Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B&W Sliding Hitch and Tailgage Questions

Even more hitch questions!
    Complete newbie here. I have a 2020 F350 CCSB with the factory pucks installed (and a 2018 GD 303RLS). I was considering going with the B&W sliding hitch (RVK3370), "just in case" I needed the slider function (I am a newbie!). I don't think I'm interested in an autoslider due to the weight. I'm hoping someone can answer these questions:
    1. Do I have to lower the tailgate every time I use the B&W slider function to prevent damaging the tailgate?
    2. Is there a way to adjust the B&W slider and/or pinbox to prevent the slider from contacting the tailgate when in use?
    3. If I do have to lower the tailgate every time using the slider function how do you make a tight turn without the tailgate hitting the camper?
    4. If your on a hill with the camper downhill, how do you prevent the camper from rolling downhill and slamming the slider when the slider lock is released?
    Other Question on nonsliding hitches:
    Is there a difference in turning radius' between the B&W Companion (RVK3300 - non slider) and Anderson hitches?
    *****HELP!!! My wife wants to go camping now and is ready to kill me if I don't buy something soon. LOL*****

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StripermanNH View Post
    Complete newbie here. I have a 2020 F350 CCSB with the factory pucks installed (and a 2018 GD 303RLS). I was considering going with the B&W sliding hitch (RVK3370), "just in case" I needed the slider function (I am a newbie!). I don't think I'm interested in an autoslider due to the weight. I'm hoping someone can answer these questions:
    1. Do I have to lower the tailgate every time I use the B&W slider function to prevent damaging the tailgate?
    2. Is there a way to adjust the B&W slider and/or pinbox to prevent the slider from contacting the tailgate when in use?
    3. If I do have to lower the tailgate every time using the slider function how do you make a tight turn without the tailgate hitting the camper?
    4. If your on a hill with the camper downhill, how do you prevent the camper from rolling downhill and slamming the slider when the slider lock is released?
    Is there a difference in turning radius' between the B&W Companion (RVK3300 - non slider) and Anderson hitches?
    *****HELP!!! My wife wants to go camping now and is ready to kill me if I don't buy something soon. LOL*****
    Having owned both hitches, maybe I can help a little (heavy emphasis on “a little).

1. It depends. It depends on the length of the pin box and it’s shape. The pin box on my unit was just long enough and shaped such that it just come in contact with my tailgate with the B&W slider in the unlocked/rearward position, so I had to have my tailgate down.

2. I don’t believe the adjustment on either the hitch or the pin box would make any difference here. Most of the adjustment on both the pin box and hitch is for adjusting the height, I believe, but I could be wrong.

3. Again, I think this is dependent on your specific model. The placement of some pin boxes in relation to the front compartment of the fifth wheel allows for plenty of room, even to make turns.

4. I wouldn’t want to release the B&W slider if you’re fifth wheel is headed downhill. That could be dangerous, may cause some damage to the hitch, and at the very least it would likely result in a big bang. You’d probably want to find some level ground before unlocking the slider or plan ahead and unlock it before backing downhill.

I can’t speak to the turning radius on the B&W non-slider. The B&W slider was my first hitch and I switched to the Andersen and have used it on both long and short bed trucks. The biggest reason I ditched the B&W wasn’t because it was in inferior hitch, quite the contrary. However, it was a beast and I got tired of lifting it in and out of the truck. I live the Andersen for that reason alone.

Like I mentioned above there are a number of variables that impact your turning radius. For example, if you put the Andersen in your truck and hooked it up to 10 different fifth wheel models, the turning radius will likely be different for every one of them (again, due to pin box placement and the shape of the front cap on the fifth wheel). That said, I really like the Andersen for several reasons and I haven’t yet been in situation where the turning radius has been a problem in my short bed.

If you look up Mountain Beaches on YouTube, he had an Andersen hitch in his truck (2500 Ram short bed) and the very same fifth wheel you have. He ultimately traded his truck in for a 1 ton Ford, but his Andersen video might give you some additional insight on the topic.

If you’re going the democratic route, I vote Andersen. [emoji4]

Ultimately, you’ll probably be happy with either hitch. One thing is for sure, if you don’t get your wife out camping soon you might be sleeping in that 303RLS. [emoji23][emoji23]
    Last edited by bdelcurto; 08-30-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2013 Chevy 2500HD with 6-1/2 ft bed with a Patriot 18k slider (just in case) and here's my comments:

1. No. The head will only go back 14" (I think that's right), anyway only to the end of the slides so not close to the tailgate.
    2. No, it locks either in tow position or at the end of the slides once it slides toward the tailgate.
    3. Not applicable but it would be a problem.
    4. I agree with bdelcurto. Not sure if this would work but MAYBE you could chock the trailer tires and manually set the trailer break. Again I am saying 'MAYBE'?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you can see in my signature, I have an F250 short bed and a B&W Companion Slider with the Ford puck system. I have the elchepo Lippert pin-box that came with my 2020 Reflection 303RLS. There is no interference with the tailgate in any position. Do not pull the trailer with the tailgate down under any circumstances.
    The B&W Companion Slider is very heavy about 280# assembled. It's just as heavy as any auto slider.
    A couple of years ago I had a Solitude and a Ram 2500 with a Pullrite auto slider. At the end of my block there is a Cul-de-sac as I was going around the cul-de-sac the auto slider malfunctioned and the trailer was in my back seat. The truck was totaled, but the trailer had a few scrapes that were buffed out.
    I use the slider every time I enter a campground or any other tight spot, it goes around the cul-de-sac fine and I am able to back into my driveway from the left side.
    I have never activated on a hill steep enough for the trailer to roll, but it is a pretty hard rap when changing slider position. If you set the emergency brake on the TV I don't think you would have a problem.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA