User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Jthamilton

Anyone have transfer flow replacement tank for f250?

The trip from California to Colorado definitely brought to my attention the need for longer tanks. Between the Titans (more expensive) and Transfer flow 50 gallon replacement choices I was curious who had installed one and how is it working? This will go on a 2014 F250
    Last edited by Jthamilton; 02-20-2015 at 09:07 PM.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't have one yet, but the TF tank will be ordered next week. We put 8500 miles on last summer, and that I'm going to make sure I don't have to put up with that tiny OEM tank again this year. Here's a video on installing the TF tank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmjHWFZgh0s

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Transfer Flow 40 gallon fuel/tool bed tank installed several months ago before decided to purchase a fifth wheel. I bought the tank knowing we were going to upgrade to a 5th wheel in the near future as we currently have a smaller pull trailer. It is a great bed tank that gives me a total of 66 gallons of diesel in a 2013 short bed F-250 plus storage in the tool box. I have had a few issues with the digital display not reading the correct fuel level. The dealer just installed a new sending unit which I think will resolve the issue. I have been very happy with the tank and the local installer. I just had the new B&W patriot 18K slider hitch installed yesterday and do not have any clearance issues. Also had a set of Firestone airbags installed as we are awaiting the arrival of our ordered 2015 Reflection 323BHS.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done a fair amount of research on this but haven't pulled the trigger on this and most likely won't. I find it hard to justify the expense.

That said the TF if I remember is the metal tank and have heard and read good things about it.

The other tank is plastic and I have read about a lot of leaks where the sending unit is bolted to the top of the tank if it is not torqued exactly to spec.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be concerned about the loss in payload between the extra fuel and the weight of the tank. For those with lots of payload capacity, it's a great idea.

For myself, the trucks fuel tank and my own tank usually require attention around the same time!

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had both types of tanks. A Transflow and a Northern Tools in-bed tank. The both did the same thing - refill the main tank-they just did it in different ways. My only problem with the Transflow is an old adage we use in product development that goes like this - Too much technology, not enough problem.

At the end of the day I now have a small electric pump hooked up to a 90 gallon in bed tank. Flip the switch in the truck and the tank starts filling. When it gets to two-thirds full - turn it off.

It’s a $300 - 400.00 savings over the transflow system.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave....too funny.

I am in the same boat as you. We were traveling from N Dakota to S. Dakota last Summer and we hit a head wind that dropped our mileage down to 6 mpg. I had filled up and calculated our next fuel stop with a bit to spare but we were a long way away from the next DIESEL station. We had to travel 10 miles off the hwy to a little farming town that sold diesel just so I could get rid of that gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach. I swore I would get an extra tank then. But I just can't get there from here - the extra weight and all. So, I strapped a 5 gallon diesel can in the bed up next to the cab of the truck and that gives me a little extra piece of mind....not a whole lot but a little....
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Jthamilton
    Ha....before we even took off on our adventure I told the wife we needed a 5 gallon diesel can. I haven't ruled out buying a removable tank for the back which I could probably use when I get my little farm back in a few years if life's plan works out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justaguy View Post
    Dave....too funny.

I am in the same boat as you. We were traveling from N Dakota to S. Dakota last Summer and we hit a head wind that dropped our mileage down to 6 mpg. I had filled up and calculated our next fuel stop with a bit to spare but we were a long way away from the next DIESEL station. We had to travel 10 miles off the hwy to a little farming town that sold diesel just so I could get rid of that gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach. I swore I would get an extra tank then. But I just can't get there from here - the extra weight and all. So, I strapped a 5 gallon diesel can in the bed up next to the cab of the truck and that gives me a little extra piece of mind....not a whole lot but a little....

Dean & Cindy, that 5 gallons of fuel is about 1/4 tank of fuel on your ford as we only have a factory 26 gallon tank, so I personally felt the same as all of you, that is why I went with the Titan Mid-Ship replacement. I found a listing on eBay for the tank and skid plate ship to my door far cheaper then anywheres else I looked. It took me about 3 hours to drop the empty factory (Plastic) tank and install the new 50 gallon tank in its place. Instructions are pretty simple.
    Stephen & Nikki

2013 Ford F-250 SRW w/Firestone Ride Rite Airbags, B&W Companion Hitch,
    Titan XXL 50 Gallon Mid-Ship Fuel Tank and Viair Onboard Air.
    2015 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2009 Club Car Golf Cart
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool...I'll take a look at them. Thanks!!!
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast