User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F450 cupping Hd3 tires at 30k

I have increasingly grown concerned about the uneven tire wear on my 2019 F450 with Continental 19.5" HD3 tires. My Momentum weighs in right around 20k. The blocks on the HD3' are starting to get "edges" on some of them. Running your hand over the tire you easily feel the difference in block wear. Formerly I would have said these tires were "cupping". But not sure that is the case. Treadwear is still really good, lots of tread left.

I stopped by a tire dealer today and the lad told me I had shock issues. Ok, 2019 with only 30k and the shocks are shot? Hmmm! Ok, why are the rear tires cupping also?

I am going to swing by a Ford dealership next week and ask them. I am not sure a normal retail ship will know about the F450 and heavy 5th wheel towing. Then add in the individual characteristics of the HD3 tire, it's an odd duck for sure.

Anyone else have issues with the tires on their F450?
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is going to sound like a dumb question, but were the tries balanced? Out of balance can wreck havoc on shocks too. Is there any vibration in the steering or truck at speed? Last have you ever rotated the tries - yes it is a paint to dismount and mount. A few pictures would really help too.

Trying to help
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2017 F450 lost a chunk of tread off the edge of one of the tires but there's still enough rubber left underneath to be safe. I must have run over something very sharp. No cupping so far as I can tell. I'm at a bit over 13k mi.

If your cuppiing is indeed due to the shocks, then I'm not surprised. If your truck came with the Rancho shocks on the FX4 suspension, they're crap shocks. They're actually Ford shocks with a licensed Rancho label on them. Folks on the Ford Trucks Forum say they don't last very long at all. The Bilstein 5100 series are favored for daily driving and towing.

Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I have increasingly grown concerned about the uneven tire wear on my 2019 F450 with Continental 19.5" HD3 tires. My Momentum weighs in right around 20k. The blocks on the HD3' are starting to get "edges" on some of them. Running your hand over the tire you easily feel the difference in block wear. Formerly I would have said these tires were "cupping". But not sure that is the case. Treadwear is still really good, lots of tread left.

I stopped by a tire dealer today and the lad told me I had shock issues. Ok, 2019 with only 30k and the shocks are shot? Hmmm! Ok, why are the rear tires cupping also?

I am going to swing by a Ford dealership next week and ask them. I am not sure a normal retail ship will know about the F450 and heavy 5th wheel towing. Then add in the individual characteristics of the HD3 tire, it's an odd duck for sure.

Anyone else have issues with the tires on their F450?
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rock Auto sells the Bilsteins. I'm surprised so many different Motorcraft shocks are available there too.

Ford has a history of choosing ride quality over shock dampening. Shocks are actually a wear item--like brakes.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    ...If your cuppiing is indeed due to the shocks, then I'm not surprised. If your truck came with the Rancho shocks on the FX4 suspension, they're crap shocks. They're actually Ford shocks with a licensed Rancho label on them. Folks on the Ford Trucks Forum say they don't last very long at all. The Bilstein 5100 series are favored for daily driving and towing.
    My Rancho shocks were shot at 23,000. No dampening left. Replaced with Bilsteins.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed out my shocks at 40k. They were way gone, but had no tire issues.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No tire issues on my 450 Dallas but I only have 3000 miles on it so far. I keep the fronts at 90 psi per the tire sticker and the rears at 80 psi UNLESS I'm running without the trailer. The outside row of tread on the rears don't even touch the ground at 80 psi and no trailer lol. I run them at 70 psi and the ride is much better empty as well. If it was mine I'd get it to a Ford dealer and let them check the front end alignment before it ruins the tires. That Dana super 60 front axle is a monster but it could have just got knocked out of alignment. Good luck!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm! you just never know, maybe the kid at the tire shop new his business. Ok, off to the Ford dealership, I am now ok with spending bucks for shocks. I really like the centronics balancer, may get that also.
    Dallas

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Hmmm! you just never know, maybe the kid at the tire shop new his business. Ok, off to the Ford dealership, I am now ok with spending bucks for shocks. I really like the centronics balancer, may get that also.
    You should also do a full tire rotation since the truck will be in the shop.

I put these on my rear tires.

Crossfire Dual Tire Pressure Equalization System

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I put these on my rear tires.
    KEN

How did that affect tire balance?
    Dallas

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast