Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skirting has a small crack/tear at the lower edge

Does anyone know if the material on a 2019 29RS is ABS? I am thinking of trying PVC cement if it is, but if it is fiberglass I might use bondo on the back side. The tear is from the lower edge and is about 2" long.
    Thanks

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the same issue. My crack is above the rear tire on the curb side about two inches, The other wheel well cover ,driver side is about 3 inches ling. Almost the entire height of the wheel well fender. I first drill a small hole in the end of the crack to stop the crack from continuing and then I filled ,covered the drack with clear epoxy . Not the nice look but stops the problem for now. I also just found a crack in my skylight. It is about 4inches. The trailer has been sitting the entire year , still winterized from last year , No one has been on the roof for two years and this crack just showed up .I was looking up at the skylight and saw the crack. I did the same thing for now. I am beginning to wonder about quality?? I have had two Jayco trailers and kept each for 12 years before trading. Each trailer has been over the east coast ,south west and nova scotia and the latest jayco went to alaska from Maryland. I have not had any issues with my jayco trailers. NONE, No leaks , cracks or tire issues . Is it because of the newer trailers or what. so far I have had a leaking water control valve that leaked a lot of water into the under belly, my tire winch broke, my brakes leaked grease into the hubs right from new . At the time I thought this large trailer just took more to stop. It was the grease on the brakes. I changed over to disc brakes and during the change I realized the problem.Just out of warranty .just my luck. Now I have a recall because the builder did not tie down the 110v connector properly. And as I mentioned I have cracks in the fenders for the wheels, both sides and now a crack in the sky light for the shower. I know I am missing something. This I hear is not a recall. I don't know why but I have supports delivered to me because the tanks might fallout on to the ground.I sure would not want this to happen on a trip anywhere. These supports are to keep the holding tanks from falling to the ground. I have not had time to install the support so we travel with no water in any tank, no fresh water, no grey tank water, no black water. Almost for got this one.. It sounds like it should be a recall. I believe Grand Design is really a good company and trying to help me and I appreciate all the efforts but quality should be outstanding. Maybe it's me and I had good luck with my Jayco trailers. I have had a popup with no issues for about 5years and a used wilderness for about 7years . No problems. Almost forgot our air conditioner went up after only three years. I have had air in all my other trailers for 10, 12 years ,again no problems. sorry for all the info.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch
    2002 GMC Duramax 3:73 rear, 2 wheel drive

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello duke13
    First I confirmed the skirt material was abs
    Then
    I c clamped the inner part of the running crack With small wooden shims on the outside and used a little coating of pvc cement along the crack
    After two days I reapplied
    Then I removed the wood blocks and did the same over the lnner part of the leading edge
    Lastly I added another coat over the whole crack
    I only put pvc on the underside

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JessJoe, sounds good. I didn't clamp mine but that sounds good. Thanks .so far mine is holding . I used JB WELD

I found a web site that I believe you can purchase replacement wheel well skirts. --- https://www.icondirect.com/

they also sell replacements for skylights
    Last edited by duke13; 10-01-2020 at 05:36 AM.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI - there are two giant RV surplus stores - Bontrager's and Johnson's. They literally have hundreds of fender skirts. I bought a match to my prior FR for $16 versus $103 plus shipping for the brand new one. Just a thought.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks geotex, That sounds good. I guess they have skylights ? I will give them a look.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duke13 View Post
    Thanks geotex, That sounds good. I guess they have skylights ? I will give them a look.
    Yes, they have every component you can ever find on any camper! Whether they have your size in stock would be the issue. I was talking to the manager at Johnson's yesterday after noting a huge reduction in their inventories, and he told me it's been the best year for them because flipping campers has become a lucrative thing and most campers have no idea RV surplus stores and boneyards exist. You can literally build a trailer of any type with what you can get at these yards! I stop whenever I go through Indiana and Michigan, as there's always something I need. for one of my trailers. Picked up spare wet bolts and bronze bushings this time for my dump trailer since they're $2 for the wet bolt and deformed nut and $1 for a bushing. You can buy the identical, and I do mean the identical ones from etrailer for 3x as much and the shipping to boot...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GeoTex Thanks again. I will check them out and thanks again for the information. Do they sell new products or mostly used? For my skylight I was hoping to get a stronger unit, lexan if possible , I need to do more checking on both the skylight and fender trim. Thanks again for the information. Duke13
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duke13 View Post
    GeoTex Thanks again. I will check them out and thanks again for the information. Do they sell new products or mostly used? For my skylight I was hoping to get a stronger unit, lexan if possible , I need to do more checking on both the skylight and fender trim. Thanks again for the information. Duke13
    It's both, and the inventory is changing all the time.

For your skylight, there's only one choice - ICON brand units. Be sure to use the proper adhesive sealant with it because of compatibility issues. Needs to be butyl, and you can either buy the ICON-branded at a premium or Surebond SB-140 for less. FWIW - Amazon sells ICON units at pretty good pricing. I bought a replacement for my last camper through them - 22"x14"x4" in smoke and it was under $100 delivered and I bought the Surebond at my local Grainger.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again, I did try amazon for my skylight 28"x28" , i need to recheck my measurements. Also my skylight is a Neo-Angle Skylights. one corner is rounded./ I do appreciate your help. I also need to be sure and use the proper sealant.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast