers more than the Yokohamas, and I did have the hancocks, they had the same issue of very fast wearing and cupping. The Coopers seem to be the best tires and there actually a heavier duty tire than the HD3 or the other tires. And they come in an aggressive tread designed for dirt and sand and better priced then Goodyear.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234