Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cricket anyone?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cricket anyone?

We have a Cricket (AT&T) hotspot that does not work well, it continually drops out, to the point of not being practical. It has a good signal and works well at the Cricket store. I took it to a neighbors who has one as well, his works OK, but ours does not. When he comes back from vacation I'll have him try his at our house. In the meantime I'd sure like to understand it better, such as why does it have a phone # and what is it's purpose? Our cell phone signal is weak, maybe that has something to do with our problem. We are with Consumer Cellular, they use the AT&T tower, but their signal is not as strong. Any experts out there?
    2014 303 RLS
    2017 F450, Air suspension, Aluminum tow body, B&W hitch
    3rd family member - Labradoodle

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you are dealing with a weaker signal, a couple of feet one way or another will make a big difference. Elevation will also sometimes help. We have two cellular modems, and I added an external antenna to one of them, mounted to the inside wall of the trailer almost at the ceiling. It made a big difference in signal quality at the modem. By a window sometimes helps folks too.

A hotspot is just a cellular modem with a router/wifi in it. The cellular modem connects to the provider network, and the router/wifi handles your connection(s) to your computers, etc. It has a phone number because that's how the cell companies are setup to bill. Some of them have the ability to send and receive text messages too, so the number may be more useful than simply a billing placeholder. Both of our cell modems have that ability, but not all providers enable that capability.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rv@rvhomeschool,

Thanks for the clarity, I think we are on the right track in our understanding of the problem. We are actually trying out the hotspot in our house, as our rv is in a steel building at a lower elevation. Our cell signal in the house is boosted because our house has steel siding as well. The hot spot placed near a window works no better, not even on the porch where our cell phones are the most reliable. Will continue to troubleshoot. Really appreciate your response.

Tom
    2014 303 RLS
    2017 F450, Air suspension, Aluminum tow body, B&W hitch
    3rd family member - Labradoodle