User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrible internet at camp site - OPTIONS??

GOOD DAY!

We are atg a nice camp site with terrible wifi. I have a Verizon JetPack 8800L which seems to need recharging often - is this normal? Also, even with my Jetpack, or our two AT&T iPhones (w/Hotspots), little to no internet. What can we do or get to improve this. We're near a small town, it doesn't have a Office Depot. No Best Buy - and I dont think we have an option for delivery. Though we do plan to be here for a few more days.

We don't have an unlimited budget, but would gladly spend a $300.00 - $500.00 if we could get much improved service, over the basically no service we have now.

Suggestions??? I'm not likely to drill holes in my ceiling/roof - as I'm not sure how to do that yet - and our trek to Florida from Seattle, well, this isn't a good time to learn. I wouldn't mind an antenna mounted on the ladder, or any options some of you might suggest?

Thanks!
    Steve

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WeBoost by Wilson is the best bet, but, it's online only. I know some people who snake the cable through the emergency exit window to avoid drilling holes.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You say little to no internet. Does that mean performance is slow or does it mean your cellular signal is weak? You can’t do anything about the first except switch providers. A booster and maybe a directional antenna might help with the second.

As to frequent recharging, cellular devices use much more power in weak or noisy signal areas.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    You say little to no internet. Does that mean performance is slow or does it mean your cellular signal is weak? You can’t do anything about the first except switch providers. A booster and maybe a directional antenna might help with the second.

As to frequent recharging, cellular devices use much more power in weak or noisy signal areas.
    It is slow and weak signal

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have Weboost and although it shows an increase in dB, rarely does it translate in better internet. Maybe im doing something wrong, but not really impressed.
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John612 View Post
    We have Weboost and although it shows an increase in dB, rarely does it translate in better internet. Maybe im doing something wrong, but not really impressed.
    If you look at the specs, the WeBoost does best with voice, not data. There are other options out there, but all the ones I'm researching require doing holes.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing I'd do is use cellmapper.net to locate the cell towers. If you're nowhere near a tower, even a great antenna might not help. Cellmapper will tell you what direction the nearest and strongest cell tower is.

If I were you, I'd look at something like a cell router like the MoFi 4500. http://mofinetwork.com/index.php?mai...20and%20speed.

There are other cell routers like the the Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2, that allow you to subscribe to multiple carriers. The router will switch to whichever carrier has the best signal and data speeds. https://5gstore.com/product/7865_pep...x_br1_mk2.html

You can pair these with a directional exterior mount antenna that will give you a significant boost to the signal you receive.

Go to eBay and find a reseller of an unlimited data plan for the carrier/s of your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    GOOD DAY!

We are atg a nice camp site with terrible wifi. I have a Verizon JetPack 8800L which seems to need recharging often - is this normal? Also, even with my Jetpack, or our two AT&T iPhones (w/Hotspots), little to no internet. What can we do or get to improve this. We're near a small town, it doesn't have a Office Depot. No Best Buy - and I dont think we have an option for delivery. Though we do plan to be here for a few more days.

We don't have an unlimited budget, but would gladly spend a $300.00 - $500.00 if we could get much improved service, over the basically no service we have now.

Suggestions??? I'm not likely to drill holes in my ceiling/roof - as I'm not sure how to do that yet - and our trek to Florida from Seattle, well, this isn't a good time to learn. I wouldn't mind an antenna mounted on the ladder, or any options some of you might suggest?

Thanks!
    Steve
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mark, I missed that.
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    GOOD DAY!

Thanks!
    Steve
    As several others have already told you, a typical cell phone booster system will probably improve your voice reliability but won't make much difference on data performance.

Conversely, an external antenna for the 8800 will probably improve data reliability and maybe its performance a bit, but do nothing for voice.

You can probably get both improvements for just a little more than $500.

The WeBoost RV will boost voice service. It needs to have an antenna outside mounted at least slightly above roof level (if an omnidirectional antenna) or about five feet or more above the roof if a directional antenna (like the one linked below). As someone else has advised, you can run the cable through a back window, but drilling a hole in the back wall of the trailer and into cupboards you may have there is really NOT a big deal. I drilled a 1" hole behind the ladder with a hole saw and installed an inexpensive marine cable passthrough fitting. Know that this WeBoost device has a limited range inside the trailer - sometimes you have to sit close to the indoor antenna to notice a difference on your cell phone. I think these cost around $500 - haven't checked lately.

An external antenna for the 8800L will improve its performance and - as someone has pointed out - will also improve its battery life. An antenna will cost less than $100.

I have the Netgear antenna below costing about $40. It's OK - it rarely provides night-and-day improvements - but it definitely does something most of the time. I just set it in a window closest to the cell tower.

https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-60004...9058146&sr=8-4

This antenna below should theoretically provide significant performance improvement. However it has to be mounted on a pole 5 feet or so above your trailer roof and be carefully pointed at the cell tower. That takes you back to the cable-through-the-window or drill-through-the-wall decision. If you're staying in one spot as I think you are, this antenna (with or without drilling) would be the way to go. I'm thinking of getting one myself.

https://www.amazon.com/Verizon-Jetpa...9058197&sr=8-8

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by boyscout; 09-02-2020 at 09:08 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wait until you get to the next campground if you're traveling. It's a cheap option.

Other than that my suggestion (and what I would do if I wanted to spend the $$$$) would be a full-blow, residential type booster; NOT an RV or mobile booster. One with an external antenna I could raise above the RV roof and point. I had one of those mobile boosters once (whatever was before WEBoost) and the phone had to stay in a cradle and I wasn't happy with the performance.

If you camp much than sooner or later you will be in an area with no cellular or WiFi and have to travel to get some to accomplish very necessary things (pay bills, etc.). And then no matter how much you spent it was all for naught. (maybe that's why I haven't put in a booster yet)

oh - and campground WiFi is hardly ever better than a good cell connection.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast