User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I95 - Maine Turnpike Low Overpasses

Using RV trip wizard for planning to go from RI to Bar Harbor ME it shows many overpasses listed at 13'6". I'm concerned that my Momentum 351M, listed at 13'5", won't make it. I have used street view on google maps and have seen tractor trailers passing under these bridges although some are a little close but it's hard to tell with the camera angle. Looking on the Maine DOT site it says nothing over 13'6". An inch is a bit close for me. Has anyone with a 351M or the like in height travelled this stretch of road? Did you have any issues with the low overpasses?

TIA!
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 351M
    2018 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW CC 8 ft bed, B&W Companion hitch
    2018 Harley Davidson Roadglide Ultra
    2019 KTM 790 Adventure

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that the 13' 6" clearance is the lowest part of the bridge. Look closely, and you might see that one side is slightly lower than the other. However, for me, is usually difficult to tell looking at Google street view.

Also, a big rig trailer is typically 13' 6" tall.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NFurno View Post
    Using RV trip wizard for planning to go from RI to Bar Harbor ME it shows many overpasses listed at 13'6". I'm concerned that my Momentum 351M, listed at 13'5", won't make it. I have used street view on google maps and have seen tractor trailers passing under these bridges although some are a little close but it's hard to tell with the camera angle. Looking on the Maine DOT site it says nothing over 13'6". An inch is a bit close for me. Has anyone with a 351M or the like in height travelled this stretch of road? Did you have any issues with the low overpasses?

TIA!
    I’ve run from N.H. border to Bangor and on to Bar Harbor many times and saw nothing to concern you. Granted my reflection is only 12’ 8” but the overpasses all had lots of clearance even for the tractor trailers. So no worries.
    Worry about your Covid clearance for ME

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure which overpasses are in question, but if the bridge or obstruction is less than 14'-6" above the road surface it is supposed to be marked with a sign. I've driven thru the are many times and never noticed any low bridges on I95, but we don't have a 5th wheel, so I may not have noticed. If you are worried about, you can re-look at the whole route using street view again, only this time look for the signs. I hope this helps.

Maine is a big beautiful state with lots to see and do, I'm sure that you'll enjoy it as much as we do!

Copied from the Maine DOT web page. (https://www.maine.gov/mdot/bridges/postings/)

Vertical Clearance Posting

When the clearance over a roadway is less than 14'6", state law (Title 29-A, Section 2380) requires that vertical clearance signs be installed. These signs are usually required for overpasses and for trusses with overhead obstructions. The law requires that the responsibility for installing and maintaining signs on roadways that have restrictions be placed on the custodian of that roadway. Although MaineDOT generally installs clearance signs on our bridges over town ways such as the Interstate, the municipality is still responsible according to this law. The most frequently unsigned or partially signed structures are those owned by the railroad over town ways. Note that installing signs on someone else's bridge requires permission. Measurements should be taken periodically, to ensure that the stated height is still provided.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tortise - Thanks! That's what I was looking for. I've scheduled Covid testing.
    Last edited by NFurno; 08-31-2020 at 06:09 AM.
    2019 KTM 790 Adventure

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BeerBrewer - Thanks for the reply and the information. I looked for signs and the overpasses the trip wizard indicates are low aren't marked as such which is why I posted the original question. I looked at the ME DOT page for turnpike restrictions and they limit the height to 13'6" which I thought was odd. Maybe this is due to some liability issue. Dunno.
    2019 KTM 790 Adventure

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thing. Just because your rig is listed at 13’5” doesn’t mean it isn’t taller when you are towing it. Hitch setup can change the height. Well worth the effort to measure it while parked on a flat surface.

I measured mine by laying a straight 2x4 across the front part of the front AC, which is my highest point. Measured to the ground on both sides. Flipped it over and measured again. I use the highest of the measurements as my height.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After staying in Bar Harbor, Maine, for a week at the end on August, we took 1A to I-95. We got on 95 towing our 372WB, and after a short while traveling South bound, I saw a sign that said the next overpass was 13’ 6”. I turned to my DW and told her I hope we make it! If 13’ 6” is the true height, that left us with very little clearance. What was so amazing is being on 95, and there is no way to exit the highway before you reach the overpass. And no way to turn around. You’re stuck.
    Last edited by JonSr.; 10-03-2020 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Left out some info: