Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Monica View Post
    Interesting...everything I've seen place Goodyear Marathon and Maxxis as equals and a tier above the other Chinese made brands.

I really recommend that regardless of the brand of tires on the camper, have a good TPMS added.

Dave
    I happen to agree buddy. TST TPMS here. Having them put on metal valve stems this week with tires.

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like others have said, I have reservations about the Westlake OEM tires, but have no first hand experience of failures with them so far. I too am cautiously watching them and at the first sign of an issue arising will change them for either 16" Duravis or stay with 15" and mount Maxxis tires. My previous 2 RV's have had Maxxis tires with zero failures after 16 years of running them; unlike a set of GY Marathon's that lasted 1 1/2 years and approx 8k miles. The Marathons decided one day to see which one could go flat first ! Within 50 miles three of them were strong contenders.

Maxxis tires are (or were) made in two countries. I have always been told to get ones made in Thailand. So far 4 sets of them have had zero issues. I currently have two Maxxis tires on a utililty trailer that are 12 years old and still look the same as the day they came off the 5er. (That's like saying I look as good today as I did yesterday, but I'm not saying what I looked like yesterday !!!)
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if you go in straight lines and gentle curves LT tires are ok. I have seen them break loose a few times when backing into a campsite on pavement
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread68 View Post
    Like others have said, I have reservations about the Westlake OEM tires, but have no first hand experience of failures with them so far. I too am cautiously watching them and at the first sign of an issue arising will change them for either 16" Duravis or stay with 15" and mount Maxxis tires. My previous 2 RV's have had Maxxis tires with zero failures after 16 years of running them; unlike a set of GY Marathon's that lasted 1 1/2 years and approx 8k miles. The Marathons decided one day to see which one could go flat first ! Within 50 miles three of them were strong contenders.

Maxxis tires are (or were) made in two countries. I have always been told to get ones made in Thailand. So far 4 sets of them have had zero issues. I currently have two Maxxis tires on a utililty trailer that are 12 years old and still look the same as the day they came off the 5er. (That's like saying I look as good today as I did yesterday, but I'm not saying what I looked like yesterday !!!)
    Awesome feedback on both tires. I'm not sure which country they were made in as the dealer ordered them. I'm just hoping he didn't inadvertently get the "D" rated tires over the "E" rated ones--8 ply vs 10 ply.
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCBoyer View Post
    I think if you go in straight lines and gentle curves LT tires are ok. I have seen them break loose a few times when backing into a campsite on pavement
    I think they're both ST tires. I didn't look up the G614s on my Cameo, but they were awesome tires if they were LTs.
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Splitsworld
    i did a ton of research on RV tires before i bought them. My friends and i all use Maxxis on our UTVs etc. Alot of people love the marathons for RV and they may be best suited for Class A's but for my TT/TH i ended up with 7 maxxis 8008s. Fantastic tires and i never looked back. Held up well and well worth the money. Unfortunately i had to special order them through Discount but they got them pretty quick. If i need to get new tires i will def order Maxxis again. Split

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the GY Marathons were made in China for a few years, but even the ones made in the US had some issues. The country of manufacture is stamped somewhere on the tire and is a code you have to look up. I tend to believe from what I have seen in pet foods, baby foods, etc, I prefer to stay away from Chinese products, but am open to favorable reviews like the Westlakes. The Maxxis 8008s on my fiver have seen 7K and southwest heat with no issues.
    2015 Ford F350 SRW CrewCab SB 6.7 PSD, Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch
    2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde pin box, 300w of solar
    1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps, RVN

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
    I believe the GY Marathons were made in China for a few years, but even the ones made in the US had some issues. The country of manufacture is stamped somewhere on the tire and is a code you have to look up. I tend to believe from what I have seen in pet foods, baby foods, etc, I prefer to stay away from Chinese products, but am open to favorable reviews like the Westlakes. The Maxxis 8008s on my fiver have seen 7K and southwest heat with no issues.
    Off topic, but your signature says you have a Cougar. Are you awaiting a GD as well?
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent M View Post
    Off topic, but your signature says you have a Cougar. Are you awaiting a GD as well?
    GD is where my heart lies, but it may be a while.
    2015 Ford F350 SRW CrewCab SB 6.7 PSD, Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch
    2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde pin box, 300w of solar
    1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps, RVN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info everyone!
    I was talking about picking up a set of Maxxis 8008's for my 2015 Reflection 303 used one season. What gets me is I don't see many if any dealers in N.H. that carry them. I can order them on many web sites but I would like to see the date they were built before I pay for them. I think Amazon had them around $130 a piece for the 10 ply E. I've had great luck dealing with Amazon before. I drive on the highway at 60-62 mph and also have TPMS hooked up. No hurry for us we are retired! Reading TuscanJim's posting make you think about running the Westlakes. I wonder if some of these blowouts are caused by to many people driving to dam fast. Many times trucks pulling trailers are flying by me and if my tires are rated for 65 mph I wonder what speed there tires are rated at when some of the trailers are smaller and bigger than mine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast