Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another broken leaf spring

This will be the second leaf spring that broke on our 2017 350M toy hauler. The hydraulic brake lines were also damaged leaving us with no trailer brakes. Made it home OK, both tires on the failed side are shot due to rubbing on each other, the now loose axle allowed the tires to contact each other causing a lot of wear. Shame, the H rated tires have few miles on them. Repaired it today, took it to the CAT scale to find out the trailer alone weighs 16580. GD says it's GVWR is 16500. I don't feel we are overloaded, no heavy items in garage. It was weighed today with basically what was in it when the spring failed. The garage has 2 inflatable kayaks, fishing cart, 2 bicycles, fishing gear and misc camping stuff, nothing of considerable weight IMO. Nothing in fridge, pantry low, some clothes, stuff under the bed. Storage over the TV area has some pots, paper towels, board games, DVDs. The fresh water tank was 1/2 full with nothing in the black/grey water tanks. Front basement has maybe 200 lbs in it. Generator area has the generator, stock battery, bucket, boots, some tent stakes, a rack of sockets and bag of hand tools.

Is it possible GD under weighed this trailer at the factory? Should it have had heavier axles? 7000lb axles too light?
    Eric & Monique Cope...never left at home, our dog, Olive. Machipongo VA.
    2017 350M
    2017 F350 DRW, Crew cab, 8 ft bed, 4.10 axle. 27,500 lb. Reese Hitch
    Live by the Golden Rule!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cope View Post
    This will be the second leaf spring that broke on our 2017 350M toy hauler. The hydraulic brake lines were also damaged leaving us with no trailer brakes. Made it home OK, both tires on the failed side are shot due to rubbing on each other, the now loose axle allowed the tires to contact each other causing a lot of wear. Shame, the H rated tires have few miles on them. Repaired it today, took it to the CAT scale to find out the trailer alone weighs 16580. GD says it's GVWR is 16500. I don't feel we are overloaded, no heavy items in garage. It was weighed today with basically what was in it when the spring failed. The garage has 2 inflatable kayaks, fishing cart, 2 bicycles, fishing gear and misc camping stuff, nothing of considerable weight IMO. Nothing in fridge, pantry low, some clothes, stuff under the bed. Storage over the TV area has some pots, paper towels, board games, DVDs. The fresh water tank was 1/2 full with nothing in the black/grey water tanks. Front basement has maybe 200 lbs in it. Generator area has the generator, stock battery, bucket, boots, some tent stakes, a rack of sockets and bag of hand tools.

Is it possible GD under weighed this trailer at the factory? Should it have had heavier axles? 7000lb axles too light?
    The GVWR usually does not include things like batteries and generators. Or propane and fresh water weights. Plus the fuel for generator and toys adds more weight. Some friends of ours with a Solitude replaced all 4 of their springs with the next heavier springs.

Check the part numbers & ratings on your axles to be sure the correct ones were originally installed (yes, that has happened). 7000# axles are not too light, of course, you can always upgrade anyway. Two 7000# axles comes to 14,000 lbs, and hitch weight is 2825#. 16,825. How big is your water tank, the specs list 2 possibilities.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 08-30-2020 at 08:54 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which two leaf springs have you broken?. Were they front or rear axle?. While installing a comfort ride shock system on my 350M this summer, I noticed the front of the main leaf , on both sides of the rear axles are bent down slightly. The garage may have been overloaded prior to me purchasing the rig. The previous owner carried a golf cart and probably most all of their other supplies in the garage.
    Chuck & Trish
    2017 350M
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW
    2014 HD Roadking

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would be a lot of work and I am not sure situation would allow it, but if you feel you don't have that much cargo weight, you'll need to completely unload and start empty. Including all tanks; well except fuel. Then go weigh and compare that weight to the UVW on your sticker. You should be within a 100lbs or so depending on how much fuel is in your tanks. On our 351M, when we have full fuel tanks, no water and our Harley, we are shy of max axle rating by a couple hundred pounds. For comparison, our 351M GVWR is 16800 using 7k axles with a cargo capacity of 2594. When I looked at my springs last week, to me they seem flat on the fridge side compared to the door side.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This would be a lot of work and I am not sure situation would allow it, but if you feel you don't have that much cargo weight, you'll need to completely unload and start empty. Including all tanks; well except fuel. Then go weigh and compare that weight to the UVW on your sticker. You should be within a 100lbs or so depending on how much fuel is in your tanks. On our 351M, when we have full fuel tanks, no water and our Harley, we are shy of max axle rating by a couple hundred pounds. For comparison, our 351M GVWR is 16800 using 7k axles with a cargo capacity of 2594. When I looked at my springs last week, to me they seem flat on the fridge side compared to the door side.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well , just to be on the safe side I decided to change two of my leaf springs that were showing signs of being overloaded. They were both on the rear axle. I ordered them yesterday, they were delivered this afternoon and I got them installed today. The only issue I had was the rear most shackle on the drivers/kitchen side was blocked by the black water drain pipe. I had to cut it off in order to remove that shackle. I will have much more peace of mind knowing those springs won’t fail on my way south this fall. I also discovered that my comfort ride shock mounts were going to make contact with the black water drain pipe, so I had to clearance the bracket to avoid it hitting the pipe.
    Chuck & Trish
    2017 350M
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW
    2014 HD Roadking

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    took it to the CAT scale to find out the trailer alone weighs 16580. GD says it's GVWR is 16500. I don't feel we are overloaded,
    What you 'feel" doesn't jibe with the scale.

Obviously you are over weight.... Sometimes by a lot.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison