User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Radcolt View Post
    Yes. That is what I was told by my dealer on our walk through. It makes sense. The refrigerator slide out alone is heavy especially since it and the pantry were packed with food. I also had a bunch of stuff under the dinette table on the opposite slide out. The truck was disconnected and no one in the trailer. It worked perfectly. I checked it with my carpenters level.
    This is not best practice, your dealer misled you. Reason being when the slides deploy, they need to be coming from a level platform otherwise they could bind and cause issues. It also puts additional stress on the mechanism. The weight of the slides really doesn't matter in the sense that it won't throw off the final level. Having said that, moving that much weight from an unlevel trailer is where again, binding and issues can occur. Best practice is to level then deploy the slides.

John
    Last edited by LV Naturist; 09-30-2020 at 09:18 PM.
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    This is not best practice, your dealer misled you. Reason being when the slides deploy, they need to be coming from a level platform otherwise they could bind and cause issues. It also puts additional stress on the mechanism. The weight of the slides really doesn't matter in the sense that it won't throw off the final level. Having said that, moving that much weight from an unlevel trailer is where again, binding and issues can occur. Best practice is to level then deploy the slides.

John
    I recorded the walkthrough with the dealer rep. I didn’t think they gave me the most experienced guy, so thanks for the tip. I went back and listened to the video clip and that is indeed what he told me.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. That is what I was told by my dealer on our walk through. It makes sense. The refrigerator slide out alone is heavy especially since it and the pantry were packed with food. I also had a bunch of stuff under the dinette table on the opposite slide out. The truck was disconnected and no one in the trailer. It worked perfectly. I checked it with my carpenters level.
    We were told to level first, before extending slides.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    We were told to level first, before extending slides.
    I will give Grand Design a call tomorrow. I will post what they tell me. I don’t want to mess up the slide out mechanism. Thanks for the comments.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will give Grand Design a call tomorrow. I will post what they tell me. I don’t want to mess up the slide out mechanism. Thanks for the comments.
    Seriously, I am not breaking stones, but did you read the chunky owner's manual that came with your new camper? It will be right in your manual to level and stabilize before extending the slide outs.

First rule of camper ownership: do not trust what the dealer tells you.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Seriously, I am not breaking stones, but did you read the chunky owner's manual that came with your new camper? It will be right in your manual to level and stabilize before extending the slide outs.

First rule of camper ownership: do not trust what the dealer tells you.
    I actually read everything in my owner’s manual. Comes from my OCD. I re-read the Lippert 3.0 leveling manual again last night after the comments here and there is no mention of whether the slide outs should be opened or closed. It only mentions not having someone in the camper since the shifting weight will affect the leveling system.

This is actually my third trailer, FYI. I had a 42’ Forest River Sabre bunkhouse with 4 slides, king bed and 1.5 bath. I also recently sold my 40’ Merhow 3 horse trailer with 15’ living quarters and single slide out. My horse trailer had dual manual hydraulic levelers. So I am not new to camping or leveling trailers. But that being said, the Lippert 3.0 system is definitely new to me. I will let you know what Grand Design says.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually read everything in my owner’s manual. Comes from my OCD. I re-read the Lippert 3.0 leveling manual again last night after the comments here and there is no mention of whether the slide outs should be opened or closed. It only mentions not having someone in the camper since the shifting weight will affect the leveling system.

This is actually my third trailer, FYI. I had a 42’ Forest River Sabre bunkhouse with 4 slides, king bed and 1.5 bath. I also recently sold my 40’ Merhow 3 horse trailer with 15’ living quarters and single slide out. My horse trailer had dual manual hydraulic levelers. So I am not new to camping or leveling trailers. But that being said, the Lippert 3.0 system is definitely new to me. I will let you know what Grand Design says.
    Morning! It is not in the Lippert manual, but in the GD owner's manual. I just checked the online 2020 manuals, and it is there under the slide out section. Again, I was not breaking stones. If anything, I'm annoyed with the typical dealer experience getting worse with every story conveyed on the forums.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looked at my (2017) GD manual; here is the direct quote (p. 125):
    Section, Slide Out Systems, sub section, Operation. Step 1
    1. Level and stabilize the RV.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Morning! It is not in the Lippert manual, but in the GD owner's manual. I just checked the online 2020 manuals, and it is there under the slide out section. Again, I was not breaking stones. If anything, I'm annoyed with the typical dealer experience getting worse with every story conveyed on the forums.
    I just got off the phone with Grand Design Customer Service. He said it doesn’t matter either way. You can auto level with the slide outs all the way in or all the way out. He said your dealer RV tech is not giving misformation. You have to have the fifth wheel relatively level (which I do with the Andersen Levelers and Lego blocks on the jacks). Also, the slide outs can not be partially extended (all the way in or out).

I specifically asked about the GD owner’s manual with respect to the slide out section. That means the fifth wheel needs to be “close to level” (not auto leveled with the Lippert system) and chocked before extending the slide outs. So it sounds like the manual could have been written better. Also, he said that is why the Lippert 3.0 manual makes no mention of slide outs being in or out because it doesn’t matter.

Feel free to give GD a call (574) 825-9679.
    Last edited by Radcolt; 10-01-2020 at 09:35 AM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got off the phone with Grand Design Customer Service. He said it doesn’t matter either way. You can auto level with the slide outs all the way in or all the way out. He said your dealer RV tech is not giving misformtaion. You have to have the fifth wheel relatively level (which I do with the Andersen Levelers and Lego blocks on the jacks). Also, the slide outs can not be partially extended (all the way in or out).

I specifically asked about the GD owner’s manual with respect to the slide out section. That means the fifth wheel needs to be “close to level” (not auto leveled with the Lippert system) and chocked before extending the slide outs. So it sounds like the manual could have been written better. Also, he said that is why the Lippert 3.0 manual makes no mention of side outs being in or out because it doesn’t matter.

Feel free to give GD a call (574) 825-9679.
    I think we're on the same page, but referencing the jargon differently causing some misunderstanding. I do not think any of us here were saying auto-leveled, but saying the rig should be level before slide out extension. In auto-level terms, that's with both axes within a couple tenths of level, which is about the accuracy of small, economical bubble levels used before the electronics to level campers. If you are roughly leveling - then you are following good practice. I, for one, did not get that your were basically getting your rig "within bubble" first, extending, and then auto-leveling. Fact of the matter, that is what I have been doing as my Ground Control 3.0 system has been malfunctioning for months (I am actually at the Factory Service Center right now having it looked at along with another major repair).
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast