User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U bolt concerns

beatcop49

U bolt concerns

I just purchased a 2015 Reflection 308 Travel Trailer...haven't even picked it up yet. I've been reading of some of the hiccups and issues, most which do not bother me. I have read about a few issues with the axle U Bolts. My wife is a travel nurse and we are currently on contract, 2500 miles from home. We are trading in our current travel trailer for the new Reflection. We have to have this trailer to live in...we do not have time to leave it for days at a dealer for repairs. I was wondering if this U bolt problem is specific to the 5vers or is it general to all Grand Design products, and if so, has it been resolved.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no recurring issues with any U bolts on Grand Design products...
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huntr70, I was hoping you would see this and comment. It is good having someone in your position commenting on stuff like this.

Thanks.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

beatcop49
    I appreciate it. That was my only real worry. I'm kind of excited about picking it up. We've been in a 23 foot TT since May of last year.

agoutdoors
    Quote Originally Posted by beatcop49 View Post
    I just purchased a 2015 Reflection 308 Travel Trailer...haven't even picked it up yet. I've been reading of some of the hiccups and issues, most which do not bother me. I have read about a few issues with the axle U Bolts. My wife is a travel nurse and we are currently on contract, 2500 miles from home. We are trading in our current travel trailer for the new Reflection. We have to have this trailer to live in...we do not have time to leave it for days at a dealer for repairs. I was wondering if this U bolt problem is specific to the 5vers or is it general to all Grand Design products, and if so, has it been resolved.
    So far, it appears that I am the only one that has had an axle become dislodged from its mount (likely due to the U bolts not being tight enough), hopefully that means its an isolated situation. It would be easy to have a mechanic put a torque wrench on them to make sure they are at the manufacturer's specified torque rating. Lippert Components makes the frame and axle assembly for GD on the 5th wheels, so check to see who is doing the travel trailers when you get there, but I am going to guess that its the same company.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is our fourth camper in about 6 years and I always check the torque on the lug nuts, shackle bolts and axle u-bolts as soon as I get it home and after the first 100 miles. Surprising how often you have to tighten some of them until you get a couple thousand miles on the rig. After that I check torque settings before every trip, along with air pressure, etc.
    Marvin & Marion
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 Ram 2500HD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bigtime
    Just today I completely lost the hex head correct track bolt that holds the spring in the shackle that is welded to the frame. We were very lucky that the axle wrapped forward and not backward so that I could still tow and make it to a dealer for repair. Just happened to notice that my trailer was dog legging behind me and started to sway a lot. All I can say is thank goodness for 4 seasons RV in Kansas as they had me fixed and back on the road in no time.

scott42blue
    Bigtime
    There is a recall on some GD Toy Haulers. My 355 TH was one them. It involves the exact bolt you are talking about. GD came across with flying colors on mine. Overnight shipping, payed for everything. I could not have asked for anything more. Contact then with your VIN #. If yours is part of recall I bet $ 100 they will take care of it.
    Good Luck
    Scott

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked the bolts on our new 27RL and a couple of the nuts on the U bolts, I could tighten a quarter turn or so. Other's were tight as could be.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the torque specs for the correct trak and shackle bolts in the owners manual? Don't have mine handy, but I do know the specs on my wheels. Have a 380TH. Thanks.
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast