Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maxxis M8008 Tires Vs Westlake

Well, I've done a search and read all I can before posting. Still, I'd like to bring up the dreaded tire discussion again for my own reassurance and your feedback. When I got my Cameo in 09, it came with Duro tires. I researched, to my wits end, on everything safety related and tires seemed to be like the number one down-the-road concern of mine. Duro did not have a good reputation. So, I changed them out with Goodyear G614s. Next 5 years, not a problem and I had a TST TPMS as well. Ok, here I am once again and my 303 has just arrived at the dealership. So excited. They are installing a second AC and they're awaiting Maxxis M8008 tires. The Maxxis seem like the only real possibility for 15" tires. Who knows on the 16" conversion later. Read where you can and can't on that. Will follow those discussions too. Your actual usage on the same/similar RV using Maxxis is valuable to me. I posted here vs Reflection forum because some of you may have run the Maxxis before even though you might not be using them now (and bigger audience potentially). How many of you upgraded the Westlakes to Maxxis? If you have, how are they running on your Reflection? How many are content with Westlake? What kind of miles have you logged on either? My walk-through/1.5 hour demo, with my own PDI, is next week after all is installed. Thanks folks.

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's doubtful that many owners have switched to the Maxxis tires. I expect that they will when their tires get some miles and after problems occur. And for 15" tires, they're probably as good as it gets.

I'm chucking the new Westlakes for Bridgestone Duravis R250 16"ers on my Reflection 323BHS for peace of mind.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a horrible tire history on my last FW with Chinese tires. In fact one day, Ginnie and I were in the back yard and heard what sounded like a gunshot. When we investigated, we found that our year old spare tire had blown to pieces and it had never been on the ground. It had a sun cover on it, and the only time it was uncovered was to check the air pressure. I took it back to Discount Tire, and they decided to replace all five tires at no charge. I had several other strange failures before that.

So I was quite leery when our 337 was delivered with Westlake tires. At first, I was going to change them all out, but I'd read some pretty good reviews about recent Westlake tires and improvements they've done over the years. So I attached my TST TPMS and hit the road. At 14,000 miles, they look almost like new. There is no indication of tread/belt/sidewall problems. They retain their air pressure very well, and don't overheat. When I had the wheels balanced, they took very little weight to get them to zero.

So far, I'm a convert on Westlake tires. They appear to be holding up very well and I've yet to see any posts on this forum or the GD owner's Facebook page about serious problems. If I do change them out one of these days, I'll probably switch to LT tires though since the 337 has 16 inch tires.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim--your knowledge and expertise on many areas where we on this forum have questions is very much appreciated ! I too have had some mild concerns about the Westlake tires but once again, your feedback has helped to reassure and answer questions. You are the man !

By the way, did you clean your 337 roof from a ladder or up on the roof and how did you keep the cleaner from spilling/splashing off the RV sides/front/back ?

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info Jim! I have had some reservations about the Westlakes, but decided to roll with them for the time being. We use our trailer a lot for full time workers and weekend/vacation warriors, but don't travel the distances some of you do in the heat. With 3 to 4 hours being our longest vacation trip on average, I am content to let them roll a few seasons after reading your experience with them. Thanks Jim!
    Sean and Donna Duling
    2015 Reflection 337rls #627
    1996 F-350 CC 4x4 DRW 7.3L
    Ferndale Wa.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Like TucsonJim I had a great experience with the Westlake tires with a little over 10,000 miles on them. We had 0 problems and the only thing I had to do was to put 5# of air in the back rear tire one time.- that's it!

I decided to replace the Westlakes with the Maxxis only because we were going to take and extended trip this Winter. I could've put some LT (16 IN) tires on but checked with my insurance co. (Umbrella Policy) When talking to her I detected some hesitation in her voice when I said I wanted to switch to the Lt's. Now, to be sure, she never once said not to do it. BUT she never said it was OK to switch out. She said "[they] cover accidents with RVs all the time and usually w/out much additional investigation." Whoa! What does that mean!? "... usually without much additional investigation." I tried 3 times to get her to say it was all right to switch and went as far as to ask her why she was so evasive with her answer on LT tires and my 5th wheel. When pressed she replied that whatever is on the placard on the RV is the tire they recommend. I got an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. I have worked with insurance companies for over 30 years and if it comes down to the nut-cuttin' they are going to be very specific. I chose not to switch to the LT and I may regret it someday but should the worse happen I DO NOT want that hesitation or give them a simple out. But that is just me. So, Maxxiss it is. The best I can do in a difficult situation.

YMMV

Oh, I sold the Westlakes on Craig's list for $250 and had not hesitation in doing so. They were in excellent shape with no nick, dings or cuts.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this topic stirs folks. I hope no one thinks I'm bashing. I value your opinions and especially experience. I think we definitely need more reputable 15" tire choices and Maxxis aren't American made either. Hopefully, these conversations will help everyone doing searches. There's not much out there on Westlake other than the recall issue some time back and a general mistrust of "china bombs". In my case, I got the dealer to swap them out in the "if you'll change the tires to Maxxis, and throw in a second AC at no extra charge, I'll take it". You know how that goes though. That's only about $1K and they had the padding in the price already. I think I posted because I was curious and to validate my choice in the change. I'm the type that doesn't think Dodge is better than Ford or Chevy better than Dodge, etc. Each to their own.
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TucsonJim - I too had serious concerns about Westlake tires when we first ordered our Reflection. Figured I would replace them quickly, but kept watching your updates on mileage. We are up too almost 4,000 miles, excellent so far. It's reassuring you and others are 10k ahead of us with no problems. Money I can spend elsewhere for now. Thanks for all your advice.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed out the POS Goodyear Marathon tires for Maxxis on my last 5er. The Maxxis were good tires and I put about 25K miles on them before they needed to be replaced over about 5 years. 15" tires and 5200# axles were two of the big reasons we went with a 337 over the 303.

Hope this helps.

George
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webpilot View Post
    I changed out the POS Goodyear Marathon tires for Maxxis on my last 5er. The Maxxis were good tires and I put about 25K miles on them before they needed to be replaced over about 5 years. 15" tires and 5200# axles were two of the big reasons we went with a 337 over the 303.

Hope this helps.

George
    Interesting...everything I've seen place Goodyear Marathon and Maxxis as equals and a tier above the other Chinese made brands.

I really recommend that regardless of the brand of tires on the camper, have a good TPMS added.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast