User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie towing question on blow outs

Still new at RVing and been spending lots of time on here learning from you all. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and experiences.
    I was coming back home today from a weekend getaway rolling on freshly laid down asphalt when suddenly I was getting an odd bounce. I was worried I got a blowout and immediately pulled over. Turns out it was just a poor asphalt job.
    So my question is, how will I know if I've got a blowout? Will I feel a violent vibration, jerking....

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only had one blow out (fortunately), so not an expert. In my case, I heard it blow, looked in mirror, and saw the rubber flying. Pulled over immediately and swapped the spare. Still had damage from the steel belt slapping the floor above the wheel.

I didn't feel any shaking or anything, although it could have an I just didn't notice as I pulled over.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a TPMS. You may not even know otherwise until you see chunks of rubber and trailer flying or somebody pulls up next to you waving and pointing.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Get a TPMS. You may not even know otherwise until you see chunks of rubber and trailer flying or somebody pulls up next to you waving and pointing.
    Second that. You may even get a notification that you have low pressure before it becomes a “must stop immediately” issue.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Or someone sees you with shredded tires. We stopped for gas on one of our trips, and the guy at the next rig had a shredded tire. We asked him if he was aware of that. He said "no".

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TPMS is on my list of things to get but unfortunately I wont be receiving it in time for our next and last trip of the season starting next week.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Save a few bucks after your last trip and invest in a TPMS. It will give you peace of mind on all our future travels. I didn't have one for our last trailer and got 4k miles on them "Blow Max" tires without any issues. Our new 22 MLE is a long term investment and I finally convinced my wife that we "should" get one. I'm so glad we did. They won't alert you to a sudden catastrophic failure. Our last trip a couple weeks ago we only had a 2 hours drive to the CG, and the tires were running between 73-75 psi. Took the exit to the CG and I noticed one tire was down to 67 psi. CG was only 5 miles away at that point and when we got to CG, tire was at 63. Called roadside assistance and when the tech arrived tire was at 28 psi. I would've never known tire had a puncture without the TST 507 TPMS. After I got home I submitted a claim with Lionshead on a Friday, claim approved Tuesday and brand new tire arrived Thursday morning.
    2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z71 6.2l aka "Luci"
    2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE aka "Desi"

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief T View Post
    Save a few bucks after your last trip and invest in a TPMS. It will give you peace of mind on all our future travels. I didn't have one for our last trailer and got 4k miles on them "Blow Max" tires without any issues. Our new 22 MLE is a long term investment and I finally convinced my wife that we "should" get one. I'm so glad we did. They won't alert you to a sudden catastrophic failure. Our last trip a couple weeks ago we only had a 2 hours drive to the CG, and the tires were running between 73-75 psi. Took the exit to the CG and I noticed one tire was down to 67 psi. CG was only 5 miles away at that point and when we got to CG, tire was at 63. Called roadside assistance and when the tech arrived tire was at 28 psi. I would've never known tire had a puncture without the TST 507 TPMS. After I got home I submitted a claim with Lionshead on a Friday, claim approved Tuesday and brand new tire arrived Thursday morning.
    Tks, that's the system I've got my eye on.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We love ours. The truck has TPMS, but only on the tires that are on the ground. I got six sensors with our system. Paid a little more, but I think it’s worth it. I put four on the trailer tires and one on each spare (truck and trailer). Now we have TPMS on all the tires. How many people never even look at their spare, until it’s time that you need it?
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    We love ours. The truck has TPMS, but only on the tires that are on the ground. I got six sensors with our system. Paid a little more, but I think it’s worth it. I put four on the trailer tires and one on each spare (truck and trailer). Now we have TPMS on all the tires. How many people never even look at their spare, until it’s time that you need it?
    That's a good plan.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast